Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carbondale , Colorado
Questions about 25ft vs. 28ft.

We would love any opinions on purchasing a 25ft vs. a 28ft. and the two different floor plans in the international 25ft. the ss vs the fb. We were told that the 28 ft. would be significantly harder to tow and maneuver. It would also be much more limiting to were we could go.

In the 25ft. international we were wondering about functionality of the two floor plan SS or FB. We have 2 kids and 2 big dogs.

Your input is appreciated.
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a 31 now have a 25. The 31 is not significantly harder to tow. Of course you can make tighter turns with a 25 and the 25 is easier to back. My main consideration would be there are campsites you can get a 25 in and not a longer AS.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The six-sleeper is something of a misnomer -- it might be six if all the kids are under 12 and stop growing. It can readily sleep 4 adults -- and a fifth if they are cozy with the person on the couch. It comes with the rear corner bed which some couples use well and others are annoyed by.

I like my FB. It puts your living area and a lot of windows at the back of the campsite -- more private and always more scenic. The 25' is actually 25'11". Don't overlook the 27' FB International. I think that is a great floorplan with the fore-and-aft queen. It just feels like a lot more space than the sideways queen of any 25'. At 28'0" the 27' FB is actually an inch longer than the 27'11" 28' trailers -- they probably felt the need to make a distinction between the models.

Maneuvering trailers that are only 2' difference in length is generally the same. I agree with 2airishuman with his 34'-er and now disagree with the thread I started here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tes-24793.html. Every state park you'd consider will have a mix of different length sites -- it's just up to them having a good reservation system that gives length of each site. A 28' will generally fit anywhere a 25'11" trailer would. There are a few older state parks here with short and packed in sites -- I've not experienced them firsthand but heard the same about some Calif space-constrained state parks. It'll always be a mix -- easily accommodated 99% of the time if you plan ahead.

I've always held a reserve plan of setting up my 25'-er and parking the 20' long truck in overflow somewhere -- never have had to do that. I've routinely settled for sites listed at 40'. I'll carefully back the outriggers over any restricting curb at the back of the site and drop them behind the curb [please! get out and check during the process if you attempt this] -- depends on what you see in your area campgrounds.

The tighter restriction in older state forest campgrounds may be height in a lot of places -- I've seen some of those where a popup is the most that would fit in most sites. Nat'l forest campgrounds have always had nice space in my experience.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It's probably about the same experience as changing the vehicle you are driving. Is the larger vehicle harder to drive? Is the smaller vehicle easier to drive?

Given your druthers you are not going to want to cram into the tightest spot you possibly could. You would probably be in the popup/tent area if you did. Airstreams are relatively small compared to many SOBs on the road visiting state and National park systems and there are accommodations for those RVs. I agree with Bob, there is little difference, hold one arm out...there is not even that big of a difference in length. What do you think, would it be harder to pull or park those extra inches? Naw.

If your tv gets larger too than you need more width to make a u-turn. I generally prefer to avoid those as much as possible though.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I just picked up a an 08 international 25 SS. Have 2 kids (1.5/4 yrs). This is my first trailer. the 25 has been very easy to toe & maneuver from day. We were thinking of a 19' but glad we went bigger.

The floor plan works great for us - each kid has their own sleeping area. My youngest is still in a crib so we remove the dinette top and pop her crib in that area at night. Eventually she'll start sleeping on the dinette bed.

Would be tight with dogs, regardless of how long the trailer is... We leave our cats at home...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We have owned both

I can report there are no real difference in towing and maneuvering the 28' vs. the 25'. We are using a Hensley Arrow hitch for the 28' so there is less sway. We like the 2006 28' floor plan. It offers an excellent cat feeding and viewing platform behind the front couch. And I never felt comfortable in the 25' lavatory facilities (and I am an average size person).
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
As Canoestream pointed out - the 27 FB and the 28' are virtually the same length (don't try to understand it, just deal with it). To me the big difference between the 27 FB and the 28 are
A) dinette location
B) closet space

The dinette in the 28 is on the side over a wheel well... so it comfortably seats 2 adults and 2 children. The end dinette on the 27 will really seat four adults and is a bit wider. The 28.... find the closet I dare you. It's twice as big or more on the 27. The 28 has a couch that the 27 lacks.

You choose what works for your family.

Just my two cents.

Paula - oh and take your time, it's easy to buy then trade, but it will cost you a bundle!!!!! Before you purchase go to a big dealer or a big rally and spend real time inside both units. Also check "throne room" and sleeping comfort. If either of those are wrong, they'll become ever bigger irritations over time.

Paula
Old 05-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
We had a 23' International and replaced it with a 27 FB International. We love the layout on the 27 FB, and notice only a small difference in towing (although our TV is a diesel 3/4 ton, so plenty of torque). I also actually think that the 27 is easier to back up. I would say go with the bigger trailer, in the long run I think that you'll be happier.
ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Some like the FB floorplan, others hate it. I'm not crazy about it due to the fact that the entry door lines up nicely with the sewage drain valve on nearly every travel trailer and motorhome made when parked side by side. Not at all pleasant in small campgrounds where the sites are close to each other. They do have their advantages though. There are tons of threads debating the pros and cons of FB Airstreams on here. A quick search should get you more opinions than a bunch of politicians discussing the economy.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
And I never felt comfortable in the 25' lavatory facilities (and I am an average size person).
Average size? Is that you standing behind your truck in your avatar? You might be a tad long in the torso.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
As Canoestream pointed out - the 27 FB and the 28' are virtually the same length (don't try to understand it, just deal with it). To me the big difference between the 27 FB and the 28 are
A) dinette location
B) closet space

... The 28 has a couch that the 27 lacks ...

.... take your time, it's easy to buy then trade, but it will cost you a bundle!!!!! Before you purchase go to a big dealer or a big rally and spend real time inside both units. Also check "throne room" ....
The side couch (not quite a gaucho) on the 27 & 25 FB gives plenty of room to lounge or entertain. And Paula - you hit on one difference. Some have critiqued the 25' FB for the small bathroom. It looks the same on the 27' FB. It's not really a problem for those of average size whatever that is. The floorplan on the 28 at Airstream looks like that bathroom is a bit bigger. Both are adequate for most situations but neither is generous.

Like Paula says, get out there and see some in person. There's no guarantee any of these will be at an AIR rally but your area is fairly active. Keep an eye on the rally calendar. Eureka Timberlines or popups are welcome.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Aspen...you're lucky you found this forum BEFORE making your decision!

We had the 25SS for a very brief time before we traded for the 27FB. Trading to the 27FB was very costly.

The corner bed, cramped toilet and awkward kitchen sink were the negatives that influenced our decision to take the plunge and trade for the 27FB.
(we also damaged the 25SS and were at the dealer getting it fixed when we saw the 27FB!)

We love our present trailer layout. For two adults, two young boys and three dogs it's perfect (for us)
I didn't notice any difference pulling the 27' vs the 25'....then again we traded a Yukon XL for a Ford 250 diesel with a Hensley hitch!

Many VERY costly mistakes that could have been avoided had we found this very informative forum BEFORE we ever got into RVing.

The best advice (like others have stated) is to spend a lot of time in different layouts to see which layout works best for you......try out the bed and toilet....pretend to cook and wash dishes....have everyone sit at the dinette...sit in the lounge area and watch tv.....

Have fun searching for the perfect trailer for YOUR family.

Denns
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1975 29' Ambassador
Greenfield , Massachusetts
I'm not familiar with the floor plans you are deciding on, but as far as interior room. My 29' Ambassador has tons more storage room and alot more kitchen space then my 24' Tradewind. As far as towing is concerned... you notice the Ambassador a just little bit more. Not enough to worry about. Then when it comes to comfort, my kids (and wife), like the Ambassador much better (the kids are 14 & 16).

Thats just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whichever one you choose!!!
msieber109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A lot of national park campgrounds were built at a time when trailers and motor homes were smaller. Maneuvering something longer than a 25' can be a challenge, especially if your not good at backing a trailer. Backing is something that comes with experience.

This can be also true of commercial campgrounds where the roads between sites can be very narrow, turns difficult and trees get in the way too. Some commercial campgrounds try to cram as much as they can into costly acreage (that's why most campgrounds are outside of cities because the land is too valuable closer in. Thus, I favor shorter over longer.

If you drive 18 wheelers for a living, any size is small.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carbondale , Colorado
Thanks for the great information

Thanks so much for the great information. We just ordered our 27ft. FB.
Aspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
Aspen...you're lucky you found this forum BEFORE making your decision!

We had the 25SS for a very brief time before we traded for the 27FB. Trading to the 27FB was very costly.

The corner bed, cramped toilet and awkward kitchen sink were the negatives that influenced our decision to take the plunge and trade for the 27FB.
(we also damaged the 25SS and were at the dealer getting it fixed when we saw the 27FB!)

We love our present trailer layout. For two adults, two young boys and three dogs it's perfect (for us)
I didn't notice any difference pulling the 27' vs the 25'....then again we traded a Yukon XL for a Ford 250 diesel with a Hensley hitch!

Many VERY costly mistakes that could have been avoided had we found this very informative forum BEFORE we ever got into RVing.

The best advice (like others have stated) is to spend a lot of time in different layouts to see which layout works best for you......try out the bed and toilet....pretend to cook and wash dishes....have everyone sit at the dinette...sit in the lounge area and watch tv.....

Have fun searching for the perfect trailer for YOUR family.

Denns
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hi Aspen
Congratulations! You are going to love your trailer for a very long time.
When do you get to pick up your trailer?
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Congrats! I have a 25' SS and love it - but I think I would love the FB more...
I hope it is everything you hope for, enjoy!
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Congratulations, Aspen. Maybe we'll see you as we travel through Carbondale. Where are you getting it from?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
Thanks so much for the great information. We just ordered our 27ft. FB.
Aspen

:si ck: You could say I'm green with envy!

Congrats - You're going to love it!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carbondale , Colorado
Picking up

We are really excited we hopefully will be picking it up the end of this month!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
Hi Aspen
Congratulations! You are going to love your trailer for a very long time.
When do you get to pick up your trailer?
Dennis

Tags
2009 international