Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
My first VTS order

We're taking our middle daughter to college this weekend so there isn't much time for tinkering. I did, however, take a few moments to get acquainted with Vintage Trailer Supply. My first order included POR-15 (ouch!), prep materials, Vulkem, rivets and some odds and ends. I have a hand rivet gun, but nothing heavy duty (read pneumatic). It looks like I'm going to have to break out the checkbook and buy a real riveter and rivet shaver. I have a small utility trailer I am refurbishing for my father-in-law. This will be a good chance to use the POR-15 product and see how it works. Over the past week, I've been taking out some shrubs/tree near my garage to pour a parking pad for the Overlander. It takes a great deal of work to get ready to do work, I think. Enjoy the weekend, folks.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, I find that doing the work of getting ready to work is often the hardest part of the entire job.

I mean, you've gotta' consider all the angles, buy a few (or maybe several!) new tools, lay in a sufficient supply of cold beer, think about it some more, etc. First thing I know, the beer's gone, I'm asleep in my chair, and I've still made no progress, EXCEPT that I've figured out that if I had one more new tool, I could do the job quite a bit faster, save some bruised knuckles, AND be in terrific position if I ever wanted ot do this particular job again in the future. Back to step one!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I think you will find that the POR15 works great. The only hard part is keeping the paint off your hands. I wear long gloves and still seem to get it on my legs when wearing shorts or or my hands. Paint thinner does not seem to clean up the brushes but the POR 15 solvent, Acetone or Gumout carb cleaner seem to work. I used silver POR and then silver top coat on the rear frame of my '86 Sovereign. I cut off an outrigger behind the rear wheel and had a new one welded in over a week ago. I had painted both sides of the outrigger and the frame to within 2" of the area to be welded then came back with the degreasing, zinc phosphating and more POR15. I finished that area with a top coat of POR15 Black Cote. It really looks good. Next summer I will tackle the tongue and frame area near the front of the trailer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I remember my first shipment from vintage Trailer Supply. It was five boxes. Two were big boxes containing new Worthington tanks, one with an Astrodome, one with a fantastic fan, and the fifth contained all the seals, gaskets and associated adhesives for the seals, ... there were all new exterior lenses, all new window cranks, rivets, LP hoses and regulator... it was a great day. I came home to a mountain of Vintage Trailer Supply. Any time I see the box, I get excited....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	66135
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Ah, the first order is here. I had a little leakage from the gallon of metal primer but otherwise everything is intact. I have my first set of Olympic rivets. I guess job #1 is to drill out the rivets holding the rear lights and check connections/grounding. I have the soldering iron dug out of the bottom of the toolbox, some rosin core solder and some copper for pigtails. If the weather holds, I work my way around to all of the running lights. In a perfect world, I'd polish around each fitting before I replaced it, but the Cyclo is on hold while other things are getting bought. At least I have the Vulkem for sealing. Oh, and I'm going to dig around under the access panel to look at connections. I'm also going to buy a new connector for around the tongue. I'll need to remember to mark the wires so I don't get crossed up.

Hey, by the way, do you guys (and gals) usually put in a new hitch jack/lift? The OEM jack has kind of a smallish handle and the small wheel is missing. I'm going to pull it when I do the tongue, but wanted some thoughts on replacement or not. Thanks.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Any time I see the box, I get excited....
Attachment 66135
Well to actually take a photo of the first box on your doorstep is really something! Steve and all his good folks at VTS are wonderful people. Always happy to answer questions and help whenever they can. Steve has already thanked me for paying the first two years of college tutition for his kid!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
Well to actually take a photo of the first box on your doorstep is really something! Steve and all his good folks at VTS are wonderful people. Always happy to answer questions and help whenever they can. Steve has already thanked me for paying the first two years of college tutition for his kid!

He must have twins because I thought I paid the college tutition for his kid.....

Great stuff and lots of it are nearly impossible to find. I go there first for things I'm looking for on the Caravel. I really liked the awning I got.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38

Hey, by the way, do you guys (and gals) usually put in a new hitch jack/lift? The OEM jack has kind of a smallish handle and the small wheel is missing. I'm going to pull it when I do the tongue, but wanted some thoughts on replacement or not. Thanks.
We had a manual jack on our Overlander, but replaced it as soon as we could. It makes a lot of difference when setting up.http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...gue-jacks/4511