One step backward, two steps forward.
So my fantastic fans have been leaking. Brand new installs 1 and 2 years old respectively. I went on the roof to check it out and the plastic flanges have cracked at the screws. I think there are two problems. I used rivets to attach them and the attachment of a flat piece of plastic to a curved piece of aluminum. Fantastic fan immediately sent me two new fan bases at no charge, no questions asked. Excellent customer service!
I stole Aerowood's idea but not his tools or expertise and tried to do a better install of a fan. The back was a significant challenge since it is very curved at that position. Approximately 1/2" from flat in 16" in both directions. I had tried originally to use 1" angle underneath the skin to flatten the aluminum skin so that it would mate with the plastic flange. This may have worked if Imused different rivets, but I decided to try this new approach.
I bent some .032 stock into 90 deg angle about 1 1/2" x 1". I used my metal stretcher to match the curve in the outer skin. This is whatnot looks like when you are gentle
This is what it looks like when you try too hard.
These were clecod into place and then the top edge was cut into a straight line. These were buck riveted to the outer skin creating a lip all around the hole for the fan. This should stop any water from the skin getting under the fan. I should have got some help bucking rivets since one of them is sub par.
Then I buck riveted 4 pieces of 1/16" angle to each one of these pieces to make a flat horizontal flange. Sorry not to take any pictures of this. I had too much Vulkem on my hands.
Then I used the the fantastic fan supplied gasket to attach the fan. I had already transferred all the parts and electrical to the new base.
A couple of things I like... Buck riveted flange is the primary weather seal on the roof. Any water that lands on the skin will never see the fan seal.
The fan seal will be easy to change should there be a problem in the future.
The main problem is this took a lot of work and a lot of fussing to get all the parts together.it was easy to buck rivet the flange to the roof, but tough to buck rivet the top piece of angle to the flange. Here's hoping for a big rain storm to see if it works. By the way, I think this turned out OK, but if you want to see it done right, go to Aerowwod's thread.
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums