Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
back splash walls in aluminum; CCD owners please help

Astonished at the prices quoted for Stainless Steel I am planning to do the galley back splash walls in my Argosy renewal with satin finish aluminum.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-18.html

The kitchens in new Airstream Internationals and Safaris are aluminum, aren’t they?

Is the aluminum used protective coated? How does it hold up in real world use?

Information gratefully received.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Sergei----I think that the internal skin on CCDs is alum but I don't know for sure. Whatever it is, it holds up very well. Our CCD is 4 years old and it still looks new, both in the kitchen backsplash area and the rest of the interior. Good luck with the project
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sergei,

The entire interior of my CCD is aluminum, including the wall behind the kitchen that forms the backsplash. I don't believe that it has a special coating on it, and it is holding up very well.

Metals prices are going thru the roof, as is just about everything else. If you feel the need to coat the aluminum you are using for your backsplash, any high quality automotive clearcoat should work well, as it resists UV and gasoline spills on cars and trucks, and will probably do the same for anything found in the kitchen.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Sergei, the interior walls of the CCD are aluminum including behind the galley and bathroom sink. I would think that it has the same clearcoat as the exterior skin since Airstream recommends the same cleaning and wax treatment as the exterior. I would call the customer service department and confirm that with them.

Regarding the high prices for stainless steel, I would check at a local sheet metal shop that does duct work for heating and air conditioning systems. I had a 24" X 24" tray made from stainless steel for our parrots cage, including bending, forming and spot welding the 1/2" raised edge around the perimeter and paid between $20 & $30. It was about five years ago. I thought the price was reasonable. I have some other stainless steel work to d behiond our kitchen stove. What cost were you quoted and for how big a panel?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Price of stainless...

I was quoted $75 for a stainless piece for my Magic Chef oven door. I don't know the exact dimensions, but you can picture that is not too big. I was asking for 20 or 22 gauge. Maybe that is why. Could I get a way with a thinner piece? I looked at aluminium, but all I found had patterns in it....Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
today's cost of stainless...

Don, Pamelake,

Details on pricing and my consequent decision here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-18.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote