Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Storage Shelf for back of 25' International

I am interested in making or purchasing a shelf for the back of my 25' International to store a generator and fire wood. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows where I can purchase that would be even better.
Ken Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
No excess weight on the back of an Airstream. This can lead to frame/shell seperation.
Fire wood and generators ride best in the truck bed.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

What you are asking seems reasonable and logical, but it is wrought with problems.

There is mixed opinions on the subject with regards placing light loads on the rear bumper, but the general consensus is don’t do it. A heavier load such as a generator, or such would likely (IMHO) create handling issues, and place significant stress on the frame.

The portion of the trailer frame that extends back from the rear axle is a giant lever. Think of it as a swimming pool diving board on wheels. Weights placed on the rear of the frame (AKA diving board) will want to bounce up, or down as you travel across bumps, or dips in the road. This places tremendous stress on the frame and shell, and transfers across the fulcrum point (axles) to the hitch point which affects TV handling.

This subject of placing loads on rear bumpers is discussed to varying degrees in the following posts.

Best of luck, and welcome again,

Kevin

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/receiver-on-back-of-a-s-travel-trailer-42072.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f209/bike-rack-rear-bumper-39529.html?highlight=bumper
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f477/looking-for-advice-about-rear-bumper-3482.html?highlight=bumper

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Thanks for the speedy reply. I am using a suburban for my tow vehicle and just can't figure out where is the best place transport the generator with all of the gasoline. In the vehicle or in the Airstream. I have been putting the generator (150 pounds) in the middle of the Airstream inside by the table, but am always in fear of the gasoline spilling in the Airstream. Then I am still trying to figure out where to put the generator in order to keep out of the rain while running. That is a whole nother issue. I was going to store on the back of the Airstream but I quess that option is out. I will probably make some sort of cover so the generator does not get all wet when we have rain down here in Houston.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Have you considered converting it to propane. I converted my Honda because I hate the smell of gas. you could then put it in your suburban and not worry about the smell. There are other benefits such as better long term storage and you could t off of your trailers propane. You do get slightly less power though.
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Have you seen this?

Saw this in the classifieds today... Definately got my attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	84391  

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 07-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
shelf idea

What is that. I solved my problem by selling my 3000is is record time on craigs list. 5hrs and 20 phone calls. I must have sold it to cheap 1300, becasue everyone wanted it. I purchased 2 Honda 2000i generators. No need to convert to propane because they burn such little gas, about half what the 3000i burns. I started them up and man these things are great. Lost of power from just one but with the parallel cable they are unstopable. I powered my 12000 btu window unit with just one with no problem. I hooked up the parallel cable to the other 2000i and tried the same air conditioner and with both on eco mode. The generators did not even surge. I plan on hooking up both to start my 13500 btu AC then turn one off. I keep my AC on highest setting so the compressor does no cycle. One 2000i will run with no problem but my 3000i would have trouble starting sometimes. I don't think I have a hard start kit on my AC but I think I will try to find one. If so I should be able to power the 13500 with just one 2000i. I spent 2050 for both generators with marine covers and the transfer cable. I purchased from a local place in Spring, TX. Great service and friendly people. My opinion is that for an RV with one 13500 btu AC unit the 2 Honda 2000i's is the best generator setup on the market.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Is that a swamp cooler on the back?
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The ad says that it is a generator.

William C. Swinney

Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The trouble that some people will go to to cause more problems. A quick fix is not the long term solution.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I'd guess maybe 250 to 300 lbs (conservative)for the generator, plus another 100 lbs of power cable. Factor that by the distance away from the axles and I would guess this would create a noticable handing change in your TV.

Not to mention any frame issues.

When I taught motorcycle safety we covered the affect of handling changes when riders placed loads on factory luggage racks which were typically located behind the rear axle centerline. The ratio we typically used was 10:1. So for 1 lb placed behind the axle it took 10 pounds in front of the axle to ovecome the weight transfer effect on MC handling. Granted there's more to it than this, and automobiles are different, but the physics are similar.

Back in the 70's we bought an old convertible to restore. It did not run so we loaded on to our car trailer facing backwards because that was the easy (aka Young & Stupid) thing to do. The tongue weight was all screwed up, and we received a unpleasant lesson on the subject while traveling down the interstate on the way home.

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBoy View Post
Is that a swamp cooler on the back?
Might be a rumbleseat for the mother in law.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
If attached to the frame of the Airstream would not think that it would cause frame separation. Anyone know for sure?

Tags
2007 international