Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Question Ocean Breeze Slipcovers - Washable?

Lois here... Anyone out there know if the Ocean Breeze dinette slipcovers are washable and ok for the dryer? I couldn't find a fabric care label.
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankandLois View Post
Lois here... Anyone out there know if the Ocean Breeze dinette slipcovers are washable and ok for the dryer? I couldn't find a fabric care label.
I'm not too certain about spot clean, machine wash or dry clean. I'd look into Sunbrella fabric guidelines.

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankandLois View Post
Lois, I have not been happy about the way to clean the upholstery. The material looks like dry clean only to me. I have spot cleaned with upholstery cleaner and that worked BUT it leaves visible rings unless you feather it out at the edges. On this last weekend trip, I used towels on the seats to avoid spills and dirt.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
When in doubt read the manual

Duh, was I an idiot. In the manual on page E-1, there are instructions for cleaning the lounge and curtain fabric. There is a confusing passage in reference to the lounge and curtain fabric:

"The fabric can be cleaned without being removed from the installation. Simply brush off any loose dirt, roof particles, etc.; hose down and clean with a mild solution of mild soap in lukewarm water..... Rinse thoroughly to remove soap...."

Well, I won't be using a hose inside the trailer.
There is also a passage for stubborn cases which does involve removing the covers and soaking.

Let me know if you need me to quote the passage.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Confusing passage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
"The fabric can be cleaned without being removed from the installation. Simply brush off any loose dirt, roof particles, etc.; hose down and clean with a mild solution of mild soap in lukewarm water..... Rinse thoroughly to remove soap...."
I believe that is the general care instructions for the Sunbrella fabric, which is usually used for exterior awnings. Read in that context it makes sense...

Check out this additional info on the Sunbrella website's Care and Cleaning in the Furniture section, it appears they can be washed just fine. They shouldn't shrink, the fabric is 100% synthetic...

Quote:
Care and Cleaning Indoor Furniture

One of the best ways to keep Sunbrella brand fabrics looking good and to delay deep or vigorous cleanings is to properly maintain the fabrics. This can be accomplished by simply brushing off dirt before it becomes imbedded in the fabrics, wiping up spills as soon as they occur or spot cleaning soon after stains occur.

For Removable Cushion Covers and Slipcovers:

Hand Washing
  • Soak fabric in a solution of 1/4 cup mild soap per gallon of lukewarm water.
  • Use a sponge or a soft bristle brush as necessary.
  • Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
  • Air dry.
Machine Washing
  • Machine wash in cold water with mild laundry soap.
  • Allow Sunbrella to air dry.
Spot Cleaning Upholstered Pieces
  • Apply a light mist of mild soap and water using a spray bottle.
  • Remove stain with a sponge or very soft bristle brush.
  • Air dry, blot, or wet-vacuum excess water.
  • Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all soap residue is removed.
For Stubborn Stains and/or Mildew

Sunbrella fabric does not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric.
  • Prepare a solution of 1 cup bleach and 1/4 cup of mild soap per gallon of clean water.*
  • Soak affected area in solution for 20 minutes.
  • Remove stain with a sponge or clean towel.
  • Rinse thoroughly.
  • Air dry.
*If stain and/or mildew are severe, bleach quantities may be increased. See our Stain Chart for removal of specific stains.
Re-treating the fabric - for ease of cleaning: Sunbrella fabrics have a special finish that enhances water repellency. The finish is designed to last for several years of normal use, but may be refreshed with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™, the preferred retreatment product for Sunbrella fabrics.

Applying 303 High Tech Fabric Guard

• Clean Sunbrella, allow Sunbrella to completely air dry.
  • Apply 303 in a thin, even coat and allow to dry.
  • Repeat step 2.
Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating. A 15-ounce bottle provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of fabric.

Professional Cleaners

In evaluating the services of a professional firm, you should inquire about the firm's experience in working with Sunbrella fabrics and knowledge of cleaning and re-treatment requirements. Do NOT dry clean Sunbrella.

Helpful Hints

Protect the area around your Sunbrella fabric when using a bleach solution - bleach may discolor non-Sunbrella fabrics. Always rinse Sunbrella thoroughly to completely remove bleach and soap.
Sunbrella air dries very quickly. Machine drying is not necessary.
Do not use a steamer or an iron with steam setting. If wrinkles are a concern, use an iron set to "synthetic fabric" heat.

Outdoor Furniture

Sunbrella® fabrics should be cleaned regularly before substances such as dirt and food particles are allowed to accumulate on and become embedded in the fabric. This practice will eliminate the need for more frequent vigorous cleanings.

General or Light Cleaning

• Brush off any loose dirt.
  • Prepare a cleaning solution of 2 ounces (1/4 cup) mild soap per gallon of lukewarm water (less than 100°F/38°C).
  • Use a sponge or a soft bristle brush to clean.
  • Allow cleaning solution to soak into fabric.
  • Allow fabric to air dry.
For removable Sunbrella fabric umbrella and cushion covers, machine wash in cold water (less than 100°F/38°C). Depending on wash load size, use normal amounts of mild laundry soap. Allow fabric to air dry.

Spot Cleaning

• Apply a light mist of our recommended cleaning solution using a spray bottle.
  • Work the solution into the stain by lightly scrubbing the area with a sponge or very soft bristle brush.
  • Blot excess moisture with a clean, soft towel or sponge. Use a Wet Vac if available to remove excess moisture.
  • Repeat these steps until stain is removed.
Heavy Cleaning for Stubborn Stains and Mildew

Sunbrella fabric does not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. To clean mildew, or other stubborn stains:
  • Prepare a solution of 8 ounces (1 cup) of bleach and 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of mild soap per gallon (8 cups) of clean water.
  • Spray on entire area and allow to soak into the fabric.
  • Scrub vigorously with a soft bristle brush, sponge, or clean towel.
  • Allow fabric to air dry.
If stain and/or mildew are severe, bleach quantities may be increased.
For removable Sunbrella fabric umbrella and cushion covers, machine wash in cold water (less than 100°F /38°C). Depending on wash load size, use normal amounts of mild laundry soap and add 1 cup of bleach. Allow fabric to air dry.

Retreating the Fabric

Sunbrella fabrics have a special finish that enhances water repellency. The finish is designed to last for several years of normal use, but may be refreshed after a thorough cleaning or extended use. Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics.

Applying 303 High Tech Fabric Guard

303 should be applied to Sunbrella fabrics after each thorough cleaning, which typically removes the original finish and reduces the fabric's water repellency.
  • Clean Sunbrella fabric, using one of the cleaning methods.
  • Allow Sunbrella to completely air dry.
  • Apply 303 Fabric Guard in a well ventilated area following instructions on the container.
  • Apply 303 in a thin, even coat and allow fabric to dry completely.
  • Apply a second thin, even coating of 303. (Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating. A 15-ounce bottle provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of fabric.)
For more information please see 303 Products - Aerospace Protectant, High Tech Fabric Guard -* World's Leading Automotive Care Products.

Professional Cleaners

In evaluating the services of a professional firm, you should inquire about the firm's experience in working with Sunbrella fabrics and knowledge of cleaning and retreatment requirements. DO NOT dry clean Sunbrella fabrics.

Helpful Hints

• Protect the area around your Sunbrella fabric when using a bleach solution - bleach may discolor non-Sunbrella fabrics. Always rinse Sunbrella thoroughly to completely remove bleach.
  • Sunbrella air-dries very quickly. Machine drying is not necessary.
  • If fabric has some wrinkling, use an iron, if necessary, but only on the synthetic* setting. As some irons exceed the recommended 100°F temperature on the synthetic setting, test a small inconspicuous area before ironing entire piece.
  • DO NOT use a steamer or iron set to steam setting.
Synthetic fabric heat settings normally do not exceed 150°F.
My guess is the drapery fabrics are not the same Sunbrella fabric - it's too heavy-duty for drapes...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Everett , Washington
Thanks, y'all!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Everett , Washington
All clean!

Hello, Y'all!

I washed the tone on tone striped slipcovers today and they did all right. Cold water and very low heat in the dryer.

It was more like a workout getting them off and back on .
The cushions look a bit wobbly, because the slipcovers shrank a tad but I think they will stretch back out with use... They're already starting to relax...

Just thought I'd pass this news along for thsoe who are curious...

Happy cleaning!

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
Old 07-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Lois,
did you get all the bevels etc realigned correctly? I never realized how they were cut a certain way to lie just so...

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Everett , Washington
Yep, getting everything lined up "just right" was the hard part. Today it looks back to normal. Just needed a moment to "relax."

WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)

Tags
2007 international, ccd, international, ocean breeze, slipcovers