Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Considering putting in recliners

We own a 2008 Classic 31 and I am thinking of removing the couch and putting in two leather recliners. So far the Lambright Lazy Relaxor Wall Hugger appears to be the best fit for the available space. I will probably remove the fwd. seat of the dinette if needed to make sure there is plenty of leg room. Occupants are only my wife and I and I don't see losing the table seating as an issue. The Lambright chairs show to have a 3.5 inch wall distance and are 65 inchs when full reclined. Any suggestions for maybe a more suitable chair? Are there any owners out there who have maybe modified the 31 footer for recliners? Any helpful thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks... steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Steve,

Several members have either considered or gone the recliner route. Here are some recent threads on the subject.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ight=lambright

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ight=recliners

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ight=recliners

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ight=recliners

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ight=recliners

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Kevin... thanks for the links. A lot of good comments and pictures to provide me with some good ideas.
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Recliners

When my wife and I purchased our 34' Limited it had the sofa couch on the front of the coach running east and west. As my wife had a stroke and is paralyzed on her right side we decided to make room for her lifting/recliner chair.

I removed the couch to make room for her chair and I purchased a Flexsteel recliner for myself. We have enough room for her chair to go almost to full recline, and my chair can fully recline too. It does make the salon a bit smaller, but since we have cocktails for 6, dinner for 4, but we only sleep 2 it works for us.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
l shaped reclining sectional?

I'd like an L-shaped sectional that'd fit into the classic 30 front end-even (probably) if I have to remove the cabinet directly in front of the dinette, it'd be worth it. I have looked at various mfg's of reclining sectionals, but haven't seen the one to trip my trigger, yet. Any ideas?
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Recliners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary View Post
We own a 2008 Classic 31 and I am thinking of removing the couch and putting in two leather recliners. So far the Lambright Lazy Relaxor Wall Hugger appears to be the best fit for the available space. I will probably remove the fwd. seat of the dinette if needed to make sure there is plenty of leg room. Occupants are only my wife and I and I don't see losing the table seating as an issue. The Lambright chairs show to have a 3.5 inch wall distance and are 65 inchs when full reclined. Any suggestions for maybe a more suitable chair? Are there any owners out there who have maybe modified the 31 footer for recliners? Any helpful thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks... steve

We have a 2008 Classic 30' and have removed the front sofa which went side to side. It was not comfortable for either of us and since we only travel with the 2 of us we didn't need the pull out bed. I've completed the 1st phase which was removal of the sofa, construction of a lower cabinet to enclose the battery boxes and relocation of all the electrical components that were buried underneath the sofa. I did it so that the new cabinetry exactly matched the overhead cabinetry. I'll start the second phase next week. It will include a new cabinet that will sit on top of the cabinet that covered the battery boxes and the electrical. In addition I will remove the double fold out tables and install a face frame, shelf and two doors which will give me a nice liquor cabinet so the next time I run into a certain someone who prefers bourbon, I'll have a bottle or two. After looking at a lot of different recliners we decided on the "Stressless" from Ekornes in a taupe leather that fits with our interior colors. I posted a lot of pictures of the first phase from start to finish and will do the same for the second phase which should be completed within a couple of weeks. Jerry.