Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
Question Can I fix a crack this big in a bathroom counter?

Hi,

I apologize if there is a thread about this somewhere. I've searched and I can't seem to find any information on trying to repair a crack like this. So I don't know if it can be done.
I would like to just take the entire piece out and start over but I'm not sure I could do that myself. Looking for any advice I can get. I am hoping there's a way to mend it and then redo the counter top. Also I can't get to the underneath the crack. There's a piece of wood there. The crack is way back in the corner of the sink section. There is a seam just at the edge of the sink on the left. Thanks in advance for any ideas. I figured I'd try to see if anyone has tried to fix something like this with success before I start making a mess. Here's a few pics to give you an idea.
Thanks,
2Alaska
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cornersink.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	62273   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	62274  

Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Ouch!

I haven't repaired anything like that but I think if I had to I might try a fiberglass kit like they use on cars. Anybody ever done this?

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Yes you can! I did it. Mine was even worse in 3 separate pieces. Here's what I did although labor intensive:

1.I took out the counter which by the way was PBS plastic
2. Cut out a piece of plywood to fit under and inside the counter.
3. Put a layer of fiberglass matting and epoxy resin on top of the plywood
4. Glue, screw and clamp the counter to the plywood epoxy sandwich including countersunk screws through the countertop.
5. Bondo the surface
6. Paint with 2 part epoxy
Old 06-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Thanks Lumatic!
Did you happen to take any pictures? I am wondering how hard it will be to get the piece out. Your answer sounds just like what I am looking to do. I am happy to know that there's a solution!
2Alaska
Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Alaska View Post
I am wondering how hard it will be to get the piece out.
2Alaska
Pull out the trim across the top of the sink and along the front. Drill out the rivets in the aluminum strips, unhook the plumbing and the sink lifts off.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Albany , Georgia
If the part is made of ABS plastic, then you can buy a sheet of ABS plastic and use some ABS cement to glue the sheet to the under side of the counter. There is a lot of info on the web concerning repair of motorcycle parts, (ABS Plastic Repair - SquidBusters - How-To ) for example.
I saw one web site where a guy shaved an ABS pipe in a planer, dissolved the shavings in some acetone, and used that mixture to make a new dash panel for his car.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Albany , Georgia
Black Water Tank Repair
check out this page also.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Fiberglass Kits

The resin in "fiberglass kits" is polyester resin. It works, but expands very slightly where it contacts the PBS. It is what I used. It did not work as well in the cracks themselves. That is why I suggest epoxy resin. It's a little harder to come by, more expensive and harder to work with. You use it with the fiberglass exactly the same. If you could get under the counter to put in your reinforcement material without removing the whole counter it will save you a day. The plumbing is also a pain. I had to buy a special plumbing long handle jammy to reach up to where the lines connect to the faucet.

I have photos somewhere but right now I don't have time to dig them out. I'm sitting here partially dressed trying to get ready for work. But that is probably more information on that subject than you really want. If you really want them let me know.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Thanks everyone,
I appreciate all the information.
I want back and read the thread Lumatic started before Removing/repairing bathroom sink/counter and it was also very helpful.
I don't think I can get under the counter without removing the bottom wall section of the adjacent closet since all of the plumbing is in the way from the other side. I'll look more closely at that option today. No worries about pictures. If they were handy that would be one thing.
Thanks again,
2Alaska
Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Smile

Cover it with a place mat, put a plant on it . . DONE!
No really. .I am up against the same thing (but not as bad) as you. We will be needing to fix a crack in our Bath and found this thread to be very helpful. Thanks guys and Gals
Quote:
Hi,

I apologize if there is a thread about this somewhere. I've searched and I can't seem to find any information on trying to repair a crack like this. So I don't know if it can be done.
I would like to just take the entire piece out and start over but I'm not sure I could do that myself. Looking for any advice I can get. I am hoping there's a way to mend it and then redo the counter top. Also I can't get to the underneath the crack. There's a piece of wood there. The crack is way back in the corner of the sink section. There is a seam just at the edge of the sink on the left. Thanks in advance for any ideas. I figured I'd try to see if anyone has tried to fix something like this with success before I start making a mess. Here's a few pics to give you an idea.
Thanks,
2Alaska
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
I like the plant idea the best!

I worked on it in place trying to align the cracks and mend it without removing it. I used a bonding agent for porus and non porus surfaces. Don't rememer the name off the top of my head. Said it was good on plastics so I grabbed it and figured I'd give it a try. It dries clear and if it works well I will just be able to repaint. (I may still need to put a plant there though!) Takes 24 hours to know if it worked well enough. If not I'll remove it and go from there.
Thanks again for all the help.
2Alaska
Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Did it work?

Quote:
I like the plant idea the best!

I worked on it in place trying to align the cracks and mend it without removing it. I used a bonding agent for porus and non porus surfaces. Don't rememer the name off the top of my head. Said it was good on plastics so I grabbed it and figured I'd give it a try. It dries clear and if it works well I will just be able to repaint. (I may still need to put a plant there though!) Takes 24 hours to know if it worked well enough. If not I'll remove it and go from there.
Thanks again for all the help.
2Alaska
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
Creel Campers

1975 27' Overlander
Zachary , Louisiana
Would this work with a crack I found at the top of my tub? It is almost 1" long, coming down from the middle outer edge. Looks like someone sat/stood on it?? I am hoping that since it is at the top, I can get it sealed before it becomes a bigger problem.
Several years ago, we had a crack in the bottom of a tub in our old Apache. We tried the fiberglass, but could not get it to seal, probably because some of us are not as small as we used to be....
Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
if you scroll down to around post #73 you can see what I did with a similar crack..

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...r-38434-6.html

much easier to fix from behind when removed. filled the top gaps with Bondo, sanded, painted with Interlux poly...

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote