Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
Angry 1973 closet latches

Gotta ask again. CANNOT properly assemble and install replacement closet LATCHES. recently bought some simple drawer pulls 2 pieces and a 2 page instruction sheet was included. Buy the replacement closet latch n ~ 5 pieces and no instructions. Apparently others are having the same problem. + whats the larger black rectangular piece with 2 round holes for ?? H E L P Someone has to have this information.....
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Is this the latch you are trying to install? And the black piece your wondering about is the flat piece on the top left with three screw holes?

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/images/18693.JPG
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Is this the latch you are trying to install? And the black piece your wondering about is the flat piece on the top left with three screw holes?

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/images/18693.JPG
Yes, Those are the parts received. The top left piece is not with the original latch when removed from the door. What is the assembly process and where is the top left part involved in replacing the original ? Thanx JC
Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
We need a video to help us... my husband has taken this camper apart and put back together.. but totally failed on putting the new latch in.
Does anyone have directions and hints they would like to share?
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
When it comes time to snap the assemblies' precision molded pieces apart or back together having the plastics sun-warmed or 'hair-drier warmed' allows the built-in catch design to yield easier to prying or gentle percussion.

Beware: the little coil spring enjoys launching out at better than light-speed thus bending the space-time continuum and jumping straight into tomorrow, only to be found then, in plain sight, tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The flat black piece doesn't get used for the door. The black parts of the latch assembly were used in multiple places on the trailer and some of those required a spacer.

If you don't have the original screws you'll need to make a hardware store run for the appropriate pan head screws. The screw heads will need to seat fully in the screw dimples so the black slide will be able to move. Are the screw holes in the door in good shape or did they get eaten out prying the old black portion off? If they need repair - get some flat toothpicks and put as many in the holes as will fit - pull them out and dip them in wood glue - reinsert and snap them off.

More later - have to get to the office....
Old 07-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mitzi View Post
Yes, Those are the parts received. The top left piece is not with the original latch when removed from the door. What is the assembly process and where is the top left part involved in replacing the original ? Thanx JC
Continuing....With the top left rectangular piece out of the conversation ( not needed ) How are the 2 inside of door black plastic pieces, the spring and white piece assembled. I can get them together but have yet to assemble them correctly. AND my original assembly was pop riveted into the aluminum part of the door and the brown outside door latch was simply attached with the 2 screws......H E l P AGAIN
Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Angry 1973 closet door latch assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
The flat black piece doesn't get used for the door. The black parts of the latch assembly were used in multiple places on the trailer and some of those required a spacer.

If you don't have the original screws you'll need to make a hardware store run for the appropriate pan head screws. The screw heads will need to seat fully in the screw dimples so the black slide will be able to move. Are the screw holes in the door in good shape or did they get eaten out prying the old black portion off? If they need repair - get some flat toothpicks and put as many in the holes as will fit - pull them out and dip them in wood glue - reinsert and snap them off.

More later - have to get to the office....
Gary, Apparently U R assembling the inside door part on the door. Screw the non sliding black part to the inside of the door, insert the white tab, spring and then install the sliding latch ?? My latch was originally pop riveted to the aluminum door frame ??. At this point I'll try anything. Many Thanx Jim & Mitzi AGAIN..the seller should supply instructions at least to assemble....JC
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I have photos for you - just behind on everything - we were without power for 5 days. You could rivet or screw the non moving black part - don't think it will make that much difference. You'll just have to find the right length and diameter rivet to do the job. The black latch mounts on the back of the door and catches on the center post or cabinet edge. The non moving base has to face the right direction. The right end (in the picture) on the non moving black part faces the door edge. Place the spring and move the top black part (right edge in picture facing door edge) back to compress the spring and snap it down on the base. Look at the underside of the top part and you can kind of tell how far back you have to slide it for the ears to snap down on the base. It won't just easily snap in.

I'll try to post more details for you Monday - I'll be at the campground tomorrow to prep the trailer - has to go in Monday morning to get a new Quickbite coupler. No wifi there.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I should have mentioned - don't worry about ay of the other parts untile the black slide is mounted.

Yes mine are mounted on the door. I don't understand how yours were mounted in the past.

You do have place routed out on the door front for the brown portion to seat in? There is a hole routed through to the back side of the door?
If so, there should already be screw holes where the original slide was mounted over top that hole on the inside of the door?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here is a photo of the black slide properly place on the back side of the door:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Latch 002.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	162769  
Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Next insert the smaller brown face latch into the back of the larger portion - slide it forward and down until it drops into the back and lays flush:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Latch 010.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	162770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Latch 011.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	162771  

Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Insert the white part through the front of the door into the back of the black slide.

The tabbed end goes into the black latch - the tab goes away from the door edge.

You'll need to slide the black latch back to get the white part to insert into the slot. If it's seated correctly - when you slide the black latch it will move with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Latch 006.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	162772  
Old 07-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Start the brown latch at an angle so that the tab on the end slides under the aluminum frame edge.

Lower it into place while sliding the black latch back until you feel the white insert seat in the back. It should then be sitting flush to the door face and you can install the screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Latch 013.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	162773  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
OK - that wasn't so bad now was it...

So the door now closes and latches nicely. Here is where the flat black rectangular piece may come in. With the door closed does it have play in it... If so, the flat black piece is designed to stop that. It gets installed on the inside of the cabinet on the the aluminum post or cabinet edge. If it was there before there should already be holes where it was installed with rivets.

Good luck - once you do one it will seem like a piece of cake...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Latch 004.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	162774  
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Jim & Mitzi - Janie Q - did you get your latches installed?

I hate unresolved threads - sorry - a little OCD that way... ;-)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #17

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Jim & Mitzi - Janie Q - did you get your latches installed?

I hate unresolved threads - sorry - a little OCD that way... ;-)
Failed.
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
Failed.
What went wrong? Can you post a picture of the problem area so someone can help you..... sorry your stilll having an issue.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Finally conquered situation....Put on my McGiver hat and used pan head screws , kind of a self taping type, will add a pic if I can , 2 small washers and attached the 3 inside of door parts properly assembled to the door and then installed the brown outside parts.....D O N E finally What a relief. Still think instructions should be included with the package when purchased Andy....Too many variations as to how the inside of door black and white part can be put together. I have ruined 3 inside part sets in 2 years of ocassional attempts. Many thanx to all that participated in resolving tyhis simple problem. Jim & Mitzi
Old 04-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 30' Sovereign
Richland , Washington
Is there any more info or video on how to do these latches? I feel like a moron. I've replaced axles and the subfloor but this latch is kicking my back end. I can't figure out how the spring goes and now I have two black assemblies snapped together incorrectly and can't seem to get them back apart. Ugh.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Airstream Forums mobile app
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD
https://www.silversojourner.com/
SilverMiette is offline   Reply With Quote