Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

none , none
Toyota Tundra & 19' Bambi International CCD

Hello Airstreamers:

Would like to have the opinion from the pros here as to whether or not you think that a 2006 Toyota Tundra with 4.7L V8 (rated to tow 7000+ pounds) would pull an Airstream 19' Bambi International CCD (rated with a GVWR of 4500 pounds) if fully loaded with all fluids and personal items?

I may not be 100% exact on my calculations, but I have figured the weight of all fluids (with all reservoirs fully topped-off) at around 500 pounds.

Since this trailer is pretty small inside, I can't imagine that my wife and I could get more than maybe an additional 1500 pounds of personal items inside (even including such heavy items as tools, books, and kitchen ware).

Completing the math equation using my data above, I arrive at a fully loaded weight of approximately 6500 pounds.

Would this be pushing the towing limit of that vehicle?

And just as importantly, what might I be missing in my figures and calculations above that you can see?

Any feedback from you pros will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt
Plotrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
no problem

If you carry that much load, make sure you're properly balanced and distributed. The load of the trailer is not going to be a problem for you.

I tow a 19' Bambi with a 270hp v6 Pathfinder and have pulled with nearly full tanks without a problem.

good luck!
brad.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

none , none
Thank you for your replay, Brad.

I haven’t purchased the Toyota Tundra yet and may hold out for the 2007 model (which I understand, now has a 10,000 pound tow rating).

I also didn’t mention that I am planning on adding the full tow package as an option for the tow vehicle.

Again, thanks for your help and as always, Happy Airstreaming!

Curt,
Seattle, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
If you carry that much load, make sure you're properly balanced and distributed. The load of the trailer is not going to be a problem for you.

I tow a 19' Bambi with a 270hp v6 Pathfinder and have pulled with nearly full tanks without a problem.

good luck!
brad.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Plotrow,

We have friends who pull a 1967 2 axle 24ft Tradewind and have no trouble at all in the Colorado Rockies. Last week caravanning in a group of 3, the Tundra would easily run up close behind our leader, who was driving an '80's 1/2t Suburban(350 V-8) towing a Caravel 17 ft.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
We have a 2005 Tundra and a 2005 19' CCD. The Tundra tows the trailer with full tanks just great. I couldn't be happier with this combo.

You might want to check the weight specs on the trailer here:

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...tccd_spec.html

The 19' has a GVWR of only 4300lbs since the trailer weighs 3575lbs you only have capacity for 925lbs of fluids and cargo.

Brad
Kintscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

none , none
Thanks Brad, I appreciate the info and the link.I'm pretty much convinced that a new Tundra will be my tow vehicle. My main goal is to be as safe as possible and if the 2007 Tundra really will have a 10,000 pound towing capacity as I have seen on a few websites, then I think that the bases will be adequately covered.Best,Curt,Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintscher
We have a 2005 Tundra and a 2005 19' CCD. The Tundra tows the trailer with full tanks just great. I couldn't be happier with this combo.

You might want to check the weight specs on the trailer here:

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...tccd_spec.html

The 19' has a GVWR of only 4300lbs since the trailer weighs 3575lbs you only have capacity for 925lbs of fluids and cargo.

Brad
Old 06-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Hey There,
I have a 2006 Toyota Trundra SR5 V8 with the tow package and pull my 1966 26" Overlander with no problems. I came over Wolf Creek Pass with her and passed everyone I came to like they were standing still. I would suggest for safety that you use an equalizer hitch and trailer brakes.

