Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
1980 Caravelle Shell Off Renovation

Wrote the check this week and should get it home in a few weeks. Here are some pics. There is a lot in here that is not original so I've got myself a woodworking project. Any thoughts from you experienced Caravelle owners?
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM8153R.51204001_std.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	123515   Click image for larger version

Name:	VCRTV.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	123516  

Name:	Bathroom.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	123517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadside.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	123518  

timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Beautiful!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Very nice, looks dent free.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Bay Area , California
Congrats! I haven't seen too many caravelle posts, as I have been looking as well. I acquired a 22 foot, 1980 Caravelle in Dec, 2010.
Ritagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzog View Post
Wrote the check this week and should get it home in a few weeks. Here are some pics. There is a lot in here that is not original so I've got myself a woodworking project. Any thoughts from you experienced Caravelle owners?
Tim
Hi Tim,
I have a 1980 24' Caravelle with a front galley in my shop at the moment. I'm doing a complete restoration on it. What info are you looking for?
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Hi Tim,
I have a 1980 24' Caravelle with a front galley in my shop at the moment. I'm doing a complete restoration on it. What info are you looking for?
Thanks,
Colin
Colin,
I don't even know enough yet to know what to ask. I guess I am just wondering what kinds of things I should expect to do right away and what kinds of things will I be able to do at my leisure? Should I expect the plumbing, tanks, electrical, axles,seals, etc. to be shot or is there a chance that it will all work and I can just use it? I've seen a lot of threads about 50s and 60s trailers that needed full restoration but I wonder if a 1980 might need a lot less.
I'd love to see pictures of the restoration on your 24'.
Tim
Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Colin,
I don't even know enough yet to know what to ask. I guess I am just wondering what kinds of things I should expect to do right away and what kinds of things will I be able to do at my leisure? Should I expect the plumbing, tanks, electrical, axles,seals, etc. to be shot or is there a chance that it will all work and I can just use it? I've seen a lot of threads about 50s and 60s trailers that needed full restoration but I wonder if a 1980 might need a lot less.
I'd love to see pictures of the restoration on your 24'.
Tim
Well,
I've done all of what you've just mentioned plus much more & this trailer had sat most of it's life in a campground. The floor is the critical thing to check first then you can figure out where to start. I can send you a bunch of photos if you like.
Colin
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
I have a 1980 24' Caravelle with a front galley in my shop at the moment.
Wow! Those trailers actually exist?!? I thought they were only a figment of brochures and a picture or two on Vintageairstream. Love that floorplan and all the windows...

When you mentioned the Caravelle on the VAP I thought it was a 20' like my Minuet. I'd love to see photos too if you don't mind.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Tim, that's a good looking Caravelle! I spent a while looking for one before I bought my Argosy Minuet. My Minuet 6.0Metre is very similar in design to the Caravelle 20' - both have a narrow body and a lightweight frame.

Here's what I had done to my trailer - like yours, it was a "survivor" in pretty good shape that was used and kept up, but with a more original interior:

- Frame repairs: These trailers only have a cross-member every 4 feet (other AS have one every two). Two of my cross-members had broken lose from weld failures. I had that fixed, two more members put in, and the whole thing painted with rust enscapulator.
- Axle: They all need axles.
- Leaks: They all leak. Lots of sealant pumped into cracks to fix the leaks. (My Argosy has a unique aluminium-composite floor that happily doesn't rot, so I escaped that issue. It brings other ones, but...)
- The belly pan needed to be partly reattached. Had all of the insulation under the floor replaced. It gets really gross with water and living stuff over the years.
- My plumbing was all surprisingly good, but I had it replaced with PEX.
- Had the fuse box updated to modern blade fuses instead of glass.
- My trailer came with a modern battery charger/converter. They're better than the original stuff.
- My various water and waste tanks are all original and work fine. Same with the appliances.
- Had two Fantastic Vents put in the roof.
- Had a slick deadbolt installed; the door latch/lock mechanisms are nearly unobtainium in this era so I don't rely on the lock and latch to hold the door shut when traveling.
- Lots of cosmetics - flooring, cushions.

Enjoy the trailer. They're really easy to tow and all of the windows are great - provide lots of light.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Bay Area , California
I'm struggling with know what to do as well. I don't have space to be able to take the shell off and do that kind of work. I go back and forth between I can do it and ah, forget it, take it somewhere (which means at least 7 hr drive away). It seems shell off or on type rennovation is key to the decision making. How does one figure out if this is needed?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Wow! Those trailers actually exist?!? I thought they were only a figment of brochures and a picture or two on Vintageairstream. Love that floorplan and all the windows...

When you mentioned the Caravelle on the VAP I thought it was a 20' like my Minuet. I'd love to see photos too if you don't mind.

Tom
Yeah, it's real! My client looked for quite some time before he found it & oddly enough, it was only a few hundred miles from his house. He has owned it for about 5 years. He has owned several other Airstream's over the years but this one is the "keeper". With the front galley & rear bath, the central area is one big "entertaining area". It is the size & weight of a 50's era trailer & it's the last of the Alclad trailers so it shined up really well. The graphics are similar to the 20'er & have all been redone & believe it or not were originally orange & red.......................no blue at all. I guess that's part of the Argosy connection. The interior flooring & fabrics have all been re done, not quite original but in keeping with the era.
I'll post some photos when it's complete.
Thanks,
Colin
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
Red face Suzie Belle

I've shared these pics with Tim, but it looks like there is more interest on the Caravelle. I've owned Suzie Belle for six years and finally got around to polishing her last year. Have only heard about 2 other 20 footers in the last six years. The one Tim purchased and one sold on e-bay last week!! I have done alot a work on her but she was in really good shape when I bought her!! Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2637 (Small).jpg
Views:	328
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	123855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2638 (Small).jpg
Views:	370
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	123856  

Name:	IMG_2869 (Small).jpg
Views:	325
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	123857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2084 (Small).jpg
Views:	356
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	123858  

glacierrunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1980 22' Caravelle
Bay Area , California
Pretty, glacierrune! Did you replace decals?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Thanks everybody for all the info and interesting posts. So it sounds like I should plan on a new axle, lots of sealant and check the frame for starters. Is the axle something a normal person should try or is it a job for a mechanic? If so, does it have to be an airstream mechanic or can an auto shop or regular RV shop take care of it? Regarding the other stuff, I want to get by with the least amount of work at the beginning so that I can live with it for a while and decide what I really want to do. I look forward to hearing about all of your projects and seeing lots of pics. By the way, it is totally cruel of Colin to wait until he is totally done to post pics. Any chance of some in process photos????
Thanks so much!
Tim
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Thanks everybody for all the info and interesting posts. So it sounds like I should plan on a new axle, lots of sealant and check the frame for starters. Is the axle something a normal person should try or is it a job for a mechanic? If so, does it have to be an airstream mechanic or can an auto shop or regular RV shop take care of it? Regarding the other stuff, I want to get by with the least amount of work at the beginning so that I can live with it for a while and decide what I really want to do. I look forward to hearing about all of your projects and seeing lots of pics. By the way, it is totally cruel of Colin to wait until he is totally done to post pics. Any chance of some in process photos????
Thanks so much!
Tim
Hi Tim,
Yes the axle can be installed by any mechanically inclined person. I have dropshipped numerous custom built Axis axles all over North America to DIY people & they have been installed without issues.
You're going to want to carefully check the perimeter of the trailer for structural floor rot & the chassis for rust before going too far with the restoration. Many people gloss over this step & end up with serious problems down the road.
I'm including a few exterior photos.......................just to perk your interest
Colin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	123904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	123905  

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	123906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	123907  

Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Whoa! That trailer shines like the rear bumper on a 1952 Buick. Forget the fun house mirrors . . . just walk by that unit at happy hour.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Wow Colin. That is a thing of beauty. How much does an axis axle cost?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Just got the owners manual and title for my 1980 Caravelle 20'. It is going to arrive around March 24th. Hopefully all the spring storms will be gone by then!! I'm feeling impatient. I'd be happy to scan pages if anybody needs specific info about their 1980 airstream. There is a lot of useful information in there.
Tim
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
My Caravelle is arriving next week so I am getting very excited and nervous. I didn't have as much info as I would have liked in making this kind of a purchase but I figured I had to pounce quickly if I wanted to get it. Here's hoping that it will get me through this summer without too much work. I really want to take the family out camping soon. Worst case is a leaky aluminum tent, right??
Tim
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
So my 1980 Caravelle 20'er arrived today. It had 2 flats and the belly pan came a bit loose on it's 1000 mile trip from KS to Utah but it arrived in one piece. The inside is covered in an extra layer of cheap vinyl and has very little of the original interior. There's a 110V fridge from an apartment, no furnace, no battery, the original oven which is pretty rusty and a water heater that is installed deep in the bathroom cabinet. I think it is electric but Im not sure yet. The body is in great shape, the brakes and lights work and the bathroom is intact. The windows are complete but the hardware is a bit rusty and the gaskets are shot. The frames for the upper cabinets are original but the tambour doors have been replaced by cheap white plastic and the hardware is all gone. The floor feels OK but I have yet to go at it with the ice pick and really check it out. One bad sign is that the little dinette table is screwed into the floor and all the screws have pulled out so it wobbles horribly possibly indicating a rotten. I'm hoping it just means bad screws or a poor design and not a rotten floor. Anyway, I'll post pictures soon. It's dark now. I was not planning on a full monte but it might have to be. Wish me luck.
Tim

Tags
1980 caravelle, 20', caravelle

« Model help! | Top | - »