Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Furnace type and mount

Having removed the NT-22 Suburban to replace what sounded like a bad bearing in the motor, I realized that the NT-22's outside profile is not square. It is about an inch and a half shorter on the bottom than the top. Because the motor is in short supply, I was considering installing a modern alternative. What model furnace did you install and does it have an angled mating surface to the outside wall? The NT-22 is a bit oversized for the 24' camper. How many btu output does the furnace have.
FYI - after talking to a sailing buddy from MIchigan, he told me that certain predatory insects like the smell of propane. It smells like rotting stuff. That is why spiders make their nests in pilot gas supply orifices and why my furnace was full of wasp nests. He recommends putting a piece of tape over the outlet/inlet for the furnace when it isn't in use.
btw.... Wow! your work is truly impressive. I intend to paint the camper at some point and was going to go the automotive spray route but your rolled option is really appealing. I'll refer to your excellent shop procedures for the method. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
eight track player removed...

When I got this 70' model AS, it had what appears to be the original eight track player and radio installed...now, we all know what eight track tapes can do...play alittle, then garble-garble, play alittle, then click-click. Well I thought about it (whether or not to remove it for an upgrade area) and finally took it out, it was wired in real tight at the back...it had at least nine wires running into it and had to pull the darn thing out like an embilical cord and cut it loose and taped the wires shut...I know some of those wires go to the four speakers installed also in the unit. Now mind you this is the console area above the couch. I don't want to rip out wires. But I do want to try to get power up to that area without going outside the console space...and then install a nice DVD unit/CD player...it's either this, or a Midland base unit (CB)...I am not real into Cb's either, but they are great for emergencies. Then situate the entertainment center else where....What did you folks do?
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Having removed the NT-22 Suburban to replace what sounded like a bad bearing in the motor, I realized that the NT-22's outside profile is not square. It is about an inch and a half shorter on the bottom than the top. Because the motor is in short supply, I was considering installing a modern alternative. What model furnace did you install and does it have an angled mating surface to the outside wall? The NT-22 is a bit oversized for the 24' camper. How many btu output does the furnace have.
FYI - after talking to a sailing buddy from MIchigan, he told me that certain predatory insects like the smell of propane. It smells like rotting stuff. That is why spiders make their nests in pilot gas supply orifices and why my furnace was full of wasp nests. He recommends putting a piece of tape over the outlet/inlet for the furnace when it isn't in use.
btw.... Wow! your work is truly impressive. I intend to paint the camper at some point and was going to go the automotive spray route but your rolled option is really appealing. I'll refer to your excellent shop procedures for the method. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.
Mike,

Use a fine mesh screen (preferrably stainless) to stop the mud daubers (wasps). I get those calls down here all the time and after the cleaning, I install the screening to stop any further infestations.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
the power of DUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Mike,

Use a fine mesh screen (preferrably stainless) to stop the mud daubers (wasps). I get those calls down here all the time and after the cleaning, I install the screening to stop any further infestations.
DUH - why didn't I think of that? That's why they pay you the big bucks!

thanks

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Boatdoc and others in this thread:
My wife and I bought our 1978 31' Sovereign knowing it needed some floor work. What we didn't know was that we would end up gutting the trailer, installing new floor, painting the bathroom and -re-installing the interior.

I have been working on the trailer since April and am almost done. We took it to the Branson Rally to get some kinks out, (like a leak by the 12 volt pump hose clamp).

I am very proud of the work we have done on this trailer. We were not able to use the trailer all summer because I worked too slow. But next year, watch out!

Would we have been better off buying one already done? Probably. But we got a very nice trailer that I can proudly say, "I did it".
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Hi Donna and Mike;
I have installed Suburban MT 30 which is 30.000 BTU. The angle you are talking about on the furnace is obsolete. All Suburbans are square in external walls, however the air intake and exhaust slide into each other. This will provide you with at least two to three inches of adjustment to accommodate wall offset with external outer panel which comes with furnace. All of my trailer will be Gnat proof with very fine SS screens and rubber flange seals on all through floor openings including vents. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee
Boatdoc and others in this thread:
My wife and I bought our 1978 31' Sovereign knowing it needed some floor work. What we didn't know was that we would end up gutting the trailer, installing new floor, painting the bathroom and -re-installing the interior.

I have been working on the trailer since April and am almost done. We took it to the Branson Rally to get some kinks out, (like a leak by the 12 volt pump hose clamp).

I am very proud of the work we have done on this trailer. We were not able to use the trailer all summer because I worked too slow. But next year, watch out!

Would we have been better off buying one already done? Probably. But we got a very nice trailer that I can proudly say, "I did it".
Hi Jim Lee; I totally agree with you on buying one already done. The issue here is my need for perfection. While there are people who could possibly do a better job than I can, but for me, I can do it by far the best.
It is not that I was not aware that it is going to cost me more than a new one if I include my hours of labor at $98.00 per hour, which is my going rate at the business. The new one would not be the way I wanted, and I would not be as familiar with it. This way there is no unknown screw or rivet that I do not know about. Being a perfectionist is a very costly disease and unfortunately I have it, thanks to my Dad. On the other side there is no greater reward than looking at your own creation and fight a grin on your face, so that others do not think you are exalting yourself. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 10-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Now that's two A/S products in PA., I have to stop by and see..
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud
Now that's two A/S products in PA., I have to stop by and see..
Hi 53flyingcloud; At this point there is not that much to see other than SS Frame, new aluminum clad floor and no interior. However, in mid December we are going full time with work. By beginning of February the interior should be well under way. We would love to have you stop by then, when we got plenty to show you. We are 30 miles West of Phila center city. Thanks, "Boatdoc"