Old 07-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #71
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Series can be better if you've no shade issues, and the higher voltage from panels in series can reduce DC losses en-route to the controller if your cables are a little thin. (This assumes your controller can handle the higher voltage.)

Parallel can be better if one panel gets shaded, but the lower voltage means that in general you should try to use thicker, heavier gauge, cables to reduce losses between the panels and the controller.

With shade you lose output either way, but with parallel, if one panel is shaded the other panel still produces full output. With series, one shaded panel will more severely reduce total output.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #72
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Series can be better if you've no shade issues, and the higher voltage from panels in series can reduce DC losses en-route to the controller if your cables are a little thin. (This assumes your controller can handle the higher voltage.)

Parallel can be better if one panel gets shaded, but the lower voltage means that in general you should try to use thicker, heavier gauge, cables to reduce losses between the panels and the controller.

With shade you lose output either way, but with parallel, if one panel is shaded the other panel still produces full output. With series, one shaded panel will more severely reduce total output.
Thank you, that makes sense. My cables are all 8 guage on the trailer and between panels, though the controller I use for the truck is 12 guage but I only use 100 watts for that.

I'm gonna have to do a bunch of experimentin with my 2 controllers and 4 panels.... it's fun though!

TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #73
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well I have to say I'm very impressed so far with these renogy eclipse panels. They are so much lighter and easier to move around than the portable one is. I'm glad I got these and not flexible ones cause these are easier to make legs and stands for. I'm still testin output but they seem to output more amps than my old 100w suutcase, too. Great deal for 175 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170706_162657.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	288938  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #74
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Over 8 amps from 1 panel under clouds today well before noon. Pretty good I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170716_111548.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	289621