Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I like the plant idea

I like the plant idea in post #10. Anything else seems like an awful amount of work.

I would use silk flowers though. I'm retired. Don't want anything I have to take care of. Besides, there's a water shortage in California you know.

Just kidding................

I'd probably fix it. I'd probably do such a nice job that it would make the rest of the trailer look bad. That's how it would work for me. Then I would have a really big project making the rest of the trailer look that nice.

On second thought........Do the flower thing.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
A commerical repairman told me that they use non expanding foam to back up the crack and then fix the surface. Works well for plastic shower pans, etc.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
Well I fixed the crack but it's not as pretty as I would've liked. It will do the job though. I'm going to repaint it now and it should be pretty hard to tell there was such a large crack there. I'm going to repaint the shower/tub area as well so that it will all look nice. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.
Thanks for all tips for everyone. They helped a lot!
2Alaska
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
How do you plan to repaint? Please tell us the steps you plan to use and the products you will use. Can't wait to see pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Alaska View Post
Well I fixed the crack but it's not as pretty as I would've liked. It will do the job though. I'm going to repaint it now and it should be pretty hard to tell there was such a large crack there. I'm going to repaint the shower/tub area as well so that it will all look nice. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.
Thanks for all tips for everyone. They helped a lot!
2Alaska
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
Creel Campers

1975 27' Overlander
Zachary , Louisiana
I appreciate the help. My husband is now disabled, and I am not sure he could get in our small bathroom and be able to walk out again. It almost killed him to fix our hot water heater. He was a carpenter by trade, so he knows how to do remodel work. His back is really messed up. It is very hard for him to camp...but I won't give it up! We love camping and we adore our Airstream! It is just showing age like the rest of us! We were watching an Airstream remodel on youtube last night. It really gave us the bug to work on ours....just need to be flexible enough to get in some small spaces. I work alot of OT to try to supplement the ss disablity he receives. Our camping trips are all that keeps me going at times! We just got back from 5 days at Flint Creek Waterpark in Wiggins, MS. I have to go back to work tomorrow to prepare for inventory and machine rebuilds....when is our next trip?????
P.S. I just checked out your website. I love your photos! My daughter is married to a fellow from New Orleans. They got married at Mardi Gras World! A fantastic intro to N.O. for her out of town family! It was a whirlwind intro into a world we have never seen. We stayed at the downtown Hilton, went to the West Bank for the rehearsal supper in English Turn, and got to see alot of post-Katrina results. We wanted to just take the Airstream, but there was no place open to park it because of the storm/recovery efforts. But all in all we had a great time!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
rembert , South Carolina
can I askif any of these methodswork on cigarette burns on the tub and sink?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have a 78, 24ft Argosy that had a hole in the sink in that rear bath. You can't get to much in ours and you can't even change out the faucet without taking the whole sink structure out. We used fiberglass and then bondo, sanded it down and then painted the whole sink. It looks great and you can't even see the patch. I've used just almond colored caulk to fix discolorations and cigarette burns and then lightly sanded over them. It works well. I've also used the caulk method on our 76 Sovereign and it blends well. Just shop around for the right color caulk. There are so many off white ones. I just get the kitchen/tub type in the squeese tube. No problems so far.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
If you can't get under something like this to do a repair, you can sometimes superglue the end of a matchstick or similar item to the top surface and use that as a handle to pull the cracked pieces up. Then a couple of drops of thin superglue, followed by a little gap-filling superglue to secure things and fill any gaps. break or cut off the matchsticks and sand with a block to keep from making dips. If you get really good at this you may be able to avoid the whole repainting process. You can try removing the matchsticks using de-bonder, very carefully, as not to get it on the repaired cracks, then sand with 220 grit and finish with a little polishing compound
Good luck, Rich