Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Dometic Refrigerator Service Bulletin

We returned home this past Memorial Day weekend from a 1000 mile roundtrip to Tybee Island, GA, and I noticed my Overlander's refrigerator did not appear to have done much cooling during the journey home in spite of running the entire time with the pilot lit.

The last time this happened (two years ago), lack of cooling was due to rust/crap from the chimney clogging the burner assembly. "My bad" is that my Overlander's owner's manual tells me that cleaning the chimney is a yearly chore, but I only do it when a problem occurs.

Just in case there is anyone else out there running a 43 year-old refrigerator, I felt inclined to post the attached maintenance bulletin.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burner Maintenance.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	103995  

Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Part of your problem on a 43 year old fridge might be the 'spiral baffle'. This is a small piece of sheet metal that is twisted into a spiral and hung from a wire from the top of the 'chimney' opening.

It should be a specific length with a specified # of twists and should also be properly positioned within the chimney (actually called the 'boiler tube'). It's function is to disrupt the heat flow at a specific point within the boiler tube so more heat is transferred to the 'pump tube' that is responsible for heating the ammonia solution as it rises up the tube to the condenser at the top of the unit.

If your spiral baffle is worn, rusted or otherwise compromised, you will not get the performance from your fridge that you should.

I don't believe that you will be able to find a 'new' baffle for your fridge, but perhaps a part from a newer fridge will help if you need one.

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Nope.

Its just rust falling from the chimney.

Tom
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I really respect you, Tom, for running a 43-year-old fridge. I rented a place in college that had a General Motors icebox... ran like a champ but the freezer was only big enough for one package of hamburger. I'm buying a new unit soon. I'd like to have it here so I can frame around it.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
We replaced the 38 year old fridge in the Argosy, not because it didn't work, but because we had to replace the rest of the kitchen. To be fair, the new one is a LOT nicer...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
Tom,
Thanks for the post, I am also running original fridge and just started having an issue with it. I can't seem to regulate the temp. It is always freezing in the refer compartment. I think it is just a pilot adjustment, any ideas?