Old 07-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
'86 Classic Cabinet door centers falling out

The center portion of our hickory cabinet doors are falling out. The plastic pieces the factory used to hold them in have out lived their usefullness and now we're looking for some other alternative. The original owner had replaced the plastic in several doors with a thin wooden strip that he air stapled. This still allowed for expansion of the wood center piece, but my air stapler won't fit in close enough to do the job. Five or six years ago I was told to use a particular type of adhesive/caulk to use in place of the plastic. I had bought a tube of it an tried on several doors, but I don't like the look and have forgotten what it was now. We're getting ready to use the trailer extensively this fall to explore the lower 48 and would like to fix all our cabinets. Does anyone have any ideas?

6inAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
A fix

I have the same problem on my '86 LTD; I have decided to back the doors with a thin, 1/8", piece of masonite or such. You will need to rout out the existing grove so the 1/8" piece will fit down in the groove or you can cut the board the exact size as the outside frame, shim the center panel so that it touches the front rails and screw the center panel to the board. Staple, screw or nail the board to the rails. This will do two things: center the panel and reinforce the rails. You will need to re-install the hinges over the board and bevel the board edges and stain them to match the rails. Don't glue the panels because the wood will split under some weather conditions. Have fun.

Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California

The method worked well. The major problem not addressed but solved was the orginal "picture frame" type of construction. The torsional stress placed on the doors caused the panels to shift. The "backing" panel eliminated the movement.
Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote