Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Adding chairs to Airstreams

We have a 25' twin and I have been thinking of adding a chair even though space is limited. Besides the Zip Dee chairs, I have considered a chair like the 30' bunk Safaris have, folding chairs, stools, storage hassocks, even a computer chair. I was wondering if any others have added chairs, regardless of size. I am curious what solutions people have come up with. And if you happen to have a picture, so much the better. Thanks!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb We Did..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
We have a 25' twin and I have been thinking of adding a chair even though space is limited. Besides the Zip Dee chairs, I have considered a chair like the 30' bunk Safaris have, folding chairs, stools, storage hassocks, even a computer chair. I was wondering if any others have added chairs, regardless of size. I am curious what solutions people have come up with. And if you happen to have a picture, so much the better. Thanks!
Seasons Greetings Carol,
I added a fix'd chair to my unit by the side of the entrance several years ago...(It's turned out to be a table/catch all for things..lol)
While driving home from work one morning, I came across a yard sales that had what looked to be a perfect chair for my son's computer desk..
I asked and, was told the cost was only 3$..I ended up with three of the same for 10$
I'll post a picture of the setup after I return my next trip down to Va Beach.
Best Wishes to you and the family~!
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
thanks Vern

and a very Happy New Year to you and yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Seasons Greetings Carol,
I added a fix'd chair to my unit by the side of the entrance several years ago...(It's turned out to be a table/catch all for things..lol)
While driving home from work one morning, I came across a yard sales that had what looked to be a perfect chair for my son's computer desk..
I asked and, was told the cost was only 3$..I ended up with three of the same for 10$
I'll post a picture of the setup after I return my next trip down to Va Beach.
Best Wishes to you and the family~!
Vern

photography
Old 12-23-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

If your aluminitis is chronic, you might want to check out the cast aluminum chairs at Home Decorators Collection. They have some pretty nifty looking selections.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Wink Chairs??!!

We probably have more chairs than most! I have two papasan chairs that fold down for travel, nice, big, comfortable chairs they are! In addition, are three folding chairs, card table type chairs, bought at some cheap store, K-Mart or the like that store in the shower.... the papasan chair bases get stuck behind the sofa and the rest of the chair is put at the foot of the bed (31 foot rear double). Then there's the two to six web type folding chairs we carry, stash them wherever we can. We do dog shows and need lots of seating for outdoors! Plus a four foot long folding table for outside under the awning to hold glasses, beverages, plates, bowls, etc, and many days, plates of sandwiches or a crockpot of soup or stew. And the two small folding tables for next to outdoor chairs. Two of the web chairs, and the small tables stash behind The Chair next to the door. This was an auction buy for two bucks, a pretty plain office type armchair, with a square forming the arm and base, with an open area under the upholstered back and seat. And I'm glad it is open there! That's where I store dog food in canisters, and totes of dog supplies!
So, at a minimum, we have seven folding chairs, and one rigid upholstered chair in our Airstream!
Putting the fixed chair next to the door works for us. While not a light chair, it moves easily enough when we have a group in.... at one show we had, let's see, I think, ten of us INSIDE eating lunch! It was so bloody hot and we stayed in and enjoyed the air conditioning in spite of being crowded!
Now that we are getting ready to put in one of those small built-in tables next to the door, I'm not sure how it will work this season, but we will see!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-23-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Adding chairs to Airstreams

Greetings wheel interested!

Quote:
Another option would be Leg-O-Matic chairs or modern reproductions of these chairs. These chairs were standard equipment for many Airstream coaches of the 1960s and 1970s. The reproductions of these chairs are called the Unique Seat and were produced for Timely Products (of Phoenix, AZ) in Malaysia. From a functionality standpoint, it works and has a very similar mechanism to that employed by the "Leg-O-Matic" chairs. It is in what was called a "blonded maple" finish with "antique satin" vinly upholstery. Its SKU number was 41272; and I believe that its Camping World catalog number was 65287941272. I believe that when I purchased my set of four that they President's Club Price was $46.99 each. The photos below are of one of the reproduction chairs that I purchased for my Overlander a few years ago.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Chair 1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	9867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Chair 2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	9868  

Name:	Airstream Chair 3.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	9869  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Wow those are very cool

Thanks for the link Bob. It's like the candy store of seating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
If your aluminitis is chronic, you might want to check out the cast aluminum chairs at Home Decorators Collection. They have some pretty nifty looking selections.

