Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravanner > 1975 - 1978 Caravanner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
'76 Caravanner Revival

It seems that there has been little talk about the Totally Unique 1976 Caravanner,, but now that I just bought one, I am hoping to revive some discussion. WOW is all I can say,, I don't want to bore anyone with the fact that the open floor plan ROCKS,, and the amount of windows and light in the 76 is unmatched.... so I will talk about and ask about,, well,, what in the heck do you do with the crusty bubbling windows? I took out the original 32 year old carpet and am putting in light bamboo floors *go green... I have unscrewed the metal screen frames and am having them all replaced.. new screens are running me about 7 bucks per window. A light spray paint in a bone shade to match the original on the frames. I will mask off the lower "hot dog shaped" windows and spray them too. .. my goal here is to freshin things up before I dig deeper into my bicentennial mystery machine!! So there you go,, Lets get the communication going. I don't want to feel like I am the only crazy gold crushed velvet fan out here!!
Rod
Air2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Sounds great, I'd love to see pictures of it.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Not a bad Idea,, I better fire up the digital camera and start a full documentation.. good luck looking for your unit..
R
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The Caravanner layout is unique. I would have loved to have found one when I was looking, but the separate sleeping area is nice in my Trade Wind. If you have a bunch of people stop by, the Caravanner is great. The bubble window look is common on some mid 70's. The problem is between the windows. One approach is to break the inner window and clean it that way. The other is to take the windows apart clean them and put it back together.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2D2
It seems that there has been little talk about the Totally Unique 1976 Caravanner,, but now that I just bought one, I am hoping to revive some discussion. WOW is all I can say,, I don't want to bore anyone with the fact that the open floor plan ROCKS,, and the amount of windows and light in the 76 is unmatched.... so I will talk about and ask about,, well,, what in the heck do you do with the crusty bubbling windows? I took out the original 32 year old carpet and am putting in light bamboo floors *go green... I have unscrewed the metal screen frames and am having them all replaced.. new screens are running me about 7 bucks per window. A light spray paint in a bone shade to match the original on the frames. I will mask off the lower "hot dog shaped" windows and spray them too. .. my goal here is to freshin things up before I dig deeper into my bicentennial mystery machine!! So there you go,, Lets get the communication going. I don't want to feel like I am the only crazy gold crushed velvet fan out here!!
Rod
Rod, the 70's Caravanners were always a trailer that I had my eye on. Looks like the perfect party pod to me. Sort of like a grown up 60's Safari, only with more windows. They are rare, as they're designed for 2 people only, not a real family trailer. I think it's great that you realize the potential of your newfound moneypit. Please do post pictures - I can't wait to see the layout of your model.
As far as the windows go, several forums members have successfully altered teh dual pane windows ot singel pane windows. Try a search, you might get lucky and find what you need to learn there.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
The 70's model are quite unique !!! Perfect for 2 people, I have lived in mine for 6 months stright, and we both survived ! it is a party pad !!!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

I had that same model for 12 years in the days before digital cameras so I have no photos to share. I replaced the dark walnut laminate interior with light pine complete with raised panel doors, modified the bath to get larger closet and stand-up shower, removed the side couch and installed a dinette, raised the fridge and set it back over the wheel well to get a wider walkway, "winterized" heating and water systems to be comfortable in the snow, then made good use of it for 10 years snowmobiling in the Oregon mountains. Sold it about 7 years ago and still miss it. May be able to get the "new" owners to post some photos. They have polished the exterior, installed new awning fabric, are taking excellent care of it and love it like I did. And it still has the original bullet-proof gold brocade upholstry! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Sounds great, I'd love to see pictures of it.
Ditto that! Great layout. Unfortunately, the bubbly windows are probably ubiquitous. Good luck!!!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Spent the weekend prepping for Bamboo Flooring. I promise to get some pics this week, and post them.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Update on the bubbling windows: One of the road side windows has a unique shape. My friend and I think it maybe a saint or a virgin. My unit could become a mobile shrine!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2D2
Update on the bubbling windows: One of the road side windows has a unique shape. My friend and I think it maybe a saint or a virgin. My unit could become a mobile shrine!!
I'll be watching the supermarket tabloids for photos!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Welcome to the club , albeit a small one. I've tinkered with most of it , if I can help with something specific , give a shout .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Grand Junction , Colorado
hoping to meet someone in my area, so we can discuss our 1970 caravanner, our book is way too confusing, doesn't explain the inner workings enough. linda in grand junction, colorado. i have rmvac.org and wbcci.org. to check out.
rattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Tarpon Springs , Florida
Thanks for the welcomes, much appreciated. The owners manuel and service manuel do not cover Caravanners true enough.... I went to start the frig and the manuel told me to open the outside door to flip a control switch,, well there is NO outside door anywhere near my refrigerator! The joys of our rather small clubette I suppose.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
My first investment in Airstream silver was a 1970 Caravanner. I loved the open floorplan and the abundance of light inside. The unique refrigerator placement and the abundance of cabinets and countertop area, set this floorplan apart. Weclome to the FORUMS.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
ConnieFisher

1976 25' Caravanner
1965 17' Caravel
1978 31' Sovereign
Munford , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to ConnieFisher Send a message via Yahoo to ConnieFisher
I read your article to my husband and he stated that you love your Airstream as much as I love mine. I bought mine from my brother in law and got the family discount. We named her Twink . (She is the twinkle of my eye and my son says she looks like a twinkie.)
It was homely inside, but I saw her beauty. The 25’ is the perfect size and the 2 futons in front allows a great gathering place. So far I have replaced the red cowboy curtains and the denium futon material , replaced the carpet with hard wood laminate , built a stereo cabinet, put in a flat screen etc...
I have the same problem with my 76 Caravanner windows, great light, ugly flakes. I thought about breaking the glass, but did not want to get that drastic. I also thought about frosting the glass but changed my mine again . I finally decided to cut textured plexiglass and place the plexiglass in the windows. I cut the plexiglass slightly larger than the opening . The plexiglass bends The edges hide nicely inside the interior walls. I think it looks great. I got the plexiglass for free. A contractor was tearing down an old building and he gave me several sheets that hung over the fluorescent lights . Recycle Recycle Recycle
Hope this will give you an option
Connie
I started polishing Twink last week I got to a stopping point with the polishing so we could go to the lake for 3 days. And then there was TRAGEDY
My husband backed into a tree. I am sick about it . Cried for 3 days and decided to do something about it. We have now taken out most of the bathroom to get to inside walls . We pushed the bent out the best we could but it is not good enough yet . I want to put a fake window or something in . If anyone has suggestions .. Please HELP . I am still in great pain. On our trip I did get comforting words. The man camping next to us said that if it was any other camper but an Airstream that it would have been totaled. He was in a Jayco. I am considering buying another Airstream just to get the round aluminum skin off and putting it on Twink.
Help
If anyone knows of a wrecked Airstream or cheap one with the rounded end on the door side in good shape close to Memphis, please contact me. Connie cell 901 494 5013
ConnieFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Is the damage limited to one panel ? Panels are still available for Airstream , somewhere around $350 . Post a picture of the damage , sometimes they can be rolled out from the inside .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #18
ConnieFisher

1976 25' Caravanner
1965 17' Caravel
1978 31' Sovereign
Munford , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to ConnieFisher Send a message via Yahoo to ConnieFisher
My husband hit the tree pretty hard. Messed up 2 panels. I talked to Kevin that works for Complete Painting & Remodeling, Inc
He saw the pics and said " Wow he hit it pretty good."
He said that he could make the panels and is getting back to me in a couple of days. Since my last name is Fisher I was thinking I might get four fish cut out and rivit them on????? I will try to send pictures Connie
ConnieFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1999 25' Safari
Truckee , California
I have a 1976 25' Caravanner that I bought to remodel. I parked it next to my shop for the winter. We had unusually heavy snows last winter and the weight of the snow caved the roof in. I have given up on remodeling and would like to get rid of it before the snows start this winter. I live in the Lake Tahoe, CA area. If anyone is interested in attempting to restore it or just use it for parts, you can have it for next to nothing. I hate to see all those vintage Airstream bits and pieces go to a crusher, but I need to move it in the next month or so. It should tow just fine, has brand new tires (which I would kinda like to save for my 1999 Safari if that can be worked out somehow). Anyone out there that could make use of something like this?
GGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
When I first got my '71 caravanner, I didn't know how unique they are/were, they are a palace for one person. Love all the windows and light. No problems with any of the windows, so far.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1976 caravanner