Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Heard that. Only 1 AGM so that is the weak spot. Will see how I do next month
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #42
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Networking = a computer that talks to each of the solar charger converters *and* talks to current monitoring gear. It reads back from each charge converter what it has available and sets the parameters of the converter to do the best job possible.

Hookking panels in series or parallel has noting to do with networking independent charge converters.

===

With one AGM group 27 you will have about 50AH of usable capacity. If it's a group 24, you will be at about 40AH usable. It is not unusual to only get to 80% capacity in a "quick charge" situation. That drops you back to 30Ah for the group 27 and a bit over 20AH for the group 24.

One of the most common things to do when running on battery is to over estimate the power available. The result is permanently trashing the battery in fairly short order. One then blames the result on everything and anything *other* than "I made a mistake".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
I have been going over this with Go Power tech support (this is brand I have on roof) and looks like I can plug in 100 watt portable panel in parallel with rooftop 100 watt. If I am going to plug in 100 through the zamp if needed why not plug into roof? Maybe only a few amps more but why not if just plugging in anyway?

The portable has to be without controller. There is only 1 100 watt panel on roof. So, disconnect the MC4 wires on roof panel from SAE connector running to 30 amp controller in galley, plug in branch connectors to each MC4, plug 5 foot MC4 extension into branch connectors so panels are in parallel, and connect SAE to branch connectors. Finally connect portable to MC4s dropped down from roof to longer extensions to the panel.

I asked the tech about difference in length of wires (one short and other 30 feet) and he said they do not need to be same length but potential for some voltage drop. Also plugging in the portable “parallel hot swapping” not an issue. I have a 30 amp fuse and 30 amp controller so that is fine

When not in use I will find caps for the open MC4 connections

Anyone see any holes in this? Maybe just a few more amps but I need to get this figured out anyway.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unless the panels are pretty much same / same, all the power comes from the one(s) in the most light. If they are from different manufacturers, even in the same light, one may hog the system.

The simple answer is to put the stuff on the roof and accept the result ....

Bob
Old 08-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Yes. Actually had more from tech support at Renogy that said connecting a portable with controller to a battery with another solar connected with own controller would not work as Renogy sees the other controller. Not sure about this as I did connect the Renogy to battery with alligator clips and both controllers seemed to still work. Did see forum post that said they had this problem with factory installed solar and a portable
Old 08-29-2018, 03:06 AM   #46
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
From what I've read on a truck camper forum - "if you have two panels and two controllers hooked up to the same batteries, they will work together to charge up the batteries the two chargers may not agree on what constitutes a full charge, but that’s ok."

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/t...anel/?hl=solar

If you want to go deep into solar, read this: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/t...-power-scotty/
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
Yes. Actually had more from tech support at Renogy that said connecting a portable with controller to a battery with another solar connected with own controller would not work as Renogy sees the other controller. Not sure about this as I did connect the Renogy to battery with alligator clips and both controllers seemed to still work. Did see forum post that said they had this problem with factory installed solar and a portable
Hi

The controllers will not shut down or catch fire. They also will not really put much power into the battery from the "smaller one". Unless you watch the current out versus the voltage in on both controllers, this isn't very obvious.

Bob
Old 08-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Hooked up 100 panel (no controller) in parallel with 100 on roof. Turned on refer, water pump, heater and fan on full and when battery got under 90% amps hit 6.8 from panels. Full sun and portable on 40’ extension wires. To be careful I unhooked battery when I unplugged roof wires before connecting again with the branch connectors so I had quick connect for the portable.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
New thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ie-186395.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote