Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2002, 10:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1960s Drop Leaf Dining Tables

I spent a great deal of time trying to decide just what to do about the free-standing drop-lear dining table in my '64 Overlander International. The particle board subtrate was disintegrating, the Formica top was scratched with a few chips, and the edge moulding had shrunk to the point that it was becoming unattractive. I had considered having temporary patch type repairs done, but had just about decided to junk the table.

I had the trailer at Fowler Interiors for an Interior Refurbishment when Arlene Fowler suggested restoring the table with an oak top to match the Overlander's cabinetry. The results were fantastic, and the table now sets off the restored interior.

A second view:

The table is actually only 3.5 pounds heavier than the original version with the Formica top over particle board.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:11 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Is that a fake fireplace or a real woodburner in your restored Overlander?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 04:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1960s Drop Leaf Dining Tables

The Overlander is in Cedar Falls, Iowa being winterized and having new stabilizer jacks mounted. The table is in front of the fireplace in my 1920s Dutch Gambrel house.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Really looks sharp. Looks like time, money, and three pounds well spent!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:05 PM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Nice new table...here's mine too

I had a similar dilemma..(sic?)..my table(s) --- attached UNDER the credenza and DOUBLE (with hinges).. had the formica worn and scratched; and the trim was cracked, and broken in areas; in pulling off the trim to add new,,,it was discovered the new trim was 1/4 inch to wide for the present 'plywood', which was damaged on the edges as well---AND the new T-trim wouldn't line up with the present groove (for the "T")
THE SOLUTION: Replace the plywood and make it thick enough and "Rout a new 'T' groove" to accommodate the new aluminum T-trim.
New PROBLEM: (multiple)...1) The new 'plywood' was heavier' 2) and it was thicker...which worked for the T-Trim, and it was set for the new formica; BUT---
A BIG "BUT"...
the hinges and the attachment to the credenza TOP weren't lined up correctly. These hinges have a weird sort of double hole with a center grove between them---and have to be "bored" with a very large "bit"---in EXACTLY the right place! ,,, WHICH with the new table WAS OFF-CENTER. This is probably FOREIGN to anyone reading this...UNLESS you've done it yourself...or run into the problem your self.
It DID work out...and I'm proud to post the photo of the ALMOST finished produce here! NOW.. (if you all know how "TARDY" I can be with my pictures,,,you'll realize what a FETE this is! :O)
I say "ALMOST" because the final table that "hinges" to the table you can see,,,is not installed yet. The table you see here...is hinged to the credenza top. The weird hinges are part of the table top that isn't on yet. I will take close-ups of those hinges for you all to see...AS they are done. This is very intricate work and I am proud to say my son is patient enough and talented/detailed enough to do a fabulous job---(he installed all the T-Trim you can see here.)
Old 12-23-2002, 02:08 PM   #6
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
table photo not on previous post...

Here's the photo... it wouldn't go before..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear~salonroadside sept2k2.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1104  
Old 12-23-2002, 03:06 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Nice looking table

I'm in the process of building the folding-leaf table for converting my dinette to a couch. I found these interesting folding-leaf hinges in the Rockler catalog.

The leaf folds back flat under the table when not in use, rather than hanging down. The hinges have a detent that holds the leaf in place when folded.

When you start to unfold the leaf, half of the hinge swings down, making a support for the leaf. I have to rout a skot in the table bottom for the pivot of the hinge.

The hinges came with 4 monstrous strong springs; obviously meant to support a big oak table somewhere, not a lightweight plywood leaf. I drove out the pins and removed 3 of the 4 springs as unnecessary.

I'm waiting for the laminate to be delivered at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table hinges web.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1106  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
New Card Table

I just ran across this old Thread... and thought you all might be interested in seeing Bear's new Card Table...
and maybe,,, you'll read the WANTED thread I just posted...where I'm looking for the T-leg, for that Card Table (one just like the table leg for the dinette table.

.............Do ya like my new card table (with 'protected' storage shelves below)???
---I'm going to use the shelves under it for thread storage for my sewing machine & serger I'll use at this table and ,,, MAYBE a couple of computer items ---- for my "Notebook" computer.

By The Way.......PAHASKA... I was looking for you --- on another Forum. I'm glad I found you; I had no idea where this Forum was once I left it. Maybe there's a way to find out stuff like that...but I don't know about it. I hope you enjoyed seeing my new cardtable. I LOVE Rocklers...I didn't know there was a chain of them. Seattle's is the only one I knew about. Incredible place. They have a catalog too. I found it looking for hinges for my vanity I'm designing (still haven't found them)...but they're helping me.

Happy weekend everyone.
...........Cat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bear~NewCardTable-May2004_B.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	8189  

Tags