Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
San Diego , California
19' Bambi Mods for Storage?

We've so far been on one trip in our 19' Bambi CCD International Signature. We loved it despite having to slow-dance every time we want to pass each other in the bath area, the TINY gray/black water capacity, and the tiny kitchen with ZERO counter space.

The one MAJOR inconvenience is the lack of storage. We found a basket for our hamper at the bottom of the closet, but we need a few more storage areas. Some thoughts I had were:
- Add a shelf at the bottom of the closet above our hamper, or two shelves and delete the hamper which requires clearance above it
- Replace the over-bed storage with something deeper/taller
- Add a shallow storage area on the underside of the dinette table
- Replace the right dinette seat with a drawer system that better utilizes all that space

Has anyone with 19' Bambis added significant storage in their Airstream? If so, can you please share, and post photos if possible? Thanks in advance!

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
On a long trip, a lot of things like extra clothes, dirty clothes, extra water, even some groceries, travel in the tow vehicle. Of course, we have a big van, but if it doesn't need to be in the Bambi, it isn't.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
San Diego , California
Thanks, Robert! We'll try to use our TV more effectively.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Ok- we have the 16 Bambi, so we hear you loud and clear. We have also just finished our first long road trip and have similar problems.
We also used the tv to store extra clothes and dirty clothes and some food as well as tools. But our 16 has some room under the bed. We measured the space( it's in front of two cabinet doors that open to the trunk storage area) and we went to the container store and bought three rectangle storage bins that fit perfect right up to the bed, and than we bought two square type that fit next to the three also going almost up to the bed. Folded clothes fit in there with extras in the car.
We are now working on the ridiculous closet area. Looks like we are going to go with wire basket shelves from lowes that we will put on the wall located at the base of the closet. It comes with two or three narrow shelves. (5in) I think two, 2 shelf units would fit going up that lower wall in the closet. Good for can and dry foods and toilet paper and who knows what else. We are looking for a wire shelf that would extend our storage on the top part of the closet. I think wire would be good so it doesn't block the light in there. But we are deff open to other options????
Oh yea, also we have a space under the right side seat, it's behind the drawer. And we found the perfect Tupperware container(in Home Depot) it's tall and just skims under the seat and its tapered a bit toward the bottom so it can slide in there and fits perfectly. I keep bread in there, lol it's funny to see me crawl under there every time I am making toast. Keeps me limber to say the least.
If anyone out there has hints for us 16 footers I'd appreciate it and I hope some of these ideas have helped you with your 19. Happy travels.
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
The longest we have spent in the Airstream is a 4-day trip over the holidays. My clothes hamper is essentially a cinch-sack. We carefully fold and pack dirty clothes into it and the 4 days was no problem. I keep it under the bed.

As to clean clothing, I ended putting in one of those hanging shelf things from Target. I forget how many shelves, but we each have at least 2 shelves and 2 of them are "drawers" versus open shelves.

I like that it's lightweight/fabric-ish. When we are on the road, the portable ice maker and coffee maker go into the closet. The shelves fold/lift right up to accommodate the traveling appliances.

We actually still have a lot of room in the Airstream. Maybe we haven't yet fully explored what we can put into it :-)
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Evanston , Illinois
Bambi storage

@Big Air - We have a 16' and have been chasing storage solutions for a little while. My wife and I travel with our two little ones (9 and 4) and have several 6-10 day trips. Dirty laundry and waste basket are two of the current solves we are working on. We have two mods that have served us well. we installed shelves in the wardrobe, leaving enough room to lift the water heater cover for winterization. we also fabricated a shelf with hanging clothing storage bins over our feet above the berth in the back. while driving we strap them up with our clothes in Eagle Creek travel cubes, and when camped we swing out the TV and utilize the bins and shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3438.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	276832  
CZPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Well, we have done many things to improve storage and usable space in our 2002 19' Bambi.

1. Installed a larger sink in an extended countertop and added a stove cover with countertop Formica on it.
2. Added below-cushion storage to the seats of the dinette (fully enclosed in our older model).
3. Added a door to gain easier access to storage under bed.
4. Installed a water-tight (marine-grade) port in the shower seat to gain access to that space.
5. Added angled boards above the upper cabinets front and rear. They hold books, placemats, blankets, etc.
6. Split privacy flap in half such that it folds and one-half of it can be used as counter space.
7. Converted lower part of cabinet under sink into a drawer.
8. Changed all drawer slides to full-extension. Also replaced drawer boxes with sturdier ones.

These may sound like small things, but they do add up.

Since we purchased our trailer new, we have spent at least a continuous month a year in it. Well, one time it was only 3 1/2 weeks.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You can use your tv for storage of items not needed everyday. Heavy coats, rain gear, extra shoes and some cooking items not needed everyday.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
More storage

I just finished helping a friend with a 16' get rid of dining table and turn that space into a couch with tons of storage underneath. With that said most probably won't opt for that renovation. One you might however is add a storage shelf between the upper over the sink cabinet (to the right) and the upper left front storage cabinet. I'm going to do it to my 19 as soon as the weather breaks up here in "da" UP.
Woody
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote