Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Adding corner shelf in 20 footer

We have a new 20 foot Bambi and would like to add a corner storage shelf or something similar between the two kitchen cabinets. This seems like a wasted space area to me. The shelf would be for light-weight bulky items like paper towels, chip bags, etc.
The rounded corner and uneven shape of the area is the challenge. Has anyone else added some storage in this corner?

--Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Henry & Judy Aschner
New owners since 2013!

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We just put a paper towel holder vertically on the side of the rear cabinet
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Make up a template using thin MDF or cardboard. After you have that to a good fit transfer the shape to your final material. Mounting blocks can be screwed to the existing cabinets and the new panel secured to those. Any competent wood worker should be able to make a shelf for you if you do not wish to tackle the project yourself.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
A major challenge (as Michael noted) is coping with the curvature of the interior of your trailer. If you take a straightedge and run it (carefully so as not to scratch anything), you're going to find that there's hardly a straight surface if you go vertically -- so the template is really critical to get something to fit well. You'll notice that the factory really does a good job at this. They should, right?
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
I wondered if there was a reason they do not include a shelf from the factory - like torque between the two cabinets while driving down the road. Have measured out the space and it is an odd shape. Before I cut this out myself, I did wonder if someone else has tackled the project from a creative angle that I have not thought of yet.

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would imagine that it is a cost cutting measure. It is typical of most manufacturing these days. Make a product as cheap as possible and sell for as much as the market will handle. There really is nothing magic about adding a shelf. Simple measure, cut and screw should do the trick. If you are worried about an exact fit, cut over sized and trim to fit. I have built a number of cabinets and shelves for boats and the process is the same when dealing with odd angles and curved surfaces.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote