Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Oozing forward

Despite a number of real life interruptions (like one of my daughter's birthday celebration, I managed to get a couple of things done. While I think the "final" Overlande (Overlander 2.0?) will have LED running lights, I figure there will be rewiring, polishing and/or painting that will require removal, installation, removal, installation, etc. Oh, and I have the little problem of a short in the wiring between the access panel and all of the rear lights (marker, tail/turn/brake). So, I ventured into the local Wal-Mart where I found a fairly close incandescent marker light for about $2.50 a pop. I figured, hey, I need running lights to move the Overlander so why not just "get by?" So, I just ran the new whip into the access panel area and up through a hole in the floor, wired power the front marker lights and ran a length of "four-wire" to the rear of the trailer. I took a pigtail off the tail lights and just ran 14 gauge wire over the skin to the five red marker lights. Sure, it's a baling wire and duct tape lash up, but it just needs to work to get the girl down the road to the frame/floor shop. So, as of this evening all exterior running lights work. By the way, 41 years is just enough time to make the existing 12v wiring rather difficult to handle.

So, the manual hitch jack is back on... although it needed a bit of persuasion. The interior is almost ready. On Saturday, I spent a couple of hours cleaning the inside with Super Clean and Marine Clean (a bit of comparative testing). So, both cleaners work relatively well, though I think the whole inside could use another turn or two of scrubbing. Or maybe it's time to think interior paint. The Reese dual cam hitch is painted John Deer green. (Hey, I had it in the gun from painting the utility trailer and thought... why not add a little color?)

On this note, I spent a fair amount of time spinning my wheels looking for a square u-bolt. God bless the Internet because I finally found a web page that tells me the mystery u-bolt is Part 58000, Reference 14, Number 26000, a package of two square u-bolts 7/16"-20-6" with I presume an interior width of 2 1/16". I'm going to call Charlie's Camping Center tomorrow and see if these fine folks can order three packages of two for me.

Tomorrow, I'll order the tires. I'm leaning towards the Cooper's. While I'd like to knock out everything next weekend, I think this is a "phased" job. I'll pull the trailer onto the ramps, pull one set of wheels/tires and have a local shop pull them so I can clean up the wheels a bit. While the first set of tires is getting mounted and balanced, I'll pull the hubs and repack the wheel bearings. This is the last run for these axles, but I'd hate to burn a bearing on the final voyage. When the first axle is buttoned up, I'll do the entire thing all over again.

By the way, one of today's lessons... vulkem likes to be kept warm. Otherwise, it doesn't want to ooze at all.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Oozing forward

Greetings Hampstead38!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
On this note, I spent a fair amount of time spinning my wheels looking for a square u-bolt. God bless the Internet because I finally found a web page that tells me the mystery u-bolt is Part 58000, Reference 14, Number 26000, a package of two square u-bolts 7/16"-20-6" with I presume an interior width of 2 1/16". I'm going to call Charlie's Camping Center tomorrow and see if these fine folks can order three packages of two for me.
You might want to double-check the size of your A-Frame beams. Reese offers these u-bolts for 4", 5", and 6" beam depths. I believe that my '64 Overlander took the 4" u-bolts, but I am not certain at this point and don't have the documentation hand to check what was used. The installation is much easier if the u-bolts are the proper size for the A-Frame of the hitch.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Ken, No worries Charlie's Camping Center will take care of you. They all have very laid back attitudes there, but they actually are into what they do. I know they sell Reese and should be able to set you up. Just tow over there bare balled and they can fix you up. I purchased my WD system somewhere else and when they saw how it was done wrong they took it all off and put it back on right. Even taught me exactly how to hook up, adjust, and maintain everything. I really like those people over there. The thing I like best about Charlie's is how they try and act ignorant about Airstreams. Don't be fooled, when you pull in, everyone will be looking out the window at your trailer. I had my brakes done there, and it took three days to get some of the parts in. They parked it in the very back so that it was out of sight. The reason is too many people stop in to see the Airstream on the lot. Even parked out of sight in the back three people inquired as to if it was for sale. Ruby is the older lady up front in the store. She is my adopted Grandmother(in my head). Ruby is very friendly and knows her stuff. I always go to her for help. If you are like me and do not want to know how much you spend, she might be kind enough to not tell you your totals either. Charlie's also sells propane by the pound. Kenny the black guy in the back takes great care in making sure you get a full tank and that it has been filled properly. He has a secret desire to convert an Airstream to mobile bakery.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm going to have to ask my wife before I tow anywhere "bare-balled. Seriously, it may be worth a trip to have them tune everything before we pull. I'm no expert when it comes to hitching.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote