Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #1

1972 25' Tradewind
Norfolk , Virginia
Bunk bed less than $100 and it's not ugly!!!

Faced with the nice camper that sleeps 4 and having 5, and neither of us wanting to stand watch over a "tented teenager", we worked out this which is pretty close to what ive seen of the original hardware. I gingerly tested it to, um... lets say 130 lbs but im planning to put a 40 l kid in it. Big kid gets the bottom.
Coleman Ridgesomething 2 cot from Walmart .. it has a foam pad and nice springy bits $43
4 nailer plates $4
2 Chain link gate tension clips $1.10
7 feet chain $5
2 saddle brackets $6
4 split links $4
3 copper couplings $3
2 feet 3/4 copper $8
Old nasty used hacksaw blade cut to size with teeth ground off
And a whole mess of rivets

We modified the cot.... it originally sagged in the middle at the hinge, so we removed it. 3/4 copper slid right inside the tubing. Used one entire and half another 3/4 coupling as a spacer to take up the distance lost by the hinge. He soldered the insert pieces to themselves before installing it. To get it in we unclipped the springs on both ends. It was something like assembling drum brakes forcing the springs back on after the frame was rigid....

Its easy to find the ribs for mounting... thats where the rivets already are holding the paneling on.....

I had the horrific visualization of the kid flipping the cot up to climb in so I used that bit of toothless hacksaw as a retaining clip sort of thing.

There is about 2 inches of play between the bottom of wall mount lights and the top of window hardware. I was annoyed that this landed high in that range.... measure fifty times drill once.

For my next magic trick im planning to sew chain sleeves and a "rail" between them so the kid doesnt roll out. I think this turned out well, I hope those of you who dont have 50k for a whole new airstream can use this info.
airgead-cana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #2

1972 25' Tradewind
Norfolk , Virginia
I was planning to go ahead and do the other side as well, but walmart only had one cot so it waits. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for improvment?
Thanks!
airgead-cana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Nice job! I was lucky enough to find an original AS bunk and install it. Had I seen what you did here before I got the AS bunk I would have copied you. We also have 3 kids and we tried the cot thing in between the twins, but it became too dangerous to whom ever was on the cot.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Cots

If you still have all the info on the cot you purchased (SKU number etc.)from Walmart try going to Walmart.com and see if you can find the same cot there. If so you can do a site to store order for one and have it sent to the local store for pick-up. Then get the other bunk under construction! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Reminds me of sleeping on a ship when I was in my late teens. Nice job!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote