Old 05-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
'76 Caravanner Revival

It seems that there has been little talk about the Totally Unique 1976 Caravanner,, but now that I just bought one, I am hoping to revive some discussion. WOW is all I can say,, I don't want to bore anyone with the fact that the open floor plan ROCKS,, and the amount of windows and light in the 76 is unmatched.... so I will talk about and ask about,, well,, what in the heck do you do with the crusty bubbling windows? I took out the original 32 year old carpet and am putting in light bamboo floors *go green... I have unscrewed the metal screen frames and am having them all replaced.. new screens are running me about 7 bucks per window. A light spray paint in a bone shade to match the original on the frames. I will mask off the lower "hot dog shaped" windows and spray them too. .. my goal here is to freshin things up before I dig deeper into my bicentennial mystery machine!! So there you go,, Lets get the communication going. I don't want to feel like I am the only crazy gold crushed velvet fan out here!!
Rod

Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Sounds great, I'd love to see pictures of it.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Not a bad Idea,, I better fire up the digital camera and start a full documentation.. good luck looking for your unit..
R
Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The Caravanner layout is unique. I would have loved to have found one when I was looking, but the separate sleeping area is nice in my Trade Wind. If you have a bunch of people stop by, the Caravanner is great. The bubble window look is common on some mid 70's. The problem is between the windows. One approach is to break the inner window and clean it that way. The other is to take the windows apart clean them and put it back together.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2D2
It seems that there has been little talk about the Totally Unique 1976 Caravanner,, but now that I just bought one, I am hoping to revive some discussion. WOW is all I can say,, I don't want to bore anyone with the fact that the open floor plan ROCKS,, and the amount of windows and light in the 76 is unmatched.... so I will talk about and ask about,, well,, what in the heck do you do with the crusty bubbling windows? I took out the original 32 year old carpet and am putting in light bamboo floors *go green... I have unscrewed the metal screen frames and am having them all replaced.. new screens are running me about 7 bucks per window. A light spray paint in a bone shade to match the original on the frames. I will mask off the lower "hot dog shaped" windows and spray them too. .. my goal here is to freshin things up before I dig deeper into my bicentennial mystery machine!! So there you go,, Lets get the communication going. I don't want to feel like I am the only crazy gold crushed velvet fan out here!!
Rod
Rod, the 70's Caravanners were always a trailer that I had my eye on. Looks like the perfect party pod to me. Sort of like a grown up 60's Safari, only with more windows. They are rare, as they're designed for 2 people only, not a real family trailer. I think it's great that you realize the potential of your newfound moneypit. Please do post pictures - I can't wait to see the layout of your model.
As far as the windows go, several forums members have successfully altered teh dual pane windows ot singel pane windows. Try a search, you might get lucky and find what you need to learn there.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
The 70's model are quite unique !!! Perfect for 2 people, I have lived in mine for 6 months stright, and we both survived ! it is a party pad !!!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

I had that same model for 12 years in the days before digital cameras so I have no photos to share. I replaced the dark walnut laminate interior with light pine complete with raised panel doors, modified the bath to get larger closet and stand-up shower, removed the side couch and installed a dinette, raised the fridge and set it back over the wheel well to get a wider walkway, "winterized" heating and water systems to be comfortable in the snow, then made good use of it for 10 years snowmobiling in the Oregon mountains. Sold it about 7 years ago and still miss it. May be able to get the "new" owners to post some photos. They have polished the exterior, installed new awning fabric, are taking excellent care of it and love it like I did. And it still has the original bullet-proof gold brocade upholstry! Darol
Old 05-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Sounds great, I'd love to see pictures of it.
Ditto that! Great layout. Unfortunately, the bubbly windows are probably ubiquitous. Good luck!!!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Spent the weekend prepping for Bamboo Flooring. I promise to get some pics this week, and post them.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Update on the bubbling windows: One of the road side windows has a unique shape. My friend and I think it maybe a saint or a virgin. My unit could become a mobile shrine!!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2D2
Update on the bubbling windows: One of the road side windows has a unique shape. My friend and I think it maybe a saint or a virgin. My unit could become a mobile shrine!!
I'll be watching the supermarket tabloids for photos!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Welcome to the club , albeit a small one. I've tinkered with most of it , if I can help with something specific , give a shout .
Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Grand Junction , Colorado
hoping to meet someone in my area, so we can discuss our 1970 caravanner, our book is way too confusing, doesn't explain the inner workings enough. linda in grand junction, colorado. i have rmvac.org and wbcci.org. to check out.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Thanks for the welcomes, much appreciated. The owners manuel and service manuel do not cover Caravanners true enough.... I went to start the frig and the manuel told me to open the outside door to flip a control switch,, well there is NO outside door anywhere near my refrigerator! The joys of our rather small clubette I suppose.

Tags
1976 caravanner