Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
70s Goucho Question

The original Goucho was missing when I bought my '72 Sovereign and fortunately, I have an opportunity to buy one (frame only, the cushions are missing) to restore the vintage look. The problem is based upon the pics I've been shown, I don't know if the Goucho has all of the pieces. The pics show the frame, arm rests, and tambour doors, but I don't see a frame to support the back cushions. Does part of the frame fold up and down to support your back?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Neither of mine have a back frame. The backing is part of the cushion.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've got 2 in my attic that will probably go with the '77 29' whan we sell her in the next few weeks. From what I recall the bottom and back were a 4 x 6 plywood piece with a full length hinge. The frame is a conglomeration of aluminum pieces the support the bottom and prop up the back when it's in the sittin' position.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Mike,

I crawled all over mine tonight to put seals on the front window and the screen in.

Richard is right - back cushion has a plywood backing that is covered with upholstery. That kind of leans against the shelf that runs across under the window. The curved cushion that is stored behind the sofa back to make the bed also provides support.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Right

Our '78 Argosy Minuet has the same set up. The back and bottom cushions are upholstered so that they connect/seamed together so that they do not slide apart when used as a bed. They are "hinged". A pain to do, but worth the effort if you are reupholstering yours.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Does somebody pics of the frame and cushions from the backside they can post here?

Thanks,
Mike

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Mike,

Do you need the shelf? I have one we took out of ours when we converted to a daybed with custom mattress. You can have it for the pack/shipping costs. If you want to build your own I can take a couple of pics of mine for you. Since we have the same trailer, same year.... I also have the actual gaucho cushion, but we took it out because it was not comfortable and the foam was worn and compressed on the edge where you sit. Was hard to sit on it without feeling like I was going to slide off. I can take photos of that too for you. Heck I can take photos of the side arms, frame, etc. what ever you need. We just put the new mattress on the existing frame. I've re-upholstered the side arms and made a cover for the mattress, but still need to make the cover for the back bolsters.

Let me know what you need. I can even take the foam out of the gaucho and send you the cover for a pattern if you are making your own. The others are correct in that there is a piece of wood on the back of the top cushion.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Did you buy the one in the classifieds located in Texas?

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up Did someone say gaucho?

Mike, was there really a Gaucho in your Airstream?

A Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaúcho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!

• Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would have been a nice find. And while some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.

There was an Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig.
Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream community on a heated and passionate debate on axel replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.
No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho were not found, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.
Now, despite my best efforts, Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia

Michael is a fulltime "Artist at Large" living, working and traveling since 2000, out of his 1995 28 ft. Excella.
MICHAEL JOSEPH DEPRAIDA, An artist at large
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Original vintage equipment is cool...........

But I don't know that I personally would jump through hoops to put one in my trailer if it was missing. I would be interested to see ( and maybe I should start a poll) if many people actually like the old gauchos. Maybe I should step out of my time warp to investigate how the newer sofa-beds
are designed. Most of my gaucho is in the attic, as I have set my trailer up to have a permanant bed where the gaucho was ( because I really only sleep and shower in my camper ).
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
The gaucho on our '71 Sovereign has the plywood seat part then has a hinged back that is tipped up when its a couch. The cushion rests agains that, and from what i was told, that then rests against the shelf...I have yet ot reinstall said shelf. Take a look at a thread I started recently. We got a great deal on the fabrication of cushions for our guacho, We are more than happy with the quality and price...oh, let me know if you need pics, I can get you some tongiht...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I would love to seen any pics on the actual construction that anyone has. I have a 68 Trade Wind and and the goucho had been removed. I plan on building one but need pics of the actual frame. If anyone has any detailed shop drawings that would be even better

thanks
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
When I reupholstered my gaucho, I seperated the two hinged pieces. Luckily, it still performs the same and is much easier for me to handle. Especially since my new upholstry is made in slip-cover fashion. With dogs, it seems I take the covers off after every trip and throw them in the wash. Sorry - no pics of the framework, but you can find some pictures of my upholstry that might give you some insight to how the cushions are fabricated.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...fun-47310.html

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
Looks good, funkill. I like your idea of separating the seat from the back.
We just took our first trip with 3 occupants, so our gaucho was used as a bed. The report was that is was less than comfortable. We already had determined it is not comfortable as a couch. We can't seem to keep the seat in place when it's set up as a couch....gives you that slouching feeling as the seat slides forward and the back becomes an incline rather than a vertical seat back. Tried several things to keep back in place, but it prefered to disappear under the shelf and slope. Anyone else who's had this problem and found a solution?
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
We got rid of the gaucho cushions completely, and replaced with a custom made mattress to fit in existing frame. Then bought foam wedge bolsters for the back. Essentially making it into a daybed setup.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
Looks good, funkill. I like your idea of separating the seat from the back.
We just took our first trip with 3 occupants, so our gaucho was used as a bed. The report was that is was less than comfortable. We already had determined it is not comfortable as a couch. We can't seem to keep the seat in place when it's set up as a couch....gives you that slouching feeling as the seat slides forward and the back becomes an incline rather than a vertical seat back. Tried several things to keep back in place, but it prefered to disappear under the shelf and slope. Anyone else who's had this problem and found a solution?
I don't actually have this problem... maybe because I roll and store the 1.5" memory foam mattress pad behind the back cushion (positioned under the shelf). I use the memory foam on the gaucho when used as a bed and it improves the comfort level! Last weekend two of my girlfriends slept on the front gaucho in their sleeping bags. That was *unique*. No complaints though and I didn't have to make the bed. Score.
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Plympton , Massachusetts
Sounds like I really lucked out - my gaucho is very comfortable as a sofa - I don't have the problems mentioned in this thread - hasn't been used as a sleeping surface yet, but I was planning on buying a foam topper anyway for that...
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I have a "gaucho extension". It is basically a 20" wide 1/4" luan board with 3/4" wood bracing that slides on top of the existing gaucho base for storage. Three 16"X16"X 10" high nesting "leg boxes" constructed of 3/4" MDF hold the panel up. Three old couch cushion make up the padding. These are stowed in the truck during the day.

This turns the gaucho into a much more usable "king size". My wife likes me so much better now that I don't sleep on top of her (insert joke).

Pain in the butt to set up (5 minutes) but worth it for a happy wife. Happy wife, happy life.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I have a "gaucho extension". It is basically a 20" wide 1/4" luan board with 3/4" wood bracing that slides on top of the existing gaucho base for storage. Three 16"X16"X 10" high nesting "leg boxes" constructed of 3/4" MDF hold the panel up. Three old couch cushion make up the padding. These are stowed in the truck during the day.

This turns the gaucho into a much more usable "king size". My wife likes me so much better now that I don't sleep on top of her (insert joke).

Pain in the butt to set up (5 minutes) but worth it for a happy wife. Happy wife, happy life.
Hi DanB,

Any chance of a couple of pics? I have the same wife issue you used to have (and no, she doesn't smile much about it ). I've been talking about building some kind of extension for the bed but hadn't figured out what it should look like yet (was thinking about something that folded down and left access to the bins under the couch).

Would love to see your setup and have a little more real estate at nights.

Thanks,
Alex
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I'll try to get some shots.

It's really still in the "prototype stage". Construction is somewhat rough and unupolhstered.

I originally was trying for a foldup assembly, but that didn't work out so well.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote