Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
65 Overlander

Folks,

I could use some advice.

What would the original wood be in the 65 Overlander?

Would it have been varnished? 1/2 of the wood in this trailer is varnished, and 1/2 isn't.

Some of the wood has delaminated under the vent pipes, due to water leaking in holes for vent pipes. Leaks fixed years ago but still some delamination, water stains, etc.

If the wood was originally varnished, then I can reglue laminate down reseal and varnish. If not, then I'll probably have to replace.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMateo
Folks, I could use some advice. What would the original wood be in the 65 Overlander? Would it have been varnished? 1/2 of the wood in this trailer is varnished, and 1/2 isn't. Thanks
Phil:

Look at the serial number plate by the door on your trailer. It will state either Land Yacht or International Land Yacht. For 1965 only, if it states just Land Yacht the interior wood should be Philippine mahagony. If International Land Yacht, then the wood should be walnut. I think all 1965 interior wood originally was hand rubbed with an oil finish and not varnished. You might try to remove the varnish and oil all the wood with Watco Danish Oil or a similar product. Best wishes with your restoration!

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

PHIL, Fred is, as usual, correct. My '65 Tradewind International has the original wood interior and nearly all of it looks like walnut. I suspect there may be some cherry veneer used in places not seen too much. Either one will work if you need to replace peices. If your doors are warped or delaminated too much, look for some new material of the same thickness (3/8" for lower cabinet doors, 1/2" for closet doors) in either cherry or walnut. Use light or medium walnut Watco for the first coat, then natural for the remaining coats -at least two more for existing wood and more for new material. Best to have some heat and air circulation to help set up the Watco. You can also use the Watco satin wax after the oil has cured, but I prefer just the oil so touch-up is easier should anything get scratched. Darol
Old 12-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was able to repair some minor delamination in my trailer by injecting a tiny bit of glue between the sheets, and then clamping it.

Listen to Darol, I've seen his TW and the wood in it absolutely glows! I can't hardly tell the replacement panels from the originals.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
I have an International Overlander

The Overlander is International, at least thats on the side of the trailer.

If its wlanut, great. I can re-veneer where delaminated, or completely replace.

I like the parts that were oiled much better than varnish. I think I will remove varnish and restain to original.

Thanks