Old 05-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
And after all the tedious pan in the butt wiring I was able to get a wall in. Its not riveted yet. Just held in with Celco's in case I find I need in the wall again when I meter everything out after the rest of the walls are in place.

While most of the upper walls are stripped of paint. The haze is just that. Its a little reside of Zolotone that wipes off fairly easy. You can see a few places where is clean.

I am using just regular old R13 wall bats. I am pealing them down to 1.5 inches in thickness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240107r.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	12477   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240109r.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	12478  

Name:	P5280113r.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	12479   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280114r.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	12480  

Name:	P5280115r.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	12483   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280116r.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	12484  

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Update July 3 2005

Well I have not got much done since the last update. Took a week off to get some stuff done around here and on the coach. That got a little goofed up along the way. My Brother-in-law was stationed in Germany for a Year then A year in Iraq.

When he got sent to Iraq my Sister (his wife) came back and bought a house in Charlotte NC. Now god for bid the Army send their junk back. Their furniture and one vehicle sat In Germany for a year. Well he's out now and their possessions are slowly making it back to the states.

His Jeep wrangler that was in Germany made it to Atlanta (they would not send it to Charlotte) Thursday and it had SERIOUS problems. It lost a water pump while in Germany and since that time it was undrivable due to over heating. He managed to get it here and after 2 days of solid work we finally figured out that the German mechanics put a reverse rotation water pump on it. So I lost a couple days helping them out but thats OK. It was good to spend time with them even over a busted Jeep in my Driveway.

Spent a little time doing some work in the house that got some stuff that ended up being stored in the coach installed and out of my way. Few other project that needed wrapping up as well.

I have been doing is prep for the next wall to go in. Seems when the original Reefer was accidentally executed a second access panel was added to the side for the new reefer. Side was chewed up around the opening pretty good. The new panel was not installed very well and the wall was wavy from lack of bracing or bracing that slipped during installation and was left that way. So a few ours of making the hole the correct size and cleaning up that mes I was able to install a new brace and install the access panel square and flush to the body.

So depending on what we do for the 4th I may actually get two walls into the coach. Once this wall is in I can put the wardrobe and reefer in the coach and clear some space in the garage.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Life does happen while we are rebuilding these trialers - oh well (sigh) - I have to stop working on mine too because we are moving...... really want to get it done - but things do get in the way.......

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the Jeep was for sure a priority. Glad to see your updates, we look foward to seeing you all at a local forums rally sometime soon!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
the Jeep was for sure a priority. Glad to see your updates, we look foward to seeing you all at a local forums rally sometime soon!
I'm looking forward to making a rally WITH the coach because that will mean I am somewhat done with it!

You see we have a new member in our area?
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=17197
Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
All right I got some time to work on it....Sure was nice with the 97 degree heat index! Breaks often and I must have drank 2 gallons of water.

I did make head way today none the less. Curbside lower wall is in the coach with Cleco's! Again I don't want to rivet till I make sure my wiring checks out.

Played with ways to finish the Aluminum. I actually sanded it today in one direction to get a good grain and make it all look consistent. Hid scratches from stripping as well as scratches I found once I got it to bare metal. Really warming to the CCD look. Once I get the wires wrapped up I plan to load the cabinets in it temporarily and then Chili and I will take a good hard look at it and decide if we want to paint or not.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Aluminum Finish

Went back over your frame restoration and am impressed with your work. Thanks for posting your progress. Your skills as a craftsman are appreciated.

The idea of a sanded interior finish sounds good, Are you thinking of a coating to make it easy to clean and prevent oxidation? Matt as opposed to glossy?

I have to admit that the part about you jacking the frame to fasten the walls to the c channel on your other thread makes me think about experienced help to restore my frame and floor.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Rob
Went back over your frame restoration and am impressed with your work. Thanks for posting your progress. Your skills as a craftsman are appreciated.

The idea of a sanded interior finish sounds good, Are you thinking of a coating to make it easy to clean and prevent oxidation? Matt as opposed to glossy?

I have to admit that the part about you jacking the frame to fasten the walls to the c channel on your other thread makes me think about experienced help to restore my frame and floor.
No problem. The point of the post was to help others that find themselves having to do similar repairs.

On the jacking:

Its a monocoque structure. No single component section bears the weight alone. The frame has a noticeable droop when its away from the body. The body is a major portion of support for the frame and contents.

Jacking sounds harsh I could have probably lifted the bumper by hand and got the flex I needed.

