Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
My first investment in Airstream silver was a 1970 Caravanner. I loved the open floorplan and the abundance of light inside. The unique refrigerator placement and the abundance of cabinets and countertop area, set this floorplan apart. Weclome to the FORUMS.

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
ConnieFisher

1976 25' Caravanner
1965 17' Caravel
1978 31' Sovereign
Munford , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to ConnieFisher Send a message via Yahoo to ConnieFisher
I read your article to my husband and he stated that you love your Airstream as much as I love mine. I bought mine from my brother in law and got the family discount. We named her Twink . (She is the twinkle of my eye and my son says she looks like a twinkie.)
It was homely inside, but I saw her beauty. The 25 is the perfect size and the 2 futons in front allows a great gathering place. So far I have replaced the red cowboy curtains and the denium futon material , replaced the carpet with hard wood laminate , built a stereo cabinet, put in a flat screen etc...
I have the same problem with my 76 Caravanner windows, great light, ugly flakes. I thought about breaking the glass, but did not want to get that drastic. I also thought about frosting the glass but changed my mine again . I finally decided to cut textured plexiglass and place the plexiglass in the windows. I cut the plexiglass slightly larger than the opening . The plexiglass bends The edges hide nicely inside the interior walls. I think it looks great. I got the plexiglass for free. A contractor was tearing down an old building and he gave me several sheets that hung over the fluorescent lights . Recycle Recycle Recycle
Hope this will give you an option
Connie
I started polishing Twink last week I got to a stopping point with the polishing so we could go to the lake for 3 days. And then there was TRAGEDY
My husband backed into a tree. I am sick about it . Cried for 3 days and decided to do something about it. We have now taken out most of the bathroom to get to inside walls . We pushed the bent out the best we could but it is not good enough yet . I want to put a fake window or something in . If anyone has suggestions .. Please HELP . I am still in great pain. On our trip I did get comforting words. The man camping next to us said that if it was any other camper but an Airstream that it would have been totaled. He was in a Jayco. I am considering buying another Airstream just to get the round aluminum skin off and putting it on Twink.
Help
If anyone knows of a wrecked Airstream or cheap one with the rounded end on the door side in good shape close to Memphis, please contact me. Connie cell 901 494 5013

Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Is the damage limited to one panel ? Panels are still available for Airstream , somewhere around $350 . Post a picture of the damage , sometimes they can be rolled out from the inside .
Old 07-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #18
ConnieFisher

1976 25' Caravanner
1965 17' Caravel
1978 31' Sovereign
Munford , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to ConnieFisher Send a message via Yahoo to ConnieFisher
My husband hit the tree pretty hard. Messed up 2 panels. I talked to Kevin that works for Complete Painting & Remodeling, Inc
He saw the pics and said " Wow he hit it pretty good."
He said that he could make the panels and is getting back to me in a couple of days. Since my last name is Fisher I was thinking I might get four fish cut out and rivit them on????? I will try to send pictures Connie
Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1999 25' Safari
Truckee , California
I have a 1976 25' Caravanner that I bought to remodel. I parked it next to my shop for the winter. We had unusually heavy snows last winter and the weight of the snow caved the roof in. I have given up on remodeling and would like to get rid of it before the snows start this winter. I live in the Lake Tahoe, CA area. If anyone is interested in attempting to restore it or just use it for parts, you can have it for next to nothing. I hate to see all those vintage Airstream bits and pieces go to a crusher, but I need to move it in the next month or so. It should tow just fine, has brand new tires (which I would kinda like to save for my 1999 Safari if that can be worked out somehow). Anyone out there that could make use of something like this?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
When I first got my '71 caravanner, I didn't know how unique they are/were, they are a palace for one person. Love all the windows and light. No problems with any of the windows, so far.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #21

1976 25' Caravanner
Alameda , California
Hello! We just got a '76 caravanner to remodel and use as a photo darkroom/studio. I know this might offend everyone, but we wanted to gut it to make room for darkroom sink, etc. We're wondering if anyone would be interested in the appliances? We're in Oakland, CA.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Come on- pictures of this model, please! I did not know there were '70's Caravanners.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Oakland 1976,

Don't do it. Get a more common Ambassador or Sovereign. The '76 Caravanners are rare!!! Seriously...

BTW, I'm in the SouthBay & I'd like to stop by one of these days and check out your trailer
Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
Oakland 1976,

Don't do it. Get a more common Ambassador or Sovereign. The '76 Caravanners are rare!!! Seriously...

BTW, I'm in the SouthBay & I'd like to stop by one of these days and check out your trailer
I'll second that . Besides , there are too many windows to make a good darkroom. A Tradewind is the same size if thats the criteria.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Monroe , Louisiana
My wife and I just had an offer accepted for a 76 caravanner and we are beside ourselves. It will be a labor of love for sure but we will do our best to provide tons of pictures and updates on our progress.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Hey crowemagnon,
Congratulations on your cool new Caravanner!
Post some pics when you get it!

David
Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Monroe , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wixom61 View Post
Hey crowemagnon,
Congratulations on your cool new Caravanner!
Post some pics when you get it!

David
Thanks!

The sale will be complete tomorrow. My wife and I are very excited.
Here are a few pictures she took when we looked at it the first time. I will definitely post more once we have it in our possession.

Airstream pictures by complete_geek - Photobucket
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #28

1970 25' Caravanner
Brandon , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattan View Post
hoping to meet someone in my area, so we can discuss our 1970 caravanner, our book is way too confusing, doesn't explain the inner workings enough. linda in grand junction, colorado. i have rmvac.org and wbcci.org. to check out.
I am in Tampa and just bought a 1970 Caravanner. It is largely just a shell with some rot in the floor but I am so excited to fix it up! I have always wanted an old Airstream.

I may not be so excited after I sink thousands of dollars into it!

Tags
1976 caravanner