Old 08-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

68 Safari Table hardware & seat/bed info

Hello everyone.

I joined this group about a week ago and have been roaming around checking it out. WOW!, what a wealth of information! In fact, there is so much information I thought I'd just jump in and start asking questions. I just brought my 1968 Safari 23' home yesterday. It's in great restoration shape and I'm exited to get started. I'm looking for the floor plan to my model. There seems to be quite a few for the 23' Safari. It looks like I have 2 single beds side by side up front that convert to a wrap a round sofa. There is a single across from the kitchen that converts into a table and seating for 2. There is a table mounting aluminum slot up front but I have no table. I need to find the table hardware to make a table for up front and I'm also looking for a way to convert the 2 single beds into one large one. All of the cusions are missing so I dont know how they were configured or set up to make the switch from sofa to bed.
My plan is to leave the aluminum interior skin, it is in excellent condition and will clean up like new. I'm going to replace all of the wood panels, doors and cabinets with Maple and finish it natural. For the floor, I'm thinking about a dark cherry "Pergo".
I have other questions concerning other areas of the Safari, do I have to go into each forum concerning those areas to ask?
I need a new front window cover, the one that is plastic coragated, mine is broken.
Well, I guess that is all for now. I'm sure I'll be on here daily from now untill it's ready for use, hopefully in the spring. Thanks in advance for being here and shareing your wisdom and love of the Airstreams!

Scott
Niss1679

Old 08-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Restoration Help

I'd like to re post my earlier questions from this morning. I thought I would get some replies. If I'm not doing this correctly, please, someone tell me. I'm a manager of the Building Trades & Grounds dept. and cabinetmaker by trade at a local College. I'm looking forward to giving and receiving a lot of information during the restoration of my Safari.
Thanks, Scott

Old 08-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Be patient, Sunday's are slow on any forum. If you don't get a response by tomorrow afternoon, 'bump' your thread. You're in the right spot.

A good place to start looking for replacement parts is Inland RV, Iowa Boys, and a couple others - I'm sure somone else will jump in. Do a search online for the two I mentioned. Andy from Inland posts a lot here.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I'm still looking for the floor plan to my model. There seems to be quite a few for the 23' Safari. It looks like I have 2 single beds side by side up front that convert to a wrap a round sofa. There is a single across from the kitchen that converts into a table and seating for 2. I'm also looking for a way to convert the 2 single beds into one large one. All of the cusions are missing so I dont know how they were configured or set up to make the switch from sofa to bed.
Over the weekend we cleaned the aluminum interior skin. It didn't look any better the year it was new. It cleaned up Great. I'm going to replace all of the wood panels, doors and cabinets with Maple and finish it natural. I ordered the plywood and 5/4 maple today and am taking a couple of days off this week to build new cabinets. For the floor, I'm thinking about a dark cherry "Pergo".

I need a new front window cover, the one that is plastic coragated, mine is broken. Anyone know where to get one?
Well, I guess that is all for now. I'm sure I'll be on here daily from now untill it's ready for use, hopefully in the spring. Thanks in advance for being here and shareing your wisdom and love of the Airstreams!

Scott
Niss1679
Old 08-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Many Pergo's are not water proof despite what they say. If you really intend to use this unit to camp with, you might want to go to a completely waterproof floor which is easily swept out and washed. Depends if you are after looks or function.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:21 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Welcome Scott!

I to am a new owner of an old coach (68 Trade Wind). Lots of help to be had here. This link may be helpful, tons of good stuff there http://www.airstreamtrailers.com/

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Rivet

Hi Scott, This site is a good starting point http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.htmlScroll down to your trailer... Think durable for your floor choice. My 67 Safari is almost the same. The kitchen and goucho are reverced. Hope this helps Lee
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

When you say completly waterproof, are you talking about sheet vinyl? I was thinking of Pergo for the ease of sweeping it out and also the look. I didn't know that Pergo wasn't waterproof. I've had it installed and have installed it myself. When removed the carpet from my Safari, I found vct "vinyl tiles", do you think that they were original? Any suggestions on flooring?

Thanks,
Scott
niss1679
68 Safari
Old 08-29-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by niss1679
I need a new front window cover, the one that is plastic coragated, mine is broken. Anyone know where to get one?Scott
Niss1679
Scott, the corrugated fiberglass piece you need is available from almost any home improvement store. They are available in a variety of colors, although green was the OEM color.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
Craftsman

Hi Scott,
I'm also a cabinetmaker here in Maryland. I build custom furniture mostly in the Arts and Crafts style although not exclusively.I also do a bit of custom Airstream cabinet work. I think the Maple interior will be great for a small coach.I love Maple ,it's a great wood to work with because you have so many choices of grain patterns.It's also one of the heavy hardwoods at about 44 lbs. cu. ft. I'm sure you probably know this but be careful of how much weight you add with the Maple cabinets, especially with the solid wood. I would use every trick you know to keep the weight as light as possible.The floor will also add weight so I would recommend that you install the cabinets first and the floor just where it will show.Sounds like a great project. You have an incredible group of people on this forum with a lot of different talents expertise that can answer most any question concerning Airstreams.Pahaska and Tom W are also excellent woodworkers.

Jack
Old 08-29-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

68 Safari

I always knew that Airstreams were popular and in demand. I've wanted one since I can remember. Is there no end to the amount of information on Airstreams? I havn't been this excited about a project since coaching football. Thanks Lee, Rodney and dwightdi for the wecome and sites.

Scott
68 Safari
Old 08-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Scott, the corrugated fiberglass piece you need is available from almost any home improvement store. They are available in a variety of colors, although green was the OEM color.
Terry, the corragated plastic is closed on the ends and custom fits into an aluminum frame (I think). The plastic you mention from the home center would be open on both ends after cutting it to length, Does that matter? What does OEM mean, original?

Scott
68 Safari
Old 08-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by niss1679
Terry, the corragated plastic is closed on the ends and custom fits into an aluminum frame (I think). The plastic you mention from the home center would be open on both ends after cutting it to length, Does that matter? What does OEM mean, original?

Scott
68 Safari
The corrugation runs side-to-side, and the edges of the fiberglass should be open, with an aluminum frame all around it.
OEM is an automotive term, it stands for Original Equipment Manufacture.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Hi Scott,
I think the Maple interior will be great for a small coach.I love Maple ,it's a great wood to work with because you have so many choices of grain patterns.It's also one of the heavy hardwoods at about 44 lbs. cu. ft. I'm sure you probably know this but be careful of how much weight you add with the Maple cabinets, especially with the solid wood. I would use every trick you know to keep the weight as light as possible.The floor will also add weight so I would recommend that you install the cabinets first and the floor just where it will show.
Jack
Thanks Jack, that is a GREAT tip for the flooring! I was going to run it side to side, end to end. I chose maple for it's strength and natural look. The only solid maple I'll be using will be on all of the cabinet faces. There is oak there now. I think that the original white coated aluminum skin and the natural maple will give the 23'er an open airy feeling. Plus, if I dont make this classic look like a brand new one, my wife wont be going with me as often.

All of the interior plywood is 1/4" and 3/8". I ordered 1/4" maple F2S but they don't make 3/8" F2S. I'll have to use 1/2" for the door fronts and seat/bed boards. Is that what everyone else does?
Thanks,
Scott
68 Safari