Robin out
Old 06-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I pull a 78, 24ft Argosy with my new Tundra V8. It has the towing package and is the stepside which has a larger towing capability. The Argosy dry weighs 3800 lbs. (I weighed it on the scales), it has about 150 lbs of "stuff" in it, two pasengers and three dogs in the Tundra, equalizer hitch with sway bar and full gas bottles. It tows like it isn't back there, BUT this is Oklahoma, and we have very few hills. It does pull down a little on the mountains with a steep grade, but generally I am very happy with it. New Bambi's do weigh more, but I think you would be happy with the Toyota. Personally, if you can do it, I'd wait for that new 07 Tundra. Nice truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaving.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	22139  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Toyota Tundra and 19’ Bambi
Curt – I am not a "pro" here, but I have done research on this topic for the past 6 months as I also try to decide on the right Airstream and Toyota tow vehicle for me. The right Airstream for me is no smaller than the 19’ Bambi. But I am currently leaning toward the 23’ Safari SE with L-sofa.
To help you in your calculations on safe towing weight I would suggest that you follow the extensive message threads under Towing in the Airstream Forums.
Please note that in your calculations the 19’ Bambi GVWR of 4500 lbs. is the maximum safe weight of your Bambi after EVERYTHING is loaded in (its UBI – unit base weight is 3680 lbs.) Which means you can add a maximum of 820 lbs. in the form of a hitch, fluids and supplies.
The "pros" here recommend that you build in a safety factor in your calculations: The total weight to be towed should not be more than 75 – 80% of your tow vehicle’s tow rating. This becomes important when going up and over mountains and helps to ensure the life of your tow vehicle.
Other considerations: 1. Many Airstreamers find out that they need a larger Airstream than the first one that they bought. 2. Some "pros" say that there is no such thing as a too large of a tow vehicle. 3. The 2007 Toyota Tundra will be larger and stronger than the previous models but undoubtedly more expensive. 4. Many Airstreamers who have (or who know others who have) a Tundra and a 19’ Bambi say that this is a very good match.
The bottom line: If you are absolutely sure that you will not tow any Airstream larger than the 19’ Bambi, the current Tundra will be a good match. But if you, like so many others, decide to get a larger Airstream, you should wait for the 2007 Tundra to come out at the end of the year. This is my current strategy giving me a built-in buffer period to monitor and evaluate the price of gas, cost of living, and world situation before this recent retiree makes two major purchases of a trailer and tow vehicle.
Good Luck and Keep Us Posted!
Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
Curt-

I noticed you are in Seattle. Be sure to keep an eye out for North West Forum Rallies. There is a great group of streamers and we alwyas have a good time.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...6-a-22491.html

Brad
Kintscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

none , none
Thanks for your detailed reply, Bill. You helped to clarify several things for me.

I am not planning to purchase my trailer and tow vehicle until later in 2007, so chances are excellent that I will indeed buy the 2007 Tundra (which my initial research shows to be quite a formidable tow vehicle, and one that would even allow me to upgrade to a slightly larger AS later on down the road).

Happy Airstreaming and thanks again,

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Toyota Tundra and 19’ Bambi
The bottom line: If you are absolutely sure that you will not tow any Airstream larger than the 19’ Bambi, the current Tundra will be a good match. But if you, like so many others, decide to get a larger Airstream, you should wait for the 2007 Tundra to come out at the end of the year. This is my current strategy giving me a built-in buffer period to monitor and evaluate the price of gas, cost of living, and world situation before this recent retiree makes two major purchases of a trailer and tow vehicle.
Good Luck and Keep Us Posted!
Bill
Old 06-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

none , none
Hi Brad:

Thanks for the tip and the link. Sounds like it would be right up my alley (and right up the road!).

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintscher
Curt-

I noticed you are in Seattle. Be sure to keep an eye out for North West Forum Rallies. There is a great group of streamers and we alwyas have a good time.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...6-a-22491.html

Brad
Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

none , none
Hi Juel:

I am planning on giving serious consideration to the '07 Tundra, depending on how much more the cost is above the 2006 V8 model. Thanks for the info (and for the great photo of your rig!).

Curt,
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I pull a 78, 24ft Argosy with my new Tundra V8. It has the towing package and is the stepside which has a larger towing capability. The Argosy dry weighs 3800 lbs. (I weighed it on the scales), it has about 150 lbs of "stuff" in it, two pasengers and three dogs in the Tundra, equalizer hitch with sway bar and full gas bottles. It tows like it isn't back there, BUT this is Oklahoma, and we have very few hills. It does pull down a little on the mountains with a steep grade, but generally I am very happy with it. New Bambi's do weigh more, but I think you would be happy with the Toyota. Personally, if you can do it, I'd wait for that new 07 Tundra. Nice truck!

Tags
2006 international