Despite a number of real life interruptions (like one of my daughter's birthday celebration, I managed to get a couple of things done. While I think the "final" Overlande (Overlander 2.0?) will have LED running lights, I figure there will be rewiring, polishing and/or painting that will require removal, installation, removal, installation, etc. Oh, and I have the little problem of a short in the wiring between the access panel and all of the rear lights (marker, tail/turn/brake). So, I ventured into the local Wal-Mart where I found a fairly close incandescent marker light for about $2.50 a pop. I figured, hey, I need running lights to move the Overlander so why not just "get by?" So, I just ran the new whip into the access panel area and up through a hole in the floor, wired power the front marker lights and ran a length of "four-wire" to the rear of the trailer. I took a pigtail off the tail lights and just ran 14 gauge wire over the skin to the five red marker lights. Sure, it's a baling wire and duct tape lash up, but it just needs to work to get the girl down the road to the frame/floor shop. So, as of this evening all exterior running lights work. By the way, 41 years is just enough time to make the existing 12v wiring rather difficult to handle.
So, the manual hitch jack is back on... although it needed a bit of persuasion. The interior is almost ready. On Saturday, I spent a couple of hours cleaning the inside with Super Clean and Marine Clean (a bit of comparative testing). So, both cleaners work relatively well, though I think the whole inside could use another turn or two of scrubbing. Or maybe it's time to think interior paint. The Reese dual cam hitch is painted John Deer green. (Hey, I had it in the gun from painting the utility trailer and thought... why not add a little color?)
On this note, I spent a fair amount of time spinning my wheels looking for a square u-bolt. God bless the Internet because I finally found a web page that tells me the mystery u-bolt is Part 58000, Reference 14, Number 26000, a package of two square u-bolts 7/16"-20-6" with I presume an interior width of 2 1/16". I'm going to call Charlie's Camping Center tomorrow and see if these fine folks can order three packages of two for me.
Tomorrow, I'll order the tires. I'm leaning towards the Cooper's. While I'd like to knock out everything next weekend, I think this is a "phased" job. I'll pull the trailer onto the ramps, pull one set of wheels/tires and have a local shop pull them so I can clean up the wheels a bit. While the first set of tires is getting mounted and balanced, I'll pull the hubs and repack the wheel bearings. This is the last run for these axles, but I'd hate to burn a bearing on the final voyage. When the first axle is buttoned up, I'll do the entire thing all over again.
By the way, one of today's lessons... vulkem likes to be kept warm.
Otherwise, it doesn't want to ooze at all.