Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Cabinet Doors

does anyone know where to find replacement for the doors that roll back into the cabinet? They are made of little strips of wood glued to a backing. I know this because they fall apart piece by piece. Any help would be appreciated!
Tammy
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - those doors are called tambour doors.

They are not available as a stock replacement but the materials are available and some forum members have done rebuilds. Use the search tool on the upper blue bar and do a search for tambour doors.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, my PO re-did some of ours. He said it was a pain, but it doesn't look too hard to me. But then I've never done one.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
keep an eye on the For sale items on this forum . They periodically come up as people modernize their units.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you have to just "dig" to find someone thats re-doing their interior and getting rid of their old doors. ebay, classifieds here on the forums, etc...

If they're just falling apart, and you have all the pieces, they can be glued back together. check this link:

http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Tambour source

I'm a professional cabinetmaker and gutted my '73 Sovereign the day I got it.
I posted a thread offering any of the interior, but truthfully couldn't imagine anyone wanting it, even when it was brand new.
You can buy replacement doors or new tambour to cut to size at Outwater Hardware. Ask them to mail you a catalog, it's easier to use.
Jeff
Tell 'em Dovetail sent ya!

WWW.OutwaterHardware.com
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail
I'm a professional cabinetmaker and gutted my '73 Sovereign the day I got it.
I posted a thread offering any of the interior, but truthfully couldn't imagine anyone wanting it, even when it was brand new.
thats because you're a professional cabinetmaker.

I am NOT. Thats why I'd want it!

Sure, I'd love to rip out the interior and completely replace it. But that would mean "I'm not going camping this year...and probably not next year, too", because thats how long it would take me to do such a thing. But replacing missing/fixing broken tambour doors can be done without disrupting the use of the trailer. I want your old ones, because they don't make anything quite like it anymore. the fake wood finish is unique, and there isn't anything like it available today. (I work at an architectural firm; we have samples of every type of laminate material made...trust me, I checked).

I was able to obtain some old doors and associated parts from a couple of people that have been doing complete remodels. Could use more, if you've still got any. Or put it on e-bay, and it'll get snapped up.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
New tambour material is available and has been referenced in multiple threads. Search on the word, Winona.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
New tambour material is available and has been referenced in multiple threads. Search on the word, Winona.
Tambour is available; but not "the" tambour that matches the finish in an early 70's airstream.

great for a complete renovation; not so much for putting things back "the way they were"
Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Thanks everyone. I will see what can find out. I would like to replace them, but my husband doesn't want to take away from the origonality of the airstream. If it were up to me, I would replace all of the old wood!!
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:02 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Why replace the tambours??

They are an invention of the devil. As soon as I get back from this extended trip I''m going to replace mine with real doors. Tambours are the stupidest thing for a trailer I can't imagine why Airstream stuck with them for so long. If they don't get clogged with stuff or get off the track, then stuff shifts so they can't be opened without a crowbar which is how they get damaged.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Cleaning the tracks helps only so much, but silicone lubricant will be your best friend to get along with tambour. For several discussions search the forums on: tambour silicone

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
well, I think it was a bad implementation of a good idea. Tambour is a perfect TT door; don't take up any "swing out" space, can't pop open under way, etc. However, it was not a good idea to make them out of what is essentially "card board". its too prone to swelling from the temperature and humidity extremes found in most trailers. and the backing that holds them together simply disintegrates over time. If they'd made them from a more stable material, like alluminum...maybe a solid hardwood. I know someone that replaced some of his doors w/ alluminum tambours, and they work really well.

as far as "silicone" goes, I think I've seen more people say "no" to that than "yes". anything liquid will get soaked into the slats, and make them swell. graphite powder seems to work well...we'll see how it holds up.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
What about painting them?

Anything special to consider?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
as far as "silicone" goes, I think I've seen more people say "no" to that than "yes". anything liquid will get soaked into the slats, and make them swell.
Hmm, curious ... I didn't think as far as Airstreams being different from my Argosy's plastic tambour. I think it's plastic -- I'll have to double check next time I'm out at the Argo. Yes, the backing is a weak point.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
maybe I'm in a minority, but I actually like tambour doors. They save space, always close - even if accidentally left open and ours have held up fairly well. If we ever need to replace, we'll replace with tambour.

When we got our Minuet, the axle was shot and the trailer rode hard. It took a toll on the cabinets. They practically shook apart. Rivets and screws tweaked and pulled and the tambours didn't run smoothly because they were binding on tracks that weren't plumb. Once we replaced the running gear and tightened up and repaired the cabinets they worked well and still do. My only complaint is that the little plastic stops that hold them open have started to crack after years in the desert - anyone have any direct replacements?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
maybe I'm in a minority, but I actually like tambour doors. They save space, always close - even if accidentally left open and ours have held up fairly well. If we ever need to replace, we'll replace with tambour.
I am glad someone else spoke up in defense of tambour doors. I was afraid I would be sent to Forum Pergatory, but I like them as well. The PO of my trailer took very good care of them. Most of them have had new backings put on them and the are very functional. I have one small one under the stove that is split, but since it is a wasted space I wedged it closed.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Another vote for the tambour , I like the look and the function , they're never in the way . A good cleaning of the tracks , especially the spiral where it rolls up will do wonders.

A plea to those who choose to remove them . Please don't throw them out , offer them up , someone needs them.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Another vote for the tambour , I like the look and the function , they're never in the way . A good cleaning of the tracks , especially the spiral where it rolls up will do wonders.

A plea to those who choose to remove them . Please don't throw them out , offer them up , someone needs them.
And it doesn't hurt that your tambour doors are in fantastic condition, like the rest of your rig!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
And it doesn't hurt that your tambour doors are in fantastic condition, like the rest of your rig!
Thanks . No it doesn't hurt at all .

I have repaired tambour before for roll top desks . I found a canvas/nylon blend material and glued it to the back and it worked slick