Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
All the security measures in the world won't do a bit of good if the thief is good at what he does. A friend of mine installed the biggest and baddest car alarm system money could buy in his BMW, complete with cute little 'Protected by<insert expensive brand name here>' stickers in each of the side windows and a cool little blue LED display on the dash that scanned back and forth reminiscent of KITT from Knight Rider. The car was broken into a month or so later. The only thing stolen was the alarm system. to this day, I think it was taken simply to prove a point.

I leave NOTHING inside my AS that is of any value. If a thief wants couple of boxes of plastic spoons and forks, a bottle or three of holding tank chemical and a pair of filthy work gloves, he's welcome to them. I'm sure my wife would appreciate the gloves disappearing anyway. I intentionally remove the TV, stereo and anything else of value. I leave the curtains open and intentionally leave the wires from the electronics hanging in plain view, so a potential thief knows there's nothing there to take.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
... so a potential thief knows there's nothing there to take.
except the trailer.

a past member here had their 60s trailer stolen from a 'secure storage facility' in the kc metro area...

so they eventually purchased another one.

over a year after the theft, they SAW the trailer in a back yard or alley way...

contacted the police, and eventually got it back.

looked like it was being used as a meth lab or for other self employed enterprises...

not to make ya nervous or anything...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Not too concerned about that. It's parked in my yard, with the dually nosed up to the hitch. They would have to get the truck out of the way(tough to do without me hearing the diesel exhaust and turbo wailing), remove the hitch lock, break in to turn on the power to the electric jack(or at least hotwire it), get hitched up to it at the goofy angle it takes to get it past the oak tree in front of it, and then pull it away. All that takes me close to an hour even WITH the keys. Then there's the issue of me shooting at them with an assault rifle and a couple of large caliber hand guns...

It would be easier just to rob my house.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
We're pretty fortunate to live where we do. Connestee Falls It's a gated community with over 55 miles of road. One gate is manned 24/7 and the other two gates are manned 12/7 and all gates have a gate arm that requires you to have a code to open it. As part of our community we have two RV parking lots. The one we have our Airstream parked is a very short walk from the house.

If you were to get out of there with my trailer, don't even think about turning right out of our development. 6-8% grade with over 20 switchbacks. Turning left is not much better. Wouldn't be too difficult to track them down at the speed they'd be going.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
In this part of the country, motor homes tend to be the target for the thieves. Lot's of basement storage and goodies. Travel trailers tend to be more sparsely equipped and what's left in them sometimes doesn't make it worth the effort.

I am curious whether you left your curtains or shades open where prying eyes could see your contents?

The other issue is the secured storage itself. How do they control the access where you trailer is kept? Any cameras in the area? My last public location where I stored at, access to the facility was controlled by a code which was logged. In addition the RV area within the compound was separately fenced and locked and cameras recording access was recorded.

Jack
The trailer was parked in a "secure" US Storage facility with keyed access, barbed wire, cameras etc. As someone mentioned earlier, all the security in the world doesn't seem to work against a determined thief. My point in starting this thread was to warn folks with the newer Airstreams that feature the very large opening windows that the latches are a snap to open from the outside and that they make the locked door a mere inconvenience for a thief with a screwdriver.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
In this part of the country, motor homes tend to be the target for the thieves. Lot's of basement storage and goodies. Travel trailers tend to be more sparsely equipped and what's left in them sometimes doesn't make it worth the effort.

I am curious whether you left your curtains or shades open where prying eyes could see your contents?

The other issue is the secured storage itself. How do they control the access where you trailer is kept? Any cameras in the area? My last public location where I stored at, access to the facility was controlled by a code which was logged. In addition the RV area within the compound was separately fenced and locked and cameras recording access was recorded.

Jack
I forgot to mention earlier that I keep the curtains closed. The thieves closed the curtains and window behind them so no one could see what they had done until we opened up the trailer several days later.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I'm wondering, in this day of sophisticated and cheap technology, if there isn't some small cellphone-based motion-detector that could be placed in an Airstream. It would be sweet if you could set it to call your personal cellphone so you could respond accordingly.

