Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Bedroom Curtain Supplements

We have a 28" International Ocean Breeze, and find that it some location, the lined curtains cannot block out enough light--usually a high intensity park light just outside, for example.

So far, our best solution has been functional, but pretty tacky--we've patched together silver auto windshield covers to fit between the curtains and the window, silver side out of course!

Has anyone come up with a more elegant solution? We'd rather not re-line the curtains with darker lining for several reasons--letting light in during the day while closing the curtains for privacy, the look of the coach from the outside at night with the palm trees shining out, etc.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Bedroom Curtain Supplements

If you sew you may want to consider a fabric called "Dim Out". It blocks 50%-75% of light depending on the strength that you buy. I am going to make backings for my curtains to be used when I want to block sunlight or nightlights that are too strong. I will not reline the curtains just make a backing slightly smaller that the curtain and attach with velcro. I will be using mine primarily when we are storing our Airstream under our shelter and sunlight hits the rear bedroom windows. I want to protect the curtains from damaging UV rays.
Mrs. Silverbee

Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Deford , Michigan
I plan on doing something similar to Silverbee. I can't sleep with much light. I plan on cutting up a curtain from squall mart that blocks light.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
This is not elegant, but does insulate better when it is cold or hot. Reflectix has 2 shiny sides with something like bubble wrap between the foil. We Velcro'ed it each bedroom window and it keeps the room pretty dark. Also works on the fan and skylight openings, or anywhere else. With a FB, no one can see it easily with the tinted rock guards. RV stores have it and I've seen it at Lowe's.

If you're going to do something simple and practical, this works.

Gene
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Thanks for checking in, folks! We do already have the silver one side/white other side auto windshield sunshades cut to size and held in place with velcro, but it's pretty funky looking. Wouldn't permanently re-line the curtains because with our Ocean Breeze, the curtains are very special both when closed for privacy during daytime and the outside light lights them up, and when viewed from the outside at night with the inside lights backlighting them.

If nobody comes up with a better idea, I'm currently shopping for some of these that are a bit better fit so I can make them prettier. Two years of using them with velcro has also taught us what to do and not to do with velcro! Turns out that Dollar Stores standard $1.00 windscreen sunshield is pretty much the perfect fit for a 28' International's back window, so i'm set there. Just looking for the taller ones required for the side windows. The hunt is on!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Blackout Solution for Airstream Bedrooms

It's almost a year later, and I'm happy to say that we've found a very successful and easy solution. We've found auto window shades that fold on themselves with a flexible wire framework "SunShades". We ordered these from a local NAPA auto parts store--they were happy to look in the catalog and find the one that was closest to our curtain "rods" measurement distance. This makes them both easy to store and very flexible when sandwiched between the upper and lower curtain guides for the side and back bedroom windows. A very quick and easy install and de-install each evening and morning, and they fold and then store easily in that small space between the bed and the wardrobes. For a cover for the fantastic fan, we took a smaller set of the same shades, and stitched velcro onto the edge in four places. With the self adhesive matching velcro on the frame of the fan unit, it takes seconds to install and remove this cover, and it stores nicely with the window covers in the same place. All has silver facing outside, and black insides, and you can close your curtains over them for a very nice finished look.

Hope this helps.

Tags
2009 international