Bob

photography
Old 12-23-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I like those Kevin

Thanks! I saw this site on the internet with an original brochure from the 70's and I had seen a nice fold up chair. I think that's what I saw. And if you haven't seen this old brochure you should check it out. I love the pictures. I'm going to see if I can't get one, or some. I wonder if they will fit in the cabinet for the zipdees?

http://www.batmo.com/tclife/brochure/018/

http://www.batmo.com/tclife/brochure/023/

I didn't see them at Camping World when I put in the number or did an item search. Google turned up two dark legomatics at E-Bay right now. I would like a lighter color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings wheel interested!

Another option would be Leg-O-Matic chairs or modern reproductions of these chairs. These chairs were standard equipment for many Airstream coaches of the 1960s and 1970s. The reproductions of these chairs are called the Unique Seat and were produced for Timely Products (of Phoenix, AZ) in Malaysia. From a functionality standpoint, it works and has a very similar mechanism to that employed by the "Leg-O-Matic" chairs. It is in what was called a "blonded maple" finish with "antique satin" vinly upholstery. Its SKU number was 41272; and I believe that its Camping World catalog number was 65287941272. I believe that when I purchased my set of four that they President's Club Price was $46.99 each. The photos below are of one of the reproduction chairs that I purchased for my Overlander a few years ago.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin

photography
Old 12-24-2004, 02:18 AM   #9
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Smile Chairs

Quote:
I also have a 25' Excella twin. We use several of the fabric folding chairs which sell for about $7-$10 from WalMart, etc: and store them in their storage stacks behind the sofa. It works for us.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Leg-o-matics

Oh jeeze, thanks Kevin! I forgot about the six matching leg-o-matics I bought from an eBay auction! Still trying to decide where to put those, or even IF I want to carry them all the time!
There are many options for chairs both fixed and folding, aren't there?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-24-2004, 07:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
THE chair for us is the LaFuma found at Cabela's and other outdoor supply stores. Many knockoffs are now available, bringing the cost down. These are fold up LOUNGE chairs that stretch out to an AH-H-H-! We use two and they are the first set up item along with a cold beer or tonic after we block and unhitch the AS. In bad weather, we even set up one of them in the LR area for comfort. Works for us We've said we should have shares given us by LaFuma for the number of these we have 'sold' via campground demos!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:40 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Try an office chair

I have a 25' Classic like yours and I decided that even the smallest comfortable chairs sold at Camping World are too bulky for a 25' Classic. After seeing a nice little swivel chair in a friend's 25 Classic, I decided to look in office stores for one that would fit nicely. The office chairs are especially comfortable with tilt, seat height, and arm height adjustments.

I now have a small, burgandy leather office chair with arms in my trailer. I found a real compact chair at Office Depot on sale for $45. It sits in the streetside corner by the writing table and I can lock it erect for eating or unlock it to recline slightly while watching TV. The 5 casters roll well on the carpet and we roll it to the table for meals rather than both sitting on the couch.

When under way, I place the chair fore and aft against the table leg with the back of the chair resting on the couch. We have travelled hundreds of miles with it in that position and it has never moved.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Take a chair, please. ;-)

Elizabeth, you certainly have the seating situation covered! It shows just how uniquely these Airstreams can be set up for individual needs. What's a papasan chair? We only have one dog but thought it was very enterprising of you to find food storage in the back of the fixed chair. Listening to these tips really shows us just how much we have to learn about maximizing storage space. We've only just begun to consider possibilities while a lot of you out there have packing down to an artform. It's amazing just how much unutilized space can be optimized. Thanks for sharing.

photography
Old 12-24-2004, 09:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
LaFumas are wonderful

We agree. We have a set of very heavy Woolrich wool blankets reversible to an acrylic pile side, we call them our "horse blankets" and could always barter them for something of equal very high value which we always carry in the car on trips. Snuggled up in one of those on a LaFuma one could easily sleep quite comfortably beside a campfire, and we have been known to doze off a time or two. So far with the AS we have limited ourselves to the Zip Dees, but we may need to rethink that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
THE chair for us is the LaFuma found at Cabela's and other outdoor supply stores. Many knockoffs are now available, bringing the cost down. These are fold up LOUNGE chairs that stretch out to an AH-H-H-! We use two and they are the first set up item along with a cold beer or tonic after we block and unhitch the AS. In bad weather, we even set up one of them in the LR area for comfort. Works for us We've said we should have shares given us by LaFuma for the number of these we have 'sold' via campground demos!

photography
Old 12-24-2004, 12:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
LaFuma or Prime?

