Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2004, 06:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bathroom Removal

How difficult will it be to remove the fiberglass fixtures for someone who has above average carpentry skills? Has anyone done this and would you do this again? The fixtures need refinishing which I would attempt to do myself. I'm interested in all ideas. Thanks.
Keyholeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #2
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
They can often be refinished while left in the camper.

I did some light sanding on mine with decent results. Also, Kevin (Overlander64) has refinished his bathroom and the pics look great. Hopefully, he'll chime in here....
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Have you gotten a good look under the bathroom, ie the floor. If its in good condition (unlikly for a 35 year old AS) then I'ld do them in place. Otherwise I'ld remove and fix the floor. Seems different years and models have different tricks to taking them apart. Others here have done so. I the long run it's worth doing well if you plan on keeping the trailer.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bathroom Removal

Greetings Keyholeren!

I agree with Moonshot and Over59 - - if your coach doesn't need floor repairs, removing the bath fixtures open the door for many more problems - - even with very careful removal, it would be possible to damage the components being removed as well as those surrounding the fixtures being removed. My bath was professionally refinished while in-place at a cost of slightly less than $400 by a local bath refinishing firm that was recommended by my regular plumbing contractor - - the results were quite satisfactory and have whitstood two seasons plus of use with no degredation to the appearance. The before photo is below - - part of the reason for my refinish was a desire to change the color from the Avacado Green:

The after photo below shows the results of the refinish's color change to Antique Pewter:

According to my refinisher, the task of refinishing the Airstream wasn't that much different from his usual home improvement jobs - - the only difference being was that spraying requred a few more "gymnastics" that usual - - the trade-off was that the Airstream was at his workshop where he had immediate access to all of his tools and supplies.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. I've got the old carpeting up and the floor appear to be okay. I'll probably heed your advice and leave it in place.
Keyholeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Bathroom refinish

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Keyholeren!

I agree with Moonshot and Over59 - - if your coach doesn't need floor repairs, removing the bath fixtures open the door for many more problems - - even with very careful removal, it would be possible to damage the components being removed as well as those surrounding the fixtures being removed. My bath was professionally refinished while in-place at a cost of slightly less than $400 by a local bath refinishing firm that was recommended by my regular plumbing contractor - - the results were quite satisfactory and have whitstood two seasons plus of use with no degredation to the appearance. The before photo is below - - part of the reason for my refinish was a desire to change the color from the Avacado Green:

The after photo below shows the results of the refinish's color change to Antique Pewter:

According to my refinisher, the task of refinishing the Airstream wasn't that much different from his usual home improvement jobs - - the only difference being was that spraying requred a few more "gymnastics" that usual - - the trade-off was that the Airstream was at his workshop where he had immediate access to all of his tools and supplies.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
Do you know the product that was used. Your pics are not showing up do you still have them available?
I have been working on my bath and looking for ideas? Unfortunaltly I may have to remove the fixtures to get at the floor.
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bathroom Removal

Greetings balrgn!

Quote:
Do you know the product that was used. Your pics are not showing up do you still have them available?
The link to the photos is updated and seem to be working.

The product that the professional refinisher used on my bathroom was proprietary (sold only to franchised installers) epoxy. All of my records are currently packed following my recent move so I can't even find the name of the franchise that provided the products.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote