Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 22' Argosy 22
Fayetteville , Arkansas
1972 Argosy 22

I would like to locate a front dinette/bed to replace the sofa bed in my 22. Does anyone have info on where to look or call.
parrishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
Front dinette/bed swop out

I can't beleive that no one posted a reply to this. There are so many helpful people out there who check out the forums on a daily basis. Perhaps your subject line did not bring up enough interest. I get the feeling we Argosy owners are in the vast minority. I relly like your idea but the major issue I can see is the fresh water holding tank that resides below my front goucho. If you were to put a dinette/bed in there you woudl have to do something about the space taken up by the holding tank. I hope we get some replies. If I find out anything more I will reply again.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
This is a pretty old thread, but perhaps the OP is still looking for answers?

If so, you could make it a u-shaped dinette and still retain the same position for the holding tank:

Forum member PizzaChop has done this to a couple of his Airstreams:

And forum member SurferStyle has followed suit:

Good luck!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 22' Argosy 22
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Finally

Thanks for the photos.

I had come to the conclusion after looking at the photo gallery that I could construct this myself and install some smaller, or a differently configured, fresh water tank(s) under the seats.
These photos are clearly great examples of that
The only things I need to locate now are the telescoping hardware for the table and different tank(s).

Thanks again for the pictures they are great and will be a big help..

I agree with the first post. Argosy owners do seem to be a minority but I think a lot of that for me is simply my learning the jargon. I would love to have more information about the right appliances to use for replacement and where is the best place to get them but all I can find are websites that claim to have it all when they simply have the same items that most other camper supply outlets have.
Their inventory is made up of the most popular items and the latest and greatest because that is what sells best for them. That is good business and I am not critizing, just making an observation.

They are not in the business of knowing what the owner of a vintage trailer needs because it is not really that profitable.

I need to find somebody like me.

A 'graybeard' that has been around long enough to know what I am looking for and where to get it from.

When you are rebuilding a vintage trailer you need vintage help.

Anyway , thanks for the responses.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrishw
Thanks for the photos.

I had come to the conclusion after looking at the photo gallery that I could construct this myself and install some smaller, or a differently configured, fresh water tank(s) under the seats.
These photos are clearly great examples of that
The only things I need to locate now are the telescoping hardware for the table and different tank(s).

Thanks again for the pictures they are great and will be a big help..

I agree with the first post. Argosy owners do seem to be a minority but I think a lot of that for me is simply my learning the jargon. I would love to have more information about the right appliances to use for replacement and where is the best place to get them but all I can find are websites that claim to have it all when they simply have the same items that most other camper supply outlets have.
Their inventory is made up of the most popular items and the latest and greatest because that is what sells best for them. That is good business and I am not critizing, just making an observation.

They are not in the business of knowing what the owner of a vintage trailer needs because it is not really that profitable.

I need to find somebody like me.

A 'graybeard' that has been around long enough to know what I am looking for and where to get it from.

When you are rebuilding a vintage trailer you need vintage help.

Anyway , thanks for the responses.
Wow, you're still around and searching for answers after all. Cool! Glad I could help by posting OTHER folks' innovative solutions and hard work (much easier than doing anything on my own).

Respectfully, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions-- you can use the Search function at the top right of your screen to find most of your answers. I would advise using the "Advanced Search" option with simple one-word searches at first, and if possible limit them to the appropriate forum (brake questions in the running gear forum, zolatone questions in the interior restoration forum, etc.).

Also, there are several threads where people are doing major renovations on their trailers-- I highly recommend these for anyone who wants to see all of the specific details about each major system in a trailer (and how to repair/restore/rebuild/replace most of them). Many of these folks ARE the "graybeards" who are just like you and have already done your research for you.

And heck, I highly recommend the major renovation threads just because the people who are doing them are performing some INCREDIBLE work and will give you some great ideas on how to think outside the box. In fact, I stumbled across both of the pictures above by reading these very threads. Here's the link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

Some of those threads are VERY lengthy and go back many years, but if you take the time to read through them, you'll probably find the answers to just about any question you want to ask. Just keep in mind that because some of the threads are so old, some of the links to the resources that they used might be out of date. Still, there are a lot of resource links that are still completely valid and quite helpful.

One more thing, specifically on your question about tanks-- I know that several people seem to have used Inca plastics to make their custom tanks, you should be able to Google search them on the web. And Andy at Inland RV also seems to have a lot of the tanks in fiberglass.

And Rockler has all sorts of good table hardware, I know several of the posters who do renovations have used their stuff for building dinette tables.

Good luck, you're already way ahead of me because you actually own a trailer and I'm still looking for mine!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Searchin'

Yes, this topic has been explored in the past and the search function will dredge up numerous threads where we discussed dinette conversions. I could speak with confident authority were it not for the fact that my own goucho to dinette conversion is now well over 2 years old

BTW, as well as Pizzachop's, SafariTim completed a nice conversion.

Good luck, Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 22' Argosy 22
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Thanks again utee94.

I knew there had to be a way to get the information I needed.
The thing about bweing a Graybeard is that you stop trying to re-invent the wheel cause you know it has already been done by somebody.

I appreciate the guidance on the search and other avenues.