We are still experimenting with the interior and its final finish. The thought of a clear coat has crossed my mind but my concern is the long haul. The aluminum I can always clean with a Scotch bright and mineral spirits if it gets dull of even a scratch. Clear coat would prevent that. So bare has its pros as well as cons.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #23
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
hey 59!

i didn't realize you had a different post for the interior going. and here i have been checking the other one to see how the frame's progressing. you are a LOT further along than i thought! with any luck at all, i'll have my shell back on in a week or so, ready for some major skin surgery.

your trtailer looks great, man. i look forward to seeing it sometime!

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
hey 59!

i didn't realize you had a different post for the interior going. and here i have been checking the other one to see how the frame's progressing. you are a LOT further along than i thought! with any luck at all, i'll have my shell back on in a week or so, ready for some major skin surgery.

your trtailer looks great, man. i look forward to seeing it sometime!

Yeah I decided to let that floor post stand alone since there was so much info in it with all of us putting in what we found and our ideas. So I thought that this would be the best forum for putting the interior back in.

Let me know when you are putting it back on and maybe I can swing by and heckle I mean help you LOL. I have a couple things going on in two weeks and I hope to be getting this engine sold and out of the truck its in that I gave to another buddy this weekend. That will get one thing off my plate and get my buddy moving so I can get the rest of my parts off that truck to start building mine. I'm about to do evil things to a 86 4runner including cuttng off the IFS to put a solid axle back under it Lik god and Toyuota intended till the US market became wimps. The I will be wrapping a roll cage around it so it doesn't get hurt when I put it on its lid.......notice I said "when" not "if" LOL
Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #25
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
not ANOTHER off-road nut! ha! i used to really be into the ORV thing... but i suffer from the same affliction as most of my friends... EXCESS HOBBIES!!! gotta cut back on a few now and again!

Old 08-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
not ANOTHER off-road nut! ha! i used to really be into the ORV thing... but i suffer from the same affliction as most of my friends... EXCESS HOBBIES!!! gotta cut back on a few now and again!

Hahah Yeah I do the offroad thing. I use to whore myself out and do product reviews the whole 9 yards. I am a moderator at www.ck5.com Last rig was locked both ends on 35's and could crawl over cars. This one will also be on 35's but a more flexy suspension and much better gas millage.

Yesterday I went looking at Unimogs at http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/dieselmogs.htm Found a 404 radio with a bad transmission for $2500. Found a 416 Doka with a hurting body as well (the orange one on that page). Maybe I should get a U1300 as a tow rig. LOL.

I am about ot pass on a pair of FJ40's. I know it will be next year before I could do much with them. Hate to pass them up though. One is a parts truck (you could put a basket ball through the fenders) and the other is midway though a restoration. Tub is not great but its been fully sand blasted and ready for finish body work. I would have to sit on it till Spring at the very least. Just really need to wrap up a few projects before I commit to another. I would probably put a Aluminum tub on the one I would keep and use the blasted tub on the other to get it streetable and sell it to pay for the Aluminum tub....If I got them that is.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:30 AM   #27
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i've been on a few "River Cruises" in my buddy's Mog (sorry, i don't know the model). those things are ALMOST unstick-able (i can testify to the "almost"). i have a great video of me somewhere "Tarzan-ing" out of the back... but that's another story.

i can't remember the last time i took my D90 off road, though. the funny thing is by the time i got around to adding the drop kit, spring cones and all the rest of the suspension stuff, i migrated to another hobby! it's day will come again... once gas prices go down! 9MPG is no fun.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
i've been on a few "River Cruises" in my buddy's Mog (sorry, i don't know the model). those things are ALMOST unstick-able (i can testify to the "almost"). i have a great video of me somewhere "Tarzan-ing" out of the back... but that's another story.

i can't remember the last time i took my D90 off road, though. the funny thing is by the time i got around to adding the drop kit, spring cones and all the rest of the suspension stuff, i migrated to another hobby! it's day will come again... once gas prices go down! 9MPG is no fun.
Your D90 only gets 9? Something has to be wrong. My full size 75 Jimmy on 35's got 9. I'll bet you see my buddy every once in a While. He doesn't live far from you. He has the Yellow D90 with "Life's Been Good" o nthe spare tire cover. Wheels the wee wee out of it. The big picture is the Golden Crack at Moab 2 years ago. Has a 2.5 old man Emu lift and 33's Does grate. You should come wheel with us. Rovers look good with pin stripes and rock rash.
http://www.gbr4wd.com/members4x4/birdj/bird.html

If you go to the 4x4 section of http://www.lifesbeengood.com/ and the 2003 swap meet there are pictures of my last truck the tan one and Jays D90 driving over cars.

See if I can link off his site.