Anyone out there know of anything?
There was an article in the paper this week (Or was it the internet news?) where a woman got her camera phone back after it was stolen. It apparently called or alerted her in some manner.
I don't know how that works, but the technology is apparently there.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
There was an article in the paper this week (Or was it the internet news?) where a woman got her camera phone back after it was stolen. It apparently called or alerted her in some manner.
I don't know how that works, but the technology is apparently there.
Dave
Many cell phones now have GPS locators built into them. The cell phone company can locate the phone if it is turned on.

All of my company's trucks have the same feature. When one is stolen we can watch it cross over the border into Mexico.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
blah blah blah

I'm wondering, in this day of sophisticated and cheap technology, if there isn't some small cellphone-based motion-detector that could be placed in an Airstream.

blah blah blah
Dude, that is a great idea. I poked around and couldn't fine a motion detector with built in cell phone. I guess you would need to furnish your own, and hook it up to a motion detector with auto dial. Such a device seems like it could make a little extra money for one of the cell phone carriers.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
don't forget the solar panel to keep the phone charged and to run the system.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #31
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
don't forget the solar panel to keep the phone charged and to run the system.
That would rule out covered parking...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
That would rule out covered parking...
maybe for enclosed, but a few hours of late afternoon sun might do the trick.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I poked around a little more, online, and found several systems with internal cell phones that do exactly as we wish -- and use VERY little juice. Most are sold by boat security companies, but mention that they also work for rv/trailers. Seems logical that someone has figured this out.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #34
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Great bevman! How about some links. Thanks!

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 06-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Here's a spendy system, but interesting to look/learn how they work:
https://www.aqualarm.net/store/comer...?idProduct=137

This one has great features, but works only locally (audible alarm, but no cell phone)
RV WIRELESS SECURITY ALARM SYSTEMS - RV & Boat Security Alarm Systems

This is slick, and has weblog interface ($700 + 30/mo monitoring). there is an upgrade that adds GPS, so you can watch where the thieves go (twice $$).
https://www.guardianwireless.com/com...p?idProduct=31
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #36
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
This is interesting- How about a time delay motion activated thing that would activate lets say a 600DB siren inside the trailer. This would probably get their attention! Oh but wait- here in california the thief is protected against owners trying to protect their assets- And if you camp out in the trailer and beat the living tar out of them they win also. It stinks- get a professional hit man- another reason why everyone should be born with a fully automatic weapon. My list is growing.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
As I think about upgrades to electronics (speakers, flat screens, etc.) that we may be interested in the months and years to come, I wonder if I won't try and make as much of it as possible removable. So that when it goes into storage for several months at a time, we'll take it home with us in the tow vehicle. Prevents any concern over moisture, theft, etc.

Dunno if there's a "quick release bracket" for LCDs on the market, but wouldn't that be handy? Unplug the cords on the back, slip it into a padded carrying case and you're off. A thief will look in the window and find that all the good stuff is already gone!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
this months Money magazine (July 2008) has a story on web-enabled security systems. the unit from Alarm.com connects via cell phone.
others mentioned were:
AT&T attrm.com
InGrid ingridhome.com (no relation to my ingrid)
LaserShield lasershield.net
Old 06-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
...another reason why everyone should be born with a fully automatic weapon. My list is growing.
Nope - not for me - if everyone is born with a weapon then you can have mine. I have no need or desire to own one.

I look at it this way, it's all only material stuff. It's all insured. It's all replaceable! If someone wants to rob my TV or stereo they can have it. I have no interest in ending someone's life if they attempt to take something out of my trailer.

Just my 2 cents.

(Doorgunner this is not intended to be a flame. I respect your choice to own a weapon and I will not ridicule you for that choice. I just have a different opinion)

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
FYI.. I know folks that use these and they work well:
DEWALT DS500 : MOBILELOCK GPS Locator with Anti-Theft Alarm

It's made for hiding in your toolbox, or tucking under the hood of your dozer.
It requires a $20/month cellular service contract, however the peace of mind is worth it.
You can add a motion sensor that turns it into a device that protects a whole room (i.e. interior) for not much more, and if they steal your whole trailer, track it via the GPS

I believe you have to call the cell # to activate and deactivate however, so if you're memory challenged, you'll set it off a lot.

Tags
2008 international