Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Nova Scotia
1968 Airstream Tradewind interior remodel

Hey all,

Well I have a good old 1968 Tradewind, with the rear bathroom and dual Gaucho-style beds both something between a twin and a double, maybe a small person double!

What we have discovered is that the beds just aren't quite big enough for us. I'm 6'2 and my wife is 5'10. We need a bit more width but the length isn't too bad.

So here is my plan: remove the front gaucho, and the slide-away kitchen table, and replace with a custom-built wrap-around booth style setup in front, with cabinets underneath. Sort of a horse-shoe shaped arrangement, with a table in the middle supported by one of those pop-out aluminum pillars, which would lower down and seat in the middle to form a larger almost queen-sized bed. Obviously this would require a custom reupholstery job as well. I am thinking of getting the other gaucho, on the side across from the galley, just reupholstered at this time as well, maybe modified a bit.

Have a friend who is a really good cabinet maker and he has shown interest in the job.

Questions abound though! Hoping to tap some of your knowledge and experience for my planning phase.

- How would my new cabinet assembly attach to the trailer? Just at the bottom to the plywood floors, or can they attach to the inside of the frame somehow? Any cautions with regard to fasteners or styles of fastening?

- What would be better, 3/4 plywood and no 2x2 frame, or smaller plywood say 1/2 or less, with frame? I'd like to keep it light but durable. (And I weigh 260 pounds so it has to be somewhat tough I guess.)

- Has anyone else done something like this? How did it work out? What hurdles did you encounter?

I know the modification takes away from my currently pretty much entirely original trailer's authenticity somewhat. I guess I am just thinking more along the lines of functionality and comfort rather than keeping it the same as what it has been for over 40 years. Can't help that I am too big for the beds I guess!

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

Matt
mpovah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream