Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
? about a 19ft International

OK Its been a while since ive been on and to make a long story short i no longer have the 29ft er and down sized to a Nissan frontier and no longer have the 2000 Chevy half ton.
Now aim looking for a new trailer and need something that the frontier wont have to much trouble with, and from what Ive read it looks like a 19ft trailer would be my best bet plus i wouldnt mind a bit smaller trailer.
Even thought i do miss the 29ft er.

here's my question who out there tows with a V6 truck or SUV and what are the down side if any you have had?

my frontier is rated at 6500lb towing capacity and i would most likely tow with no water and packed as light as possible.

now for the trailer question's to those out there enjoying a 19ft Airstream hows your comfort level? do you think you should have went bigger?
or is it just right? right now aim just looking for pros and cons i might just hold off until i can afford to get a 25 to 27 ft trailer? were still just looking.

as a side note aim 6'3" the wife's 5'7" no kids but that could change you never know. the trailer will be used for vacations and weekend get aways i would have to say the longest i for see using the trailer would be to go to Yellowstone for fishing or trip similar to this.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We tow our 20' Argosy with a 255-hp V6-powered minivan. I can't really complain that much about power. The Frontier's V6 is a rather potent one; that's a really nice smaller truck.

My opinion: for two, I think of a sub-25' trailer as "camping" or "travelling" rather than towing a big, substantial mass behind a big truck. (I know, I know - I generalize.) While I look wistfully at 25FBs, there is something really nice to a compact trailer and a compact tow vehicle.

I think you'll get as many different answers to this as there are trailer owners. We find a Caravel to be too cramped, but our Minuet is just right. Others find their Minuet is a weekend-only trailer, but a 25' is just right...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
My wife and I love our 19-foot Bambi. It will go anywhere our pickup does, although with a newer Tundra 5.7 v8, power is no problem. We sometimes travel with two granddaughters (8 & 10) and a small dog, which gets a little crowded in bad weather. However, when it is just the two of us and the dog, I think we could fulltime in it.

The only concern may be your height, and the bed. I'm 5'9" and heavy set, and it's cozy but fine for us. However, at 6'3", you may find it a little cramped, or your feet may dangle off the end of the bed. I'd check this out before you buy, as this might be a problem...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
That 48-inch wide boxed-in corner bed may be a problem for you. IMO, it's a deal breaker. It's too small and claustrophobic for two adults. Not getting restful sleep can ruin your vacations. OTOH, others seem to make it work.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
That 48-inch wide boxed-in corner bed may be a problem for you. IMO, it's a deal breaker. It's too small and claustrophobic for two adults. Not getting restful sleep can ruin your vacations. OTOH, others seem to make it work.

The bed was really my only worry besides the bathroom area ?
i am a little on the big side but not overly Hugh just a big guy (husky lol)

what i really want is a 23 ft er with a queen bed that would be nice but it a little to heavy for my truck
Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Hi, I'm 6'4" (200lbs) and I have no complaints about the 19, both in terms of sleeping and living arrangements. I love being able to walk fully upright and not banging my head which is more than I can say for 90% of the SOBs we looked at a year ago. The bed is a bit cozy for my wife (5'5") and I, but hey, it's "camping" and we have the King Sized bed at home to make up for it! Otherwise, everything is perfectly layed out, imo. Having spent many days/nights in ours I couldn't think of a single thing I could improve in terms of space efficiency.

We're planning on doing a month-long trip in it this summer. Okay so we can't bring a ton of gear along with, but honestly, I find that life is better when you just try to live simply and carry just the essentials. Best of luck!

ps: I even find I can stand up fully in the shower. I wouldn't want to go smaller but still have no complaints.
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
oh yeah as soon as the weather breaks we plan on a trip to A/S of Arkansas (on the bike) the have a couple 19ft er's on there web site that we wanna take a look at
Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
thanks for the info, now all i need to do is talk the wife into a 19fter she wants to hold out and get a bigger trailer.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I've used a Nissan V-6 Frontier for almost 2 years now to tow a Bambi 19' and more recently a Sovereign 21', both on the freeways and in the mountains over 9,000' with no complaints. I have a 6 speed manual transmission which seems to have a good set of gear ratios for going up the mountains.

The Sovereign weighs 3,900 lb, about 400 lb more then the Bambi empty, with a 5,500 lb gross weight.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Been towing our 22' Safari for almost 3 years now with a Honda Ridge line. No problems and no regrets.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Do you fit?!

We have 19' Ocean Breeze. We have two Westies and we are both medium stature and we enjoy the OB but here are my nit noids so to speak:
- we have the upgraded A/C and it blows on the person lying next to the bathroom when it's on and it comes on with a loud thunk!!! (wife n.n.)
- towing is a breeze and we had a 2007 Sequoia with the 4.7 l engine.
- however, backing a royal pain in the ass because it backs on a dime...I had a 1972 23' dual axle AS and it backed fine...but this backs "instantly" and after several years I still might have to try more than once to back it correctly...that's the single axle.
- don't particularly like the single axle for safety reasons but at 19' it's all we could get.
- you must get the convection/mw combination. Although some complain it's too low there is not enough counter space for a separate mw.
- i like the rear bed arrangement. all of the noise in a campground comes from the front...guess where front beds are located...
- i love the cork vinyl floor...or maybe it's cork...but it absorbs a little water but is "soft" and forgiving.
- we love the panoramic windows and westies park themselves at each window to observe the goings on
- don't love the water faucet that pulls out but doesn't rotate...leaks sometimes due to loose connection at the faucet head
- love the OB decor with palm trees on door handles and curtains and overhead grass...
- but we are looking to upgrade to a 25' FC with rear bed because the extra living space would be nicer.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This is a pretty old thread...and the original poster still shows as "still looking"... wonder if they ever got an AS?

Anyhoo, since it's avctivated again, I'll chime in, too...we have a 19' Safari SE SL and we have enjoyed our little trailer very much. It's perfect for us and they way we travel and camp. Like Ahab said, no problems to speak of and no regrets.

We have friends with a 16' Ocean Breeze and they love it. We also have a friend with a 25' OB and she love hers...so it's really what you need/like/want and how you travel. Guess that's why them make different lengths!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 international