Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Zamp solar

I am considering the purchase of Zamp 200 watt portable suitcase to plug into the port by the hitch to keep my batteries charged.
Is there anything I need to do other than set it up in the sun and plug it into the TT ??
Also those of you that own one can you / or how do you secure it for theft prevention ???
Harry
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As long as you get the "normal" Zamp setup, it has a built in charge controller along with the panels. It simply plugs into the provided port on the newer AS models. The setup weighs 50 lb so it's not something the kids are going to carry away. A chain will take care of casual "borrowers". For more aggressive bandits with abrasive disk metal cutters ... not any good options. Less than 30 seconds between stopping their truck and driving away with it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I bought a cheaper Renogy 100 watt panel with charge controller to "test drive" some solar. I'm only commenting because, with our Lifeline batteries, the 100 watt seems to do a great job supplementing our generator. Depending on use, the $150 100watt setup might work for you.

As far as theft, there's not much I can do with my setup except keep it out of sight after dark.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
can you plug this in just like the Zamp solar ??
The renogy you purchased .
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

All of the common portable solar setups will plug right into the trailer. They all come with built in charge controllers. The only thing you need to be careful of are the "expansion packs" for the portable setups or the raw panels.

The connectors used for this stuff are not as standardized as you might like. Going from one guy's product to another may require you to wire up an adapter. That is not a real big deal.

Bob
Old 06-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I normally only use my Zamp 160 while at the trailer. Even then, especially in public campgrounds, I lock it to the trailer a-frame with a very thick cable and these Master locks http://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/40DPF.

I riveted a quarter inch steel plate along the interior panel frame and drilled a hole for the lock. It's a tight fit. The cable just fits through the lock and plate. I wish that I could post a photo....all out of space here.

Zamp really should offer a robust security attachment for their panels.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unfortunately, a cheap abrasive disk on a cordless drill will make short work of any cable or chain you can find. Anybody who really wants to steal something like this will only be slowed down for a very short while.

Over the years, I (and others around me) have left all sorts of things lying around camp sites. In decades of doing this, I have never had anything wander off. I have never heard of anybody else I've camped with have the issue either. It *is* something that could happen. I have been robbed while camping. They punched out the window of the vehicle in a parking garage to do it. I won't go into where, but it was pretty much the last place on earth you would expect it to happen. AFIK Sergeant Preston is still on the case ...

Bob
Old 06-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Unfortunately, a cheap abrasive disk on a cordless drill will make short work of any cable or chain you can find. Anybody who really wants to steal something like this will only be slowed down for a very short while.

Over the years, I (and others around me) have left all sorts of things lying around camp sites. In decades of doing this, I have never had anything wander off. I have never heard of anybody else I've camped with have the issue either. It *is* something that could happen. I have been robbed while camping. They punched out the window of the vehicle in a parking garage to do it. I won't go into where, but it was pretty much the last place on earth you would expect it to happen. AFIK Sergeant Preston is still on the case ...

Bob
That's why you are best off buying the largest ZAMP panel that you can afford and maybe more important that you can handle (weight wise). Batteries will charge quicker with larger panels and you might not have to wait as long in/around your trailer. I never leave the trailer with my panel out, even when locked.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Using a Battery Tender and extension cord to charge

Rather than using 50amp x 30amp x 15 amp and dog bones, is there a reason why I can't connect a Battery Tender to 2017 AS 25 FC while parked at my house? If so is there any special way to connect it to battery bank? Any advice is appreciated
Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
Rather than using 50amp x 30amp x 15 amp and dog bones, is there a reason why I can't connect a Battery Tender to 2017 AS 25 FC while parked at my house? If so is there any special way to connect it to battery bank? Any advice is appreciated
Your '17 should have the Zamp port by the battery box. If it's wired to the Zamp format, you'll need a polarity-reversing patch cord to use that port with a regular battery maintainer, but Airstream wired my Zamp port to the SAE standard so I need the polarity-reversing patch cord for my solar, my Keyline battery maintainer plugs right in. That's how I store my trailer, I have 120v where my trailer is stored, I just leave the little maintainer plugged into the Zamp port and it should keep my batteries happy.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
I've done exactly what you suggest with a CTEK smart charger. Some CTEK units (I'm using the model 7002) come with a fused cable with eyelets on one end for connecting directly to the battery terminals and a quick connect plug on the other end. The quick connect plugs up to the charger cord. Because of the distance involved I also used a CTEK charger extension cord to reach the interior of the trailer. (Note: I had to cut the quick connect off of the extension cord to fish it through an existing hole in the trailer, then reattached it). The charger resides inside the trailer and is plugged into a 110V trailer outlet when I'm hooked up to AC power from the garage using a dogbone.

I don't know what accessories are available for the Battery Tender, but basically you're looking for a direct fused connection between the battery and the charger. Using this method, you'll want to be sure your battery disconnect switch in the trailer is engaged so that only the charger is supplying juice to the battery when the trailer is plugged into shore power.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
I am considering the purchase of Zamp 200 watt portable suitcase to plug into the port by the hitch to keep my batteries charged.
Is there anything I need to do other than set it up in the sun and plug it into the TT ??
Also those of you that own one can you / or how do you secure it for theft prevention ???
Harry
I have the Zamp 200 watt unit. As has been mentioned, it just plugs right up to the existing port; nothing else is required as the controller on the Zamp monitors the state of charge. As for theft prevention, I've not been bold enough to leave it set up while we're away from camp.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
If so is there any special way to connect it to battery bank? Any advice is appreciated
Buy one of these for $7 and connect the battery tender to it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Buy one of these for $7 and connect the battery tender to it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You don't need that, unless perhaps you have some prehistoric BatteryTender product. The current BatteryTender products have an SAE connector already like my Keyline maintainer (the same connector as the Zamp inlet on the OP's 2017 trailer) and the Zamp inlet is fused, and I suspect the BatteryTender has internal protection. My Keyline has a fused line as well as internal protection.

The worst case is that you might have to reverse the wire where the Zamp inlet attaches to the battery, or make up a polarity-reversing patch cable (depending on how Airstream wired the particular unit.)

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I just purchased a Zamp 160 portable panel and would like to connect to the battery, I do not have the factory installed port. Can I buy the factory port or is there a connector that I can attach to the battery that the Zamp cable will plug into? I have looked on Amazon and found connectors that have the cigarette plug but no the Zamp plug (not sure of the technical name)

Thanks for you help

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
I just purchased a Zamp 160 portable panel and would like to connect to the battery, I do not have the factory installed port. Can I buy the factory port or is there a connector that I can attach to the battery that the Zamp cable will plug into? I have looked on Amazon and found connectors that have the cigarette plug but no the Zamp plug (not sure of the technical name)

Thanks for you help
The "Zamp plug" is just a 12V SAE connector wired backwards from the standard polarity. They're available all over the place, I bought some so I could build an adapter allowing me to use either a battery maintainer or the Zamp portable panels with that port without swapping any wires on the fly.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Pretty sure I just purchased it online from a supplier of Zamp pannels. Just drilled a hole in side of battery box. I have a 160 watt panel and it works great. Seams to get heavier as I get older.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
West Linn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The "Zamp plug" is just a 12V SAE connector wired backwards from the standard polarity. They're available all over the place, I bought some so I could build an adapter allowing me to use either a battery maintainer or the Zamp portable panels with that port without swapping any wires on the fly.
Smart. I just figured out that they don't wire it backward. The standard is that the positive side should not be exposed. Turns out the battery tender people wire it the other way and since they use the SAE adapter the most they became the industry standard. HAHA. I had to get the adapter too. https://www.solaroverstock.com/colle...everse-adapter
Recneps is offline   Reply With Quote