Old 11-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Our Safari came with an option package that includes Corian countertops, along with other items like heat pump, spare tire, black water flush, and fantastic fan. Corian is okay, but really does not affect our use of the trailer in any meaningful way. The other package items do have value. I would not recommend extra effort just to have Corian counters in a trailer. Everyone's priorities will differ though...
When I asked the salesman, he said they weren't available as an upgrade on the Safari. The model we were looking at had the LS upgrade with all of the other items you mention, but not the corian counters. They may have dropped them from the 2004 and 2005 models (we saw both on the lot at the time with LS packages). He may have been mistaken about them being available as part of another package, or they might be a separate a'la carte item, but he didn't say so. Of course, he didn't seem too knowledgeable or too interested in finding out.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
The counter top turned out beautiful and the lowering of the stove turned out great. We plan to purchase a 30' Safari Bunkhouse and I was thinking about replacing the counter and dinette with corian, too. I will probably go with corian to match the formica as close as posible to preserve the look of the interior design, just upgrade it a little because we like the corian better than the formica. There is so little in the kitchen it shouldn't be all that expensive. And maybe we can get a close out like Bob Thompson did.
We didn't lower the stove. We raised the counter approximately 1 &1/2", shimmed up with plywood strips. We still have all the drawer space underneath.

5W-30 Synthetic
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Looking at the Airstream Web Site it appears that the LS package no longer includes Corian countertops.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Looking at the Airstream Web Site it appears that the LS package no longer includes Corian countertops.
Yes, I had noticed that on both the website and in the literature from the dealer. I guess that was a cost cutting measure from Airstream. Too bad. Well, I guess I can always have a cabinet maker install it later.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Our Safari came with an option package that includes Corian countertops, along with other items like heat pump, spare tire, black water flush, and fantastic fan. Corian is okay, but really does not affect our use of the trailer in any meaningful way. The other package items do have value. I would not recommend extra effort just to have Corian counters in a trailer. Everyone's priorities will differ though...
What size Safari do you have? Were you able to get a built-in microwave? We were told by the salesman that we could get a built-in micro in the 30" bunkhouse, but I have been told that others were told they could not by other dealers.

There is an oversized medicine cabinet that backs up to the wall next to the range that is about 18" deep. It is between the range and the bathroom and located behind the spice rack. We were told that this is where the built-in micro would go and the medicine cabinet would be made shallower or surface mounted in the bathroom.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
We have a Safari 25SS, so the layout is much different. Our trailer does not have a microwave, although I believe that it was available. Ours has a tall slide-out pantry to the right of the sink where the microwave would go.

We enjoy forest service, park service, and state park campgrounds the most - no hookups. So we prefer storage space over a microwave.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:32 AM   #21

corian counter top

Rod,

can you show some photos of the corian over the stove part lifted so that we can see the mechanics? My husband and I just purchased on 1/1/05 a 2001 19' bambi and I'm in the process of making new dinette covers. I would like to replace the rug and counters as well. Can you tell me how difficult it was to put down the flooring also?

MirandaG
Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

It will take a day or two

I'll be happy to, but it will probably be Monday before I can get the pictures posted. You know the routine; charge the batteries of the digital camera, take the pictures, and post them on the web.

The floor replacement was not especially hard but it did take some time.
I started on a Sunday morning one weekend and finished the job working the next Saturday and Sunday morning.

The first step was to remove the dinette. Next I removed the carpet and pad, I cut the carpet, leaving it under the water tank, stove and sink, and under the refrigerator. The egde of the hard floor is under the dinette when it is replaced so that the carpet edge doesn't show. The other edges were covered by 1/4 round I installed around the refrigerator and closet-stove-sink area. The other areas the edge was finished by using matching colored caulking compound. (these areas don't show very much since they are under the dinette).

The part that took the most time was cutting out the back of 3/4" 1/4 round so that it would fit smoothly against the existing rounded corners and trim.

The installation of the floor was very straight forward as it is a floating floor on a foam pad and the pieces of flooring snap together.

I will take more pictures of the counter tops this weekend and post them on Monday. We have used the trailer several times since we had the counters redone and it really makes a huge difference. It makes the kitchen seem atleast 4x larger. Everything is easier,food preparation(pre cook) and washing dishes, and it looks better closed. We are really happy with the new counter top. I really believe that AS should consider offering this a an upgrade option.
5W-30 Synthetic
Old 01-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
2nd time this week

No members photo album in the drop down menu or at profile page. Wonder why? I wanna see too!

Quote:
We have a Safari 25SS, so the layout is much different. Our trailer does not have a microwave, although I believe that it was available. Ours has a tall slide-out pantry to the right of the sink where the microwave would go.

We enjoy forest service, park service, and state park campgrounds the most - no hookups. So we prefer storage space over a microwave.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 AM   #24

to find photos

wheel interested,
hit photos on top menu bar and them go to member's photo gallery. there you will see all the photos you want by selecting the member's first letter name from the abcdef........list, then scroll down until you find the member you are looking for.

MirandaG
Old 01-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #25

floors

Rod,

I take it you are still able to open bottom drawers. Did you put caulking there also? What about the vinyl tiles in front of the bed? Did you remove those too?

MirandaG
Old 04-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
What did the shipping cost? It seems like that would be horrible. Your AS looks great.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

No shipping

No shipping the counter guy built it in place.
I just gave him the key to the storage barn and wrote a check when he was done.
5W-30 Synthetic
Old 04-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Corian is great, but it will melt. I've actually seen a guy make canisters out of it by rolling it around a cylinder and letting it cool, then inserting a bottom and gluing the bottom and side seam together. Leaving a crock pot on a countertop all day might not be all that pretty!.

Your flush mount stove is drool worthy, though!

Paula