Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Aluminum Quality on New Streams.

I touched on this awhile back, but was wondering. How different is the Aluminum on the current Airstreams. I have seen the Shiney Vintages. But 15 or 20 yrs down the road if my clearcoat was to flake away, would it be probable to get a mirror finish? Or is the aluminim too thin or not the same composition as the older ones.

Just curious. What got me thinking of this is, I'm a huge Purple Martin lover. I have 3 rather large bird homes that are placed next to my stream and the bird poop is already becoming a daily chore. I know in August I won't want to clean her that often. So I was thinking, Bird Poop, Aistream uncovered with the Texas heat and sun, eventhough I'm gonna wax her twice a year, will be VERRY difficult to maintain a perfect clear coat for the long haul.

What say you?

Probably gonna move the houses next year. Caught me off guard this year. I live in a residential area and don't have much space to relocate the houses because no matter where they get moved it will be too close. You see these purple Martins come back to the same house every year and have their babies. This is my 9th generation.They fly all the way from South America to here....Just hate for them not to come "home"

Thanks in advance,
Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
They are different in a number of ways. The most polishable 'streams had alclad until the late 70s (?? subject to revision and correction ).

Intervening years had smooth but non-alclad surface -- still polishable.

The current finish has a very definite grain machined into the surface (mill finish). Anything can be polished but this would take a colossal effort and probably never pretend to be a classic polished Airstream. The bigger switch from classic lines in my opinion was when they went to the widebody (for coaches longer than 22') in the 1994 production year and Airstreams lost the smooth arc contours and incorporated a flatter top contour.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
So I was thinking, Bird Poop, Aistream uncovered with the Texas heat and sun, eventhough I'm gonna wax her twice a year, will be VERRY difficult to maintain a perfect clear coat for the long haul. What say you?
I say enjoy your Purple Martins and your Airstream, and don't worry (too much) about the perfect finish. The former far outweigh the latter. 20 years from now, if you look at your Airstream's perfect finish, you'll feel somewhat happy. But 20 years from now, if you look back at 20 years of Purple Martin memories and a somewhat weathered Airstream, you'll smile and you'll have stories to tell.

I wonder if you could relocate the houses each year, maybe shift them over a couple feet at a time. Would the birds notice? Bird house near airstream is great. One of the first priorities in my parking spot in the yard is being able to put a bird house in a location where I can see it from the seating position (I spend some time in the Airstream even when parked in the yard).

> 2011 Superduty Diesel

My tow vehicle is jealous of your tow vehicle
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm3824 View Post
I say enjoy your Purple Martins and your Airstream, and don't worry (too much) about the perfect finish. The former far outweigh the latter. 20 years from now, if you look at your Airstream's perfect finish, you'll feel somewhat happy. But 20 years from now, if you look back at 20 years of Purple Martin memories and a somewhat weathered Airstream, you'll smile and you'll have stories to tell.

I wonder if you could relocate the houses each year, maybe shift them over a couple feet at a time. Would the birds notice? Bird house near airstream is great. One of the first priorities in my parking spot in the yard is being able to put a bird house in a location where I can see it from the seating position (I spend some time in the Airstream even when parked in the yard).

> 2011 Superduty Diesel

My tow vehicle is jealous of your tow vehicle
Thanks for the Bump.

I have not moved the Bird houses and am just gonna roll with the punches. & generations of Purple Martins..Just doesn't seem fair to move the house.

Thank-you.
Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 international