I found the following information about the LaFuma chairs at my favorite internet RV supply house - right in my neck of the woods. At least I think these are LaFuma. I found them by searching the product index for LaFuma. The detail says they are made by Prime. Does anyone know if they are one and the same or a knock off? Also is this a good price?

https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newsto...3D5&cat=chairs

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
LaFuma is made by Leisure

Here is the link.
http://www.hacksack-leisure.com/

They also make hackasacks like travasak sleeping systems.

Your link is is a great price. The LaFumas are expensive. The first one we received from a dealer when we bought the Jayco 1406 and we dug deep to get the second.

I prefer the blue one and price at your link. Would look mighty fine with the Classic awning!!!! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I found the following information about the LaFuma chairs at my favorite internet RV supply house - right in my neck of the woods. At least I think these are LaFuma. I found them by searching the product index for LaFuma. The detail says they are made by Prime. Does anyone know if they are one and the same or a knock off? Also is this a good price?

https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newsto...3D5&cat=chairs

Malcolm

photography
Old 12-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #17
Contributing Member

It has to fit the space

There have been a lot of nice chairs mentioned in the above posts, but wheel interested was interested in a chair for the interior of her Classic 25. Most of these chairs will not fit the limited space in the lounge of this trailer. I have one just like it.

In order to watch TV, the only place for the chair is in the corner by the writing table, sitting diagonally. What is needed is a chair with a footprint no larger than the seat. If it swivels and rolls, as my chair does, it is a definite plus. A chair with splayed out legs at each corner will not fit the available space well and lounge-type chairs are way too large.

I looked for months, and the only chairs that, IMHO, really work in this limited space is a small, swivel office chair. There are plenty of upholstry treatments available and the cost is right; my leather chair was listed at $80 and I paid $45 on clearance.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
yup, wheel tight quarters there

John thanks for a viable solution. We have an Office Depot right down the road. I like the swivel and adjustable back idea along with the casters for easy moving, not to mention how comfortable it would be. Your securing when traveling method sounds easy and out of the way. Now to find just the one...not that one it's too hard, and not that one it's too soft, ahhh this one is just right. Did you hear a growl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
There have been a lot of nice chairs mentioned in the above posts, but wheel interested was interested in a chair for the interior of her Classic 25. Most of these chairs will not fit the limited space in the lounge of this trailer. I have one just like it.

In order to watch TV, the only place for the chair is in the corner by the writing table, sitting diagonally. What is needed is a chair with a footprint no larger than the seat. If it swivels and rolls, as my chair does, it is a definite plus. A chair with splayed out legs at each corner will not fit the available space well and lounge-type chairs are way too large.

I looked for months, and the only chairs that, IMHO, really work in this limited space is a small, swivel office chair. There are plenty of upholstry treatments available and the cost is right; my leather chair was listed at $80 and I paid $45 on clearance.

photography
Old 12-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #19
Contributing Member

The right one

Quote:
Now to find just the one...not that one it's too hard, and not that one it's too soft, ahhh this one is just right. Did you hear a growl?
I sat in a lot of chairs before I bought the one I have. It is fairly firm, but it gives great lumbar support after a day of driving. Being leather, it doesn't collect cat hair. The burgandy color looks nice with the couch and carpet.

The only problem I have found with it is that the rod that controls tilt gets bumped on the couch when I swivel and locks the back when I don't want it locked. When I get time, I'll shorten the rod a bit and get rid of the problem.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Some photos

Finally got out to the trailer today with camera in hand. Here is my chair in use and travel positions. It really fits well into the available corner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chair.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	9952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stowed.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	9953  

WBCCI #9632