Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2003, 08:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Cabinet Latch Hell

I give up- I took the latch apart and can't get it back together. The new latches from Inland RV are slightly different than the originals, and now the latch won't grab the catch to keep the door closed. Can someone explain the spring mechanism or perhaps refer me to a diagram? I don't recall seeing a schematic for the dang latches in my manual.

Thanks once again to any responders-
This forum rules! I actually did a nice job with the new marmoleum flooring. Hopefully some pictures will be posted soon...
Old 09-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Okay... Now I see

After calming myself, I took apart one more latch and realized that the problem was with the new parts...

They don't work!! ...Thanks Inland RV! ($30 for two sets)

I took a utility knife to several pieces, along with some 150 grit sand paper to try and smooth out the hack marks. Got the latches to work, though they still tend to stick open.

Time and use should heal this one...

PS- Cutting up the mosquito guard to fit was also great fun. Again, not possible without sand paper, a sharp knife, and some patience.

Success is nice.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Had the exact same problem with my new latches from Inland. Ended up sanding and scraping the heck out of them and they still occasionally stick.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
No comment.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In

Why has neither of you called me, to arrive at an answer.

Another misunderstanding?

Or is it easier to be negative?????

Negative posts don't belong on this site, without first, getting an answer to a problem, any problem.
No, no Andy, its not easier to be negative, sometimes its easier to just let it go.
When I ordered a front window latch from you, I received the wrong one.
So I shipped it back at my expense.
You send me the right one and charged me again for shipping and did not reimburse me for my shipping.
Then the window latch did not work and I CALLED YOU about it and send you a picture of the problem. I fixed it by using the old spring of my broken latch.
I never heard back from you again, nor did you offer to reimburse me for shipping and/or the defective part. I paid $109.18 plus $10.- shipping, $4.- shipping and again $7.- shipping for a latch they did not work and you knew it.
So tell me what else could I have done to resolve this problem with you.
Before you get all upset with me, please remember that I did exactly what you are asking for in your post.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
simmer down now, Andy!

Yes, I guess I am happy to even be able to get parts for my Overlander, what now, nearly 30 years old? What would I have done without a new A/C shroud? I appreciate your being able to get us what we need. I do believe your customers should realize that some of the parts available are just about the best representation of the original that can be had, and thus may require modification. I will call you and get you the details on my experiences.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ah yes Peter.

How soon we forget.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I did thank you several times, in private AND in public for saving me from ordering the wrong panel.......
1 1/2 years ago.
Thank you, again!
For you to tell nice folks to stop being negative or that they are not willing to resolve problems is simply wrong and uncalled for.
We, the consumers have a right to be frustrated at times, just as you have that right as a dealer.
And no, I did not think you took me on that latch, I just thought you did not handle it very professionally.
I hope you enjoyed your dinner.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
No More Tears

For the sake of clarification- there's a big difference between negative posts (that should be banned from a site) and factual comments on some crappy plastic parts...

Big Deal!! Someone missed the positive theme of making due with inferior parts and not calling to complain while requesting a refund... which is probably well-deserved.

Let me also say that both Andy and Inland RV have been extremely helpful on this site and privately over the phone. However, by including themselves in this type of forum, they are certainly running the risk of occasional negative feedback.

For the record: It's nice to order replacement parts for an old airstream. But once again, the door latches did not function at all without significant modification. They don't come with instructions or any mention of their potential inoperability.

I'll leave it at that...
Old 09-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
to quote an old car guy ( or was it a chicken guy?)
"Parts is Parts"

unfortunately too many of the "vintage" and oem replacement stuff is overpriced and under on quality. We never know when we order from anymore just what we will get. This is not aimed at any specific vendor by the way....
I had buyers remorse over a number of specialty items I got that just didn't quite seem worth the bucks but then what else can you do?
For the vendors they have to absorb the criticism that is dished out, just as we have to absorb the high cost of purchases and shipping and handling, and restocking fees, etc. Sure its hell being a vendor, and it sure can be hell being a consumer. At least we can choose from whom we buy. (whom??)

Thank God we all have a place to vent!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
IRV

Thanks John,

What you've said as needed to be said for a long time.

Mike
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:11 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Parts is Parts

Amen...

Walking away (coupled with venting on this site) prevented some serious part smashing. Inland RV should consider an occasional follow-up check on functionality, maybe as a means of quality control -or simply test what they sell (once in awhile) and warn customers if there's any potential for problems.

The beauty of the internet hath been seen.

I love the engaging nature of this forum -and I apologize for stepping on any toes.

You can't put a price on free advice.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
does anyone know where I can find cabinet latches to a 1966? hey were only used in that year Thanks John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John.

Most 66 owners switched all the cabinet hardware to the 67 type. Those latches are available and are actually better than the 66 type.

Andy
Old 01-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Thanks Andy- I am a little reluctant thou after reading what has been said about some of the items that others have commented......
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote