Old 08-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Seguin , Texas
The Long Long Trailer...Renovation...

I'm just now starting to dive into a 1967 Overlander International. I talked my wife into letting me bid, sight-un-seen, on the trailer listed on EBay. Definitely had a lump in my stomach when I won the bid, and thought oh no, what did I do! It's been a year and one child later, I'm really excited to start working on it. I've been reading up, taking notes, getting ready to start the Reno process. Any suggestions from those that have gone before me is welcomed and greatly appreciated! Below are a few pics of her as she sits. I believe she's in pretty much all original condition and the shell is in great shape. I've spent the last few months working here and there to get her dried in.

It really needs a shell off floor repair, but I'm afraid I won't have the time with my two young kiddos, a 2yr old and a 6month old. I'd rather patch now, use it awhile, then do the full Monte. I know it has tail separation and the typical soft spots near the door and under a few windows. I haven't pulled the carpet yet but plan to soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	779.0 KB
ID:	292535Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	292536Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	292537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	292538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	292539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	292540

Old 08-18-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Sounds like a good plan to patch now... looks like a very original trailer.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums. Here is a link to a site my buddy Tom put together several years ago when he refurbished his 67 Overlander. Make lots of pics as you take things apart, you can't have too many and they will save you time when 6 months later you are trying to figure out just how a part goes back together.

http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/AirstreamIndex.htm
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
How is it going Adam?

We are in the middle of taking everything out... everything is riveted, bolted, screwed, nailed in... some things are a combination of at least three of those methods
Old 08-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Seguin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Welcome to the forums. Here is a link to a site my buddy Tom put together several years ago when he refurbished his 67 Overlander. Make lots of pics as you take things apart, you can't have too many and they will save you time when 6 months later you are trying to figure out just how a part goes back together.

http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/AirstreamIndex.htm

Thanks! I actually stumbled upon Tom's page about a year ago. It is great and I have emailed him a question or two already. He and his page are very helpful!
Old 08-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Seguin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorOntario View Post
How is it going Adam?

We are in the middle of taking everything out... everything is riveted, bolted, screwed, nailed in... some things are a combination of at least three of those methods

Haven't had time to do much, busy at my day job the last few weekends. I did remove a spare Corning window from a hinge bar today while Hurricane Harvey pounded us with rain and wind. I've got three plexiglass windows in the trailer. Luckily, the family I bought the trailer from gave me a bunch of spare parts, including two of the large curved Corning windows, two of the medium size curved, and one flat front or rear window. Now I've just got to remove them from the hinge bars. This is really difficult. I took my time, didn't want to break them. My trailer has the newer hinge bar version that splits in two. Those are way easier to work with.

I did finish up sealing around the fridge roof vent before Harvey hit. Just in time! So far we are at 7" of rain and more on the way... predicted 100% chance for the next 12 hours totaling around 15-20" predicted. We couldn't buy a rain drop the last three months.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Over_Int View Post
Haven't had time to do much, busy at my day job the last few weekends. I did remove a spare Corning window from a hinge bar today while Hurricane Harvey pounded us with rain and wind. I've got three plexiglass windows in the trailer. Luckily, the family I bought the trailer from gave me a bunch of spare parts, including two of the large curved Corning windows, two of the medium size curved, and one flat front or rear window. Now I've just got to remove them from the hinge bars. This is really difficult. I took my time, didn't want to break them. My trailer has the newer hinge bar version that splits in two. Those are way easier to work with.

I did finish up sealing around the fridge roof vent before Harvey hit. Just in time! So far we are at 7" of rain and more on the way... predicted 100% chance for the next 12 hours totaling around 15-20" predicted. We couldn't buy a rain drop the last three months.

You are so lucky to have those extra parts! We have 3 of the original windows and we aren't touching them at this point, the hinges are also original and rusted and I can only assume things will shatter if we try to touch them

I am already thinking ahead to reinstalling everything and with it taking this long to gut I am a little nervous, our electrical looks a little bit disastrous but we will be having someone come this week to take a look and see if we need a total re wire or not

Just have the bathroom left to take out - carefully - and then clean. I recommend the bleach foam spray for the skins if yours are .... well loved

Good luck and STAY DRY! can't wait to see pics.. will be adding some more in my thread in the 67 overlander section
Old 08-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
Also - we have the original owners manual and all the appliance manuals.. if you don't have these and want anything scanned/sent let me know!