Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Colleyville , Texas
We recently bought a 67 overlander all original (as of yesterday)we have all the plumbing replaceded and everything works but we are worried about the door not locking or completely closing with out ramming it with all your weight any suggestions on what I can do to get it working better , we are just concerned it might come flying open while on the highway
Mattjmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjmusic View Post
We recently bought a 67 overlander all original (as of yesterday)we have all the plumbing replaceded and everything works but we are worried about the door not locking or completely closing with out ramming it with all your weight any suggestions on what I can do to get it working better , we are just concerned it might come flying open while on the highway
Try lubing it with plain ordinary "silicone spray" and see what happens.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Door adjustment

If you need to force it to get the door to shut, the door has been bent or out of adjustment. There is a video, produced by Airstream service manager, on You Tube that shows how to properly adjust it. I find that a light white grease, like Lubraplate, does the best for the lock cross bolt. Silicone is good for spraying into the key slot for the small pins in it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I am unclear as to whether the problem is a sticky latching mechanism, or a door that doesn't fit into the frame properly. If you activate the latch (as if you were trying to open the door) and push the door closed, does it easily close completely, or is the ramming you describe the force that is required to get the striker lined up with the striker pocket?

If the door/hinges have been bent, and you are having to overcome a problem with the resultant mis-alignment, you may have to reshape your door to get it to work properly. Also check to ensure that you don't have a bent screen door that is getting in the way of your door closing completely.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
If the trailer is not leveled correctly, ie uneven bal jacks, it can cause a problem with the door. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

1967 26' Overlander
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel
I am unclear as to whether the problem is a sticky latching mechanism, or a door that doesn't fit into the frame properly. If you activate the latch (as if you were trying to open the door) and push the door closed, does it easily close completely, or is the ramming you describe the force that is required to get the striker lined up with the striker pocket?

If the door/hinges have been bent, and you are having to overcome a problem with the resultant mis-alignment, you may have to reshape your door to get it to work properly. Also check to ensure that you don't have a bent screen door that is getting in the way of your door closing completely.
I have been playing with it and the outer door handle doesn't move the bolt at all and the lock is just completely not working no matter how I turn it
Mattjmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Those locks are famous for that. The lock pulls out easily, so take it out, clean it, lube it and try again. While its out look it over for wear and damage. North Dallas RV has spare parts if you need them. Another thing....this year and type of door are famous for flying open. I suggest you make, and use, one of the door brace/safety locks .....described and photos here in the Forums.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjmusic View Post
I have been playing with it and the outer door handle doesn't move the bolt at all and the lock is just completely not working no matter how I turn it
In time, many parts, simply just wear out.

Very few last forever.

The bigger problem is that lock is no longer made and you would have to upgrade to a current type replacement.

45 years indeed, is a long long time for many things.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
Just curios how you open the door after you slam it, if the outer handle doesn't work ? Leave a window open !!
If you choose to remove your lock, do it over a large box or some surface other than grass, gravel, or shag carpet ! There are small springs and what not that can easily be lost should the lock be loose or damaged and you don't want to loose parts for this lock !
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Springfield , Oregon
Talking 67 Overlander door lock

I just encountered this sort of issure with my 67. I took the whole lock off and took it apart and couldn't get it to work any better than before I removed it in the first place.

I took the whole lock to an old school locksmith and in 15 minutes (he said) although I left it with him and said "good luck". He repaired it to its original glory. I didn't even ask what or how he did it, didn't care.

Always go to an expert in the field if possible, he charged me $10. I tipped him $20.

It is a special lock in that you should be able to turn the lock both directions from the exterior to open the door, but only clockwise on the interior to open. Counterclockwise locks the door from the inside and makes entry from exterior impossible unless you have a key.

As an aside, this in the same locksmith who was able to make a key for it with dissassembling the lock at all, amazing.
Carrara68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
thanks for the info carrara68. I just love it when I can find old knowledgeable artisans...there are too many skills and way too much information falling off the face of the earth as these old craftsman leave us.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Airstream lock

HEY Carrara68, I could use the name of that locksmith, have a 68 that's lock is pretty sticky, and I'm here in Eugene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrara68 View Post
I just encountered this sort of issure with my 67. I took the whole lock off and took it apart and couldn't get it to work any better than before I removed it in the first place.

I took the whole lock to an old school locksmith and in 15 minutes (he said) although I left it with him and said "good luck". He repaired it to its original glory. I didn't even ask what or how he did it, didn't care.

Always go to an expert in the field if possible, he charged me $10. I tipped him $20.

It is a special lock in that you should be able to turn the lock both directions from the exterior to open the door, but only clockwise on the interior to open. Counterclockwise locks the door from the inside and makes entry from exterior impossible unless you have a key.

As an aside, this in the same locksmith who was able to make a key for it with dissassembling the lock at all, amazing.
Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Sorry bout that huge quote... I'm a noob here...
Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Springfield , Oregon
Locksmiths are great

Heymans lock on 14th in Springfield. Both boys in there are sons of the owner, they are verymmechanical. They also had a couple of rebuild kits for Airstream locks. Selling on ebay for $150, they sell them for $40. Good luck
Carrara68 is offline   Reply With Quote