Old 11-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
Craftsman

I don't know how far along you are but I think I would have built the base and backrest as two seperate units.That would allow the plywood top on the base to go all the way to the walls and then the frame work of the backrest could glue and screw down thru the plwood to the base frame below.No right or wrong way to do it..... just a suggestion.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
is you can always add a little or grind a little off. I'm a real fan of composites as you may have gathered from my posts elsewhere. It is amazing what can be done with it and a little hootspa. There are a lot of good books on boat construction that can give you lots of info. Try the West System website.Hey you headed out here to the left coast? Tim
Hey Tim, I've been into boats all my life. I built a boat and fiberglassed it back in 1960, man am I dating myself.

as you can see I glassed the floor.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #17
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I don't know how far along you are but I think I would have built the base and backrest as two seperate units.That would allow the plywood top on the base to go all the way to the walls and then the frame work of the backrest could glue and screw down thru the plwood to the base frame below.No right or wrong way to do it..... just a suggestion.

Yes I've seen it done like that, I just thought this was a bit stronger tied in the wall and floor real well.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
One way to do it is outlined in pictures at New couch in 75 Ambassador

This started as a means to open up the underside of the gaucho by replacing frame. The cushions, platform, and sliding frame were all kept. A simple square tube frame was used for support. It was then moved over to the roadside wall to create a table and a place for the dog.

The tubing for the support was from an old mobile home awning. You could probably also use some heavy guage inch and a half L aluminum available at good hardware stores.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #19
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Bryan, that was very useful, I would guess if the alum frames were 12" or so on center you could use 1/4" ply on top.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Taking apart an Airstream provides many opportunities to marvel at the strength of thin plywood.

As you can see here

there isn't any longwise support except at front and rear. The crosswise support is also quite sparse. And all that sits between this frame and you is a quarter inch thick piece of plywood and some foam. The top part of this - the support the ply was screwed to, is OEM.

The backside of this frame was originally just screwed to the wall with only two screws. The frontside was held up by the tambor door frame. That worked for 25 years but made me nervious. So I added the wall support and a stronger front frame. (you see me and you'd know why! ;-) )
Old 11-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #21
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Bryan, how far apart are the supports going from the from to the wall.

Also what is the thickness or guage of alum ?

Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Merritt , British Columbia
Thanks for the dinette photos and drawings. I will definitely be making use of them.

I've pulled out the front gaucho, and it's currently in pieces. Would anybody like them? The foam cushions are long gone, but the aluminum pieces (like in Leipper's photo) are in good shape, although some of the nylon slider pieces are broken.