Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Alternative to Plastic Counter Welt

Good day,

I have fabricated lovely new counters for my trailer and am ready to install, but I have yet to find a trim piece for the counter to wall that I am happy with. The original plastic welting and cove just looks cheap to me. Any ideas out there?

Right now I am almost ready to just install them and run a bead of caulk on the top to wall joint.

Cheers,

Andrew
Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I just used caulking for my new kitchen and bathroom counters. Check out my Blog for pics.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Counter Trim

Been looking for it too, had caulking and it's just split due to the motion of the counter in transit. Ordered trim from Vintage Trailer Supply. Will see what it looks like, otherwise I'll keep looking and follow your thread.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Back splash

How about a back splash. I installed a new Corian counter top and then installed a tile back splash. You could use pretty much anything you want. To do this I cut a piece of Hardy board the height of the tile sheet which was about 2 1/2 inches by 8 inches. I then attached this to the A/S wall with counter sunk screws. I then attached the tile pieces with adhesive and grouted. The tile is attached only to the Hardy board and does not actually touch the counter top. I then ran an oak trim around the top to finish it all off and added a bead of clear silicone at the bottom of the tile and counter top. It looks good, and can all be removed if need be with a few screws that holds the hardy board that I have marked where they are.

See pics below

Don
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from Airstream counter top.pdf (517.5 KB, 113 views)
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is the aluminum cove I used. It was also used on the Winnick designed 75th Anniversary Edition and matches what was originally in most trailers of the late 50s and early 60s. I'm thrilled with it.

Cove after trim (3/4") - Aluminum Mirror Trim & 'J' Caps - Aluminum angle, Aluminum tube, Aluminum extrusions, Anodized aluminum, Aluminum pipe, Aluminum channel, Extruded Aluminum angle, brunner enterprises, Aluminum bar, aluminum rod, aluminum edgi

Brad
FF
Attached Images

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Counter Trim

That looks like the counter trim I've ordered from VTS. Will see how that works. The Corian counter tops look great and very high end and the trim makes it come together. I'd have to get rid of the rusty old Magic Chef if I did that.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
I'd have to get rid of the rusty old Magic Chef if I did that.
Paint it with Stainless Steel Paint.

Thomas’ Liquid Stainless Steel - Homepage

Don
Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
New Counter Top

I had a new counter top made with a back splash and then scribed it to the wall as you would in a home kitchen....Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	94937  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
How about a back splash. I installed a new Corian counter top and then installed a tile back splash. You could use pretty much anything you want. To do this I cut a piece of Hardy board the height of the tile sheet which was about 2 1/2 inches by 8 inches. I then attached this to the A/S wall with counter sunk screws. I then attached the tile pieces with adhesive and grouted. The tile is attached only to the Hardy board and does not actually touch the counter top. I then ran an oak trim around the top to finish it all off and added a bead of clear silicone at the bottom of the tile and counter top. It looks good, and can all be removed if need be with a few screws that holds the hardy board that I have marked where they are.

See pics below

Don
A tile backsplash is good looking but I was concerned about the grout being vibrated out of the tile with the movement of the trailer. I bought some of the 1" x 1" multicolor glass tiles from Lowe's (that match the countertop and our decor). They come in 1 foot square sheets with the mesh on the back to keep them together. I just cut them in fourths (3 inches high). Instead of Hardi, I used latex caulk (leveled with a putty knife) to apply them to the wall. After that cured for a few days I grouted the joints with a black silicone caulk. I think the flexiblity of the caulk will hold up well over time and it would be fairly easy to remove if necessary. Wouldn't imagine this square foot and a half of glass tile added but a few pounds of weight, if that.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
A tile backsplash is good looking but I was concerned about the grout being vibrated out of the tile with the movement of the trailer.
No, no grout has vibrated out. There is really such a small amount of grout anyway and by being mounted on the Hardy board and not the trailer wall itself it is sorta free standing. And as you say no weight to worry about. You caulking method sounds good to.

Don