Old 11-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 19' International
San Diego , California
19' Bambi Mods for Storage?

We've so far been on one trip in our 19' Bambi CCD International Signature. We loved it despite having to slow-dance every time we want to pass each other in the bath area, the TINY gray/black water capacity, and the tiny kitchen with ZERO counter space.

The one MAJOR inconvenience is the lack of storage. We found a basket for our hamper at the bottom of the closet, but we need a few more storage areas. Some thoughts I had were:
- Add a shelf at the bottom of the closet above our hamper, or two shelves and delete the hamper which requires clearance above it
- Replace the over-bed storage with something deeper/taller
- Add a shallow storage area on the underside of the dinette table
- Replace the right dinette seat with a drawer system that better utilizes all that space

Has anyone with 19' Bambis added significant storage in their Airstream? If so, can you please share, and post photos if possible? Thanks in advance!

davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
On a long trip, a lot of things like extra clothes, dirty clothes, extra water, even some groceries, travel in the tow vehicle. Of course, we have a big van, but if it doesn't need to be in the Bambi, it isn't.

robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
2015 19' International
San Diego , California
Thanks, Robert! We'll try to use our TV more effectively.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Ok- we have the 16 Bambi, so we hear you loud and clear. We have also just finished our first long road trip and have similar problems.
We also used the tv to store extra clothes and dirty clothes and some food as well as tools. But our 16 has some room under the bed. We measured the space( it's in front of two cabinet doors that open to the trunk storage area) and we went to the container store and bought three rectangle storage bins that fit perfect right up to the bed, and than we bought two square type that fit next to the three also going almost up to the bed. Folded clothes fit in there with extras in the car.
We are now working on the ridiculous closet area. Looks like we are going to go with wire basket shelves from lowes that we will put on the wall located at the base of the closet. It comes with two or three narrow shelves. (5in) I think two, 2 shelf units would fit going up that lower wall in the closet. Good for can and dry foods and toilet paper and who knows what else. We are looking for a wire shelf that would extend our storage on the top part of the closet. I think wire would be good so it doesn't block the light in there. But we are deff open to other options????
Oh yea, also we have a space under the right side seat, it's behind the drawer. And we found the perfect Tupperware container(in Home Depot) it's tall and just skims under the seat and its tapered a bit toward the bottom so it can slide in there and fits perfectly. I keep bread in there, lol it's funny to see me crawl under there every time I am making toast. Keeps me limber to say the least.
If anyone out there has hints for us 16 footers I'd appreciate it and I hope some of these ideas have helped you with your 19. Happy travels.
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
The longest we have spent in the Airstream is a 4-day trip over the holidays. My clothes hamper is essentially a cinch-sack. We carefully fold and pack dirty clothes into it and the 4 days was no problem. I keep it under the bed.

As to clean clothing, I ended putting in one of those hanging shelf things from Target. I forget how many shelves, but we each have at least 2 shelves and 2 of them are "drawers" versus open shelves.

I like that it's lightweight/fabric-ish. When we are on the road, the portable ice maker and coffee maker go into the closet. The shelves fold/lift right up to accommodate the traveling appliances.

We actually still have a lot of room in the Airstream. Maybe we haven't yet fully explored what we can put into it :-)
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote