Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Ocean Breeze replacement fabric source?

Has anybody found a recent source for the fabric for seat cushions in the Ocean Breeze?

We have a 2009 28' and would like to keep the original look. Airstream parts says they haven't had the fabric since 2010.

Thanks!!!!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Is it Sunbrella? Check their web site out, they have some pretty cool looking fabrics.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Almost all cloth fabrics used in recent Airstream trailers are made by Sunbrella. They might still have the old striped fabric used in the Ocean Breeze models.

http://www.sunbrella.com/en_us/
Old 04-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Thanks guys. Yes, we were aware that it's probably Sunbrella, and plan to contact them next week. But Iwas hoping that someone had actually tracked it down somewhere.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Sunbrella

Try Sailrite in Indiana, online sales I think but you can order samples
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Thanks for the suggestion, Jacquie. I looked and found many beautiful fabrics, but not the original slate on pale grey otiginal Ocrsn Breeze fabric. Have you found it there, or just saying they have lots of nice other choices?

We want to stay exactly true to the original if we can. I just wrote Sunbrella to start the process and see if we get lucky.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Jacquie. I looked and found many beautiful fabrics, but not the original slate on pale grey otiginal Ocrsn Breeze fabric. Have you found it there, or just saying they have lots of nice other choices?

We want to stay exactly true to the original if we can. I just wrote Sunbrella to start the process and see if we get lucky.
We have a 2009 Ocean Breeze. We bought it last year and the cushion fabric has many stains and is in need of replacement.

I was curious if you were able to track down the original fabric?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We contacted Airstream customer service directly regarding the Kiwi herringbone fabric in our 2008 Safari. Airstream provided us the information we needed to source the fabric.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Hey Florida 55--glad for you that Airstream was able to help with your Classic. For the esoteric International Ocean Breeze, they were unfortunately not able to help at all. They referred me to the company from which they bought the cushions and covers, but couldn't give me a url or phone number, and we were unable to definitively identify them--looks like they might be out of business.

Hans627--after no joy from Airstream, I pursued Jacquie's suggestion, looking through hundreds of Sunbrella fabrics with no luck. Then I contacted Sunbrella directly. We've been back and forth for a few weeks, but even with a hi-rez closeup photo of the fabric, none of their designers (let alone customer service people) could identify the fabric. I found some other patterns that might be nice, but I really want to stick with the original look. When I asked them for recommendations, they referred me to the same fabrics I had already found in their line.

So we're going to live with what we have for a while.

Our issue is not so much stains (we're pretty quick to jump on those as they happen) as the fact that a professional cleaning service actually bleached out a small area--no way we can fix that. We have used two services over time, one in Washington State and the other in Texas. The Texans did a great job on two separate occasions, and were very reasonable. We would have had them do it again, but we couldn't get to Texas last year, so we tried it in the Northwest, with the bleach spot result, unfortunately.

Another Ocean Breeze owner told me that they periodically remove their covers and wash them in the washing machine in Woolite, and then line dry them. But they said that putting them back on is quite a big job, and definitely takes two people. There are linings and other stuff inside that are difficult to align properly, and they are a tight fit. But this might be a good solution for you to try. Sunbrella customer service has a video, and may also give you a bit more personal attention if you contact them to give you specific spot cleaning solutions.

We have used Woolite and cold water in the bathtub to successfully wash our Ocean Breeze palm pattern curtains (we air dry them, too). This works very well.

I think that we will probably do a "remodel" next winter or the following winter. We will either use one of the two Sunbrella fabrics that I've found, or we will go a whole different route, possibly going for a retro look to work with the Ocean Breeze's special bulkheads and all aluminum interior, perhaps in white and blue/grey solids in ultra leather to be reminiscent of the original color palette. We already have some cool throw pillows for color accent on what is primarily a white/blue grey/blue/aluminum environment with some neutral clay surfaces and a "cork" floor.

But we'd strongly prefer to stick to the original look.

And we may just wait to see what Airstream comes out with to eventually replace the Serenity for one of the two International décor's in the future!

So if ANYBODY has actually found a source for the Ocean Breeze striped fabric interior, please chime in!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
You might want to check out this resource. They will custom print on fabric. I suspect they have a fabric inkjet printer which should work as long as the base fabric and the inks are compatible. You should inquire about color fastness. Also, can they treat with UV inhibitors.

https://weaveup.com/create/

Here's another site you might want to look at:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/24459901...olstery-fabric
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
You might want to check out this resource. They will custom print on fabric. I suspect they have a fabric inkjet printer which should work as long as the base fabric and the inks are compatible. You should inquire about color fastness. Also, can they treat with UV inhibitors.

https://weaveup.com/create/

Here's another site you might want to look at:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/24459901...olstery-fabric
Thanks, Florida55. Excellent suggestions! We will follow thru with both.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #12

2009 23' International
Tampa , Florida
Ocean Breeze curtain fabric

I'm looking for a few yards of ocean breeze curtain fabric. It is blue with palm trees. Any ideas where I can find this?
mhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:11 AM   #13
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhacker View Post
I'm looking for a few yards of ocean breeze curtain fabric. It is blue with palm trees. Any ideas where I can find this?
We would like to get some of this fabric as well so if you track anything down please let us know.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I have some ocean breeze curtains ( front set and back set ) in very good condition that I'll be selling in early November. PM me if you're interested.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #15

2009 23' International
Tampa , Florida
Hi karenjude. I just sent a PM. Hopefully it was sent ok. I'm new to AirForums.
mhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Update--after tracking down each of the original fabric manufacturers, we have confirmed that all Ocean Breeze materials were created for Airstream and are out of print.

The very close striped fabric match for upholstery so helpfully posted earlier on this thread is unfortunately made from 100% cotton, and the manufacturer does not recommend it for application as seating in our coaches due to lack of fade resistance.

So we are almost finished designing a new interior look for the Ocean Breeze refurbish that will use more modern and versatile material and be even brighter, simpler, more durable, and a bit more fun, taking the Ocean Breeze feeling to a new level.

In combination with our earlier upgrades to all LED lights from the original halogens, and then later the custom addition of dimmer switches for both of the main cabin light banks, we think that our 2009 28' will have many of the advantages found in later model coaches, but will preserve and enhance the unique design features of the Ocean Breeze models. Just no ducted A/C :-(

If all goes well, we should be finished by the end of the year.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #17
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Update--after tracking down each of the original fabric manufacturers, we have confirmed that all Ocean Breeze materials were created for Airstream and are out of print.

The very close striped fabric match for upholstery so helpfully posted earlier on this thread is unfortunately made from 100% cotton, and the manufacturer does not recommend it for application as seating in our coaches due to lack of fade resistance.

So we are almost finished designing a new interior look for the Ocean Breeze refurbish that will use more modern and versatile material and be even brighter, simpler, more durable, and a bit more fun, taking the Ocean Breeze feeling to a new level.

In combination with our earlier upgrades to all LED lights from the original halogens, and then later the custom addition of dimmer switches for both of the main cabin light banks, we think that our 2009 28' will have many of the advantages found in later model coaches, but will preserve and enhance the unique design features of the Ocean Breeze models. Just no ducted A/C :-(

If all goes well, we should be finished by the end of the year.

Just curious if you got your project finished and would be willing to share some pictures.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
We have a 2007 Ocean Breeze. We replaced our cushions last year as they had worn out, both fabric and tge cushions themselves. Looked everywhere for the same or very similar fabric. We eventually settled on a wider stripe that was a bit darker blue. We have been enjoying it and the new, thicker cushions. Will try to post a pic to show another fabric that works well with the palm tree curtains
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160629_203553.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	284289   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160618_170116.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	284290  

peloroja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
One more w better shot of curtains
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160618_170134.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	284291  
peloroja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Hi Hans.

After much research, we recently took delivery of our updated 2009 Ocean Breeze 28'. We decided that upgrading the foam density and changing to the more modern configuration of cushion shapes made sense, and we also decided that ultra leather was also the way to go. That meant abandoning the idea of striped seating, and once we embraced that we were looking to do an all new interior design that would be the updated version of the Ocean Breeze, it opened all sorts of possibilities.

Ultraleather has a brand new fabric pattern, the linen family, which has a linen pattern embossed onto the cloth. It has a very slight satin sheen to it as well. To complement the Ocean Breeze's white gaucho, dinette, and cabinetry, we chose the white linen. But to be true to the original Ocean Breeze, we wanted a different fabric for the gaucho arms and back. Here we chose Platinum, also in the linen texture. It's not terribly far from the original, but we hoped it would approach the feel of the inner aluminum interior, and are pleased with the result. We considered going all white, as many of the more modern coaches are designed, but by sticking to the original ocean breeze design of two different colored fabrics, the back and arms blend into the aluminum, making the white seating areas appear less massive.

Our original two color (white on blue background) palm curtains were hard to give up. After searching hundreds of palm patterns, we finally found a cloth with full color palm fronds and hibiscus on a blue background. Unfortunately (here we go again!), we bought the last of this now discontinued fabric. However, I do believe the same fabric is still available with a tan background, and that is what WE would have used for the Tommy Bahama. And you guys could certainly do a new color palette with it--I think the tan background with green fronds and pink and white hibiscus it would look stunning for a Flying Cloud update, for example.

We've moved off the mainland and will only be visiting the Airstream for a once yearly annual trip, but I did manage to grab these two photos of the gaucho with closed curtains before we left--one in daytime, and one in the evening.

The throw pillows are all from Pier 1.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hauser Ocean Brz evening_ch.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	284311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hauser Ocean Brz Daytime.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	284312