Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas
69 Bed/lavatory exchange

Hi Folks,

Been awhile since I have been on, lots of bad things happened in life, but nothing bad happen to my baby AS, if you can call a 31 footer a baby. Any way I would like to rip out the rear bathroom and closets and put in a double or queen bed back there, and then rip out the port side twin bed and put the bathroom there. Any one got any good ideas pro or con on this? Reasoning behind it is that the wife and I are tired of sleeping right up front on the goucho bed. The only problem I see so far is moving the water heater, it would leave a huge opening on the side.
Engtech05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
One issue with moving the bath will be working around the wheel well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I, too, am considering this since I am planning on gutting my 74 Sovereign, but I am really concerned about placing a bath over the hub. Good luck and post pics when you get started!!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Is the black tank still in the rear? How would you get the waste plumbing from the center of the trailer to the tank without elevating the toilet and running waste pipe above the floor?
In all other threads I have read about bathroom relocation, that seems to be the biggest stumper since the toilet basically empties into the top of the tank.
Our entire bathroom sits over the wheelwells and it is an ideal use of space but our tanks are located over the axles. The cabinets go over the wheelwell and you have all the space above the wheelwell inside the cabinet for storage and plumbing. It does force you to kick the toilet out toward the center of the trailer but it can all work.
I am just curious as to how the tank/toilet connection problem can be overcome with the toilet in the center and the tank in the rear.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The toilet will need to be located directly above the black tank. In a RV toilet, there is not enough water flow per flush to get waste from the toilet to a remote tank. Plus, plumbing a 3” pipe to a remote tank from the bottom of the toilet would be a nightmare.

Here’s another thread about relocating a bathroom: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...oom-60522.html.

We really tried to get a bath relocation to work. It was primarily the exterior hatches and other exterior holes in Little Girl that made us decide not to pursue the relocation. Like where to put the water heater, and how to patch the hole so it doesn’t look like a patch. So the bath will stay in the rear, but instead of twin beds we’re going to have a RV Queen size bed (aka a short queen I think).

You can do it – don’t get me wrong. There is enough room over the axels for a black tank. In fact, that’s where we’ll install the new gray tank. Just plan out the new plumbing before you start to install things. What convinced us to not move everything was we built mock-ups out of cardboard for all the fixtures involved (bed, water heater, tub, toilet, vanity/sink, etc.). Then play around with the positioning of everything. If you can find a workable location for all the parts, then go for it!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas
Update

I have been able to get around the toilet issue by adding a mascerator to the toilet thus reducing the pipe size to 1". I plan on leaving the water heater right where it is and covering it, gonna use that as a table top for that side of the bed. Once the necessary funds are in order I will get started, I am still in the design stage. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas

This is what I plan on doing, photo from GR.Janny
Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Engtech, could you try to post that pic again - didn't take the first time, and we're really interested in seeing this. Does the macerator work off of 12 volts? Does that mean you could leave the black tank in the rear and run 1 inch pipe to it?

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas
One more try, had to attach it somehow This is how it should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Mascerator.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	96135  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas
Yep, 12 volts and a 1 inch pipe to the rear. Yippie!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas
Here's another look at the 1 inch pipe to the tank, it is the one on the right hand side, of the black water tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet plumbing.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	96139