Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The Aqua T from Johnson Pump says that it uses 2.5 liters per flush. Wouldn't that fill the black tank awefull quickly considering that a toilet over a black tank uses hardly any water?

Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I guess it is true that marine toilets generally can count on there being more water available than we might have with an RV. Possibly that helps justify the use of a smaller holding tank directly under the toilet with a pump to either empty the small tank or move its contents to a larger remote tank periodically. In that scenario you might have the best of both worlds - though water volume for flushing and easy placement remote from the main holding tank.

Malcolm

Old 11-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Marine toilets have no holding tank at the toilet. They pump directly from the bowl to the holding tank. Adding a tank at the toilet would necessitate a second pump.

I never found that my holding tank in the boat filled very rapidly, but we just pumped the bowl empty after each use and then pumped the line empty when we were ready to dump the tank. The approximately 8' of 1 1/2" line holds quite a bit in itself. I remember that our carry tank was about 8gallons. It was heavy enough to lift out from under the cockpit seat that I woould rig a block on the boom.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Marine toilets have no holding tank at the toilet. They pump directly from the bowl to the holding tank. Adding a tank at the toilet would necessitate a second pump.

I never found that my holding tank in the boat filled very rapidly, but we just pumped the bowl empty after each use and then pumped the line empty when we were ready to dump the tank. The approximately 8' of 1 1/2" line holds quite a bit in itself. I remember that our carry tank was about 8gallons. It was heavy enough to lift out from under the cockpit seat that I woould rig a block on the boom.
I was not actually suggesting using a marine toilet. I was suggesting that if the amount of water required for a flush of a marine toilet was too much that maybe using a more conventional RV toiled with a small local tank would be an alternative. I guess the basic question is can we find marine toilets that do not use very much water for a flush? It sounds like that should be possible. Did your boat toilet use much water to flush?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 11-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Did your boat toilet use much water to flush?
We could control water use by how many times we moved the pump handle. We could flush with very little water.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
We could control water use by how many times we moved the pump handle. We could flush with very little water.
That sounds like it should work fine then. I gather that your toiled was a manaul pump type?

